Pulling injectors on a 673

Craig N
Go to solution Solved by theakerstwo,

the difference between the drive axles is..  The one with the cone shape is a cap, and the axle is a seperate shaft, and there may still be a seal in the center of the hub to keep oil on the inner bearing and grease on the outer bearing.  I have removed that seal and made the whole hub an oil bath type.. 

The other flat axle cap is a flange and the axle shaft and cap are one piece..  Both seal with good quality RTV, when put back together..   Jojo

• Like 2

Thanks guys!  It’s been over 15 years since I took anything like these apart.  I did axle seals on a 74’ R model and an 81’ R model back then. I remember hitting the center of the axle with a sledge hammer to get it to break loose. 

1 minute ago, Craig N said:

Ahh, nice. Learn something every day. Thanks

The one with the "cone" is a full floating axle. Those you don't hit when you take the six nuts off of it. The center of that cone is only a soft plug. The "cone' or drive plate is splined to accept the splines on the axle (just like in carrier on the side gears) the other type with the flange ( flange and axle shaft one piece ) is the ones you smack in the center to get out. Usually the wedges behind the nuts don't like to give up easily on older stuff and they can be frustrating to get out.

I agree with the others , the front ones are likely from different size axles (weight and bearings)   So likely not much of any of it will interchange between the two trucks.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

the difference between the drive axles is..  The one with the cone shape is a cap, and the axle is a seperate shaft, and there may still be a seal in the center of the hub to keep oil on the inner bearing and grease on the outer bearing.  I have removed that seal and made the whole hub an oil bath type.. 

The other flat axle cap is a flange and the axle shaft and cap are one piece..  Both seal with good quality RTV, when put back together..   Jojo

also you are looking at a tandem rear  floating axle cap VS  the single axle solid axle configuration

• Like 1

1 minute ago, mechohaulic said:

now who is going to explain to everyone how did a "pulling 673 injectors topic become a rear axle cap topic , I DIDN;T DO IT THIS TIME  LOL

Lol, yeah this thread grew into a lot more than just pulling injectors haha

• Haha 1