A New Level of Insanity

67RModel

Out of curiosity related to the other thread on here about automatics I was on TruckPaper trying to see how may trucks are for sale with autos vs manuals (there are more autos for sale). In the process of doing that I stumbled across a listing for a brand new 3 axle Peterbilt 389 dump truck. I included the link to it below. The price is absolute lunacy: $319,500. For a 15' long, steel body, tri axle, dump truck? Now whoever buys it needs to pony up and additional $38,340 in Federal Excise Tax. And possibly pony up an additional $19,170 in state sales tax. So definitely $357,840 or potentially $377,010 out the door. WTF? For a 3 axle dump truck? I want to meet the guy who buys it.

https://www.truckpaper.com/listing/for-sale/217915375/2023-peterbilt-389-dump-trucks

my 2022 Kenworth T880 was $239,000 delivered with body, high lift gate, and pintle hitch attached plumbed for air brakes. 

the 2023 on order was quoted at $265  for cab chassis. 

dealer is pushing for signed contract and wanting $10,000 deposit. 

we are waiting for the price to drop 80-90 grand.

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

2 hours ago, tjc transport said:

my 2022 Kenworth T880 was $239,000 delivered with body, high lift gate, and pintle hitch attached plumbed for air brakes. 

Your gonna have a long wait..🤔

2 hours ago, tjc transport said:

80-90 grand ?   I wouldn't get my hopes up. Even if it did, trucks'd be get'n paid $70.00/hour then.  Typical Jersey big power crossmemberless steel body dump truck will be around 300K and a aluminum body one around 320.   The price of them is insanity.  A nice daycab tractor is easily over 250K.  Who is it that's make'n the money to afford these ?  

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mark T said:

23 minutes ago, Mark T said:

80-90 grand ?   I wouldn't get my hopes up. Even if it did, trucks'd be get'n paid $70.00/hour then.  Typical Jersey big power crossmemberless steel body dump truck will be around 300K and a aluminum body one around 320.   The price of them is insanity.  A nice daycab tractor is easily over 250K.  Who is it that's make'n the money to afford these ?  

Are u saying dump trucks in NJ are working for 70 an hour?

1 hour ago, Mark T said:

the 2022 was $185,000 for the cab chassis, and $239,000 delivered.

level 3 leather interior, navplus  with 6 speakers, 9 way adjustable heated/AC seats, power/heated mirrors, steering pusher axle, 425 front floater tires, dura-bright alcoa 24.5 rims, 565HP X15 cummins, allison RDS 4500 trans, 4.56 gear meritor rears, meritor steering axle, disc brakes on steering and pusher axle, full digital instrument cluster, and a bunch of other things i can not think of rite now. 

the 18.5 foot 1/4 inch hardox 450 steel body with high lift gate was $54,000 installed and painted. .

The  prices are really not out of sink with everything else when u think about it,price a new f-250 superduty with a few bells and whistles on it and most of those are just daily drivers,owners don’t make a dime with them working,and it’s just a pickup truck..🤔

I agree MACKS...  but this crap happened less than 3 years ago, and the costs rose very fast.. How can you recover from the first price hike, before the second price hike, and so-on??  

9 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I agree MACKS...  but this crap happened less than 3 years ago, and the costs rose very fast.. How can you recover from the first price hike, before the second price hike, and so-on??  

Don’t know I’m in dump trucking and the only people buying new trucks are not trucking companies but paving or excavating company’s that are doin really well,they are pretty much off limits for an owner operator..

I guess that is why I still take care of one of my old customers..  he and his brother have 4 trucks, 2 Macks a KW and a Pete mixer truck turned quad axle..  The company that I build engines for, continues to buy new Quads..  Truth is, as a mechanic, I didnt deal with the business end, so I dont really know how much a company is willing to spend and make a profit...  but my feelings of concern remain..  I'm glad you are doing good..  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tjc transport said:

the 2022 was $185,000 for the cab chassis, and $239,000 delivered.

level 3 leather interior, navplus  with 6 speakers, 9 way adjustable heated/AC seats, power/heated mirrors, steering pusher axle, 425 front floater tires, dura-bright alcoa 24.5 rims, 565HP X15 cummins, allison RDS 4500 trans, 4.56 gear meritor rears, meritor steering axle, disc brakes on steering and pusher axle, full digital instrument cluster, and a bunch of other things i can not think of rite now. 

the 18.5 foot 1/4 inch hardox 450 steel body with high lift gate was $54,000 installed and painted. .

That same truck would be another 50 K right now, and that's if you can get it. Prices have gone nuts. Even used ones, price is unbelievably high 

9 hours ago, Mark T said:

That same truck would be another 50 K right now, and that's if you can get it. Prices have gone nuts. Even used ones, price is unbelievably high 

i agree. that is why we are waiting for the price to come down more. 

the 2015 Pete 348 tandem with 170k miles sold for $115k and the 2016 T880 with 125k miles on it sold for $155,000 last spring.

the 2019 with 90k miles sold for $190,000 in September.   we were not going to sell, but when people offer stupid money  for 6 and 7 year old trucks, ya let them go.

i see them here all the time too. 7-8 year old trucks with 5-800k mile on them for 150-200 grand. yea, smoke another bowl of crack. 

but i guess that is why people are willing to pony up new price for our trucks. 

besides the fact they know our trucks are maintained better than a "new" truck. oil gets changed every 3 months, which works out to around every 5-6  thousand miles. 

You have to wonder with rising interest rates and more and more places not wanting the older trucks how long the used market will stay like it is.  I don't see any substantial rise in trucking rates that goes along with cost of equipment. Then there's the cost of drivers. Between the money one costs and the return you get for that money ???  Doesn't seem like it can go on like that for smaller for hire carriers. 300 K  for a dump truck..... to even approach the money to pay for it, it'd be worn out in two or three years. Then there's the finding someone to work on them. (same story)  Dealer thinks nothing of keeping the truck for weeks .  Name of this thread is very accurate. 

• Thanks 1