On 4/2/2023 at 12:54 PM, tjc transport said:

kind of hard to say. it may have started as positive ground and been converted to negative ground. 

about the only way to tell for sure is trace the wires. 

have to agree with wire tracing to be sure. museum  might send info of what it was built as : not what someone may have changed it over to through the yrs.  you looking to make it an original then museum info important. 

I can’t even remember how they were wired I haven’t messed with one in a long time i’m surprised Joey has not been on here are TJ they’re usually pretty good at information. I would try Google if you can’t figure it out…. Bob

On 4/3/2023 at 8:00 PM, yarnall said:

The 422 has an overhead valve rather the the flat head in the 42. I haven’t been able to figure out the 421.

Would it by chance have to do with a Hall Scott gasoline engine? There is that thread in the fire apparatus section of the gentleman with the twin B21 fire engines from the Seattle area and they both have Hall Scott engines in them. Maybe the 21 is a designation for that engine? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 67RModel said:

Would it by chance have to do with a Hall Scott gasoline engine? There is that thread in the fire apparatus section of the gentleman with the twin B21 fire engines from the Seattle area and they both have Hall Scott engines in them. Maybe the 21 is a designation for that engine? 

I once owned a B421 , had that flathead mack gas engine, thy were either a 401 or 402 engine.    terry:MackLogo:

I could’ve helped out, but some asshole went into my property while I was in the hospital back surgery 12 years ago and stole all my battery cables. Tweakers ain’t they wonderful,  previous to that  I took out the parallel switch and the electric starter and went to air know  when I hook up the battery, I don’t even know where to start, it is also positive ground  bob

2 hours ago, mowerman said:

I was just kind of curious why some of them used hall Scott??? Bob

I guess much larger displacement. The firetruck you mentioned had both rear and front hood extensions.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

OK I was just curious guys seem to get real excited to hear about hall Scott I thought perhaps it was parts availability especially in the West Coast where  lots of Mack’s went with Cummins.. thanks for that.. Bob

• Like 1

I don’t have spec sheet for the B421 but I saw one and it looked the same as the B42. I’ll have to get one so I can compare them side by side. Yoos’ has been repowered which complicates things.  Mike 

• Like 1

On 4/6/2023 at 8:37 PM, yarnall said:

I don’t have spec sheet for the B421 but I saw one and it looked the same as the B42. I’ll have to get one so I can compare them side by side. Yoos’ has been repowered which complicates things.  Mike 

Yes ours came with an EN401 originally before being repowered with the EN414 (ala Chrysler 413 industrial). It still has the original baby quadbox in it though. Denton concrete roads out of Michigan bought ours new. They had a huge fleet of B421s at one point 

Edited by Yoos Brothers Construction
  • Like 2

Mine were both Positive ground.

How did I know? Since they came that way, I checked the diameter of the cable post, and they fit positive post to the grounded cable, negative post diameter fit the starter side cable, so I knew that was how the last battery was installed.

Not really sure there is any advantage to switching it over unless a guy was determined and really wanted to go to all the trouble.  Maybe I would do it if I was going to install lots of modern electronics.