Pulling injectors on a 673

Craig N
Go to solution Solved by theakerstwo,

yeah me too...   I havent touched my '48 in over a month, and this weekend I have a Mack quad dump, coming to my shop for a 'C' P.M. and I bet I will have repairs..   My truck will wait again..  :) 

2 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

yeah me too...   I havent touched my '48 in over a month, and this weekend I have a Mack quad dump, coming to my shop for a 'C' P.M. and I bet I will have repairs..   My truck will wait again..  :) 

my God brother I am quite familiar with the back burner routine. I told the wife look man once I finish the kitchen cabinets I’m going to jump on my ride  and at least take a big bite out of it show some  noticeable progress 

• Haha 1

One thing I’m noticing on these 673’s is a lack of “eyes” to hook up a chain/spreader bar to pull them. Most newer motors I’ve seen have plates bolted to them with eyes on them to fasten chains. Gonna have to get creative I guess

I made a couple hook plates to bolt on motor.  Still was a bit sketchy and had to work at getting it to balance properly.  Especially when I put 237 back in and needed it to hang straight to line up with transmission.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

On 12/3/2022 at 2:13 PM, Freightrain said:

I made a couple hook plates to bolt on motor.  Still was a bit sketchy and had to work at getting it to balance properly.  Especially when I put 237 back in and needed it to hang straight to line up with transmission.

Nice. I’m gonna have to fab something up I guess. I saw this pic online. I like the idea of the pipe for a spreader. Not sure I like how all the weight is on the exhaust manifold. The oil filter housing bracket looks like it works well enough for the drivers side 

B6682612-D45A-42A1-B410-F9264C73BB2E.png

67718D96-5805-4679-8F6B-B56E5598DAEA.png

Edited by Craig N
Pics didn’t seem to attach

On 12/6/2022 at 7:10 AM, mowerman said:

Hell this weekend I did almost nothing little shopping with the old lady rest of the time watching television … too cold out… Bob

Yeah, tough time of year to get motivated to go outside and work on cold iron 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Craig N said:

Nice. I’m gonna have to fab something up I guess. I saw this pic online. I like the idea of the pipe for a spreader. Not sure I like how all the weight is on the exhaust manifold. The oil filter housing bracket looks like it works well enough for the drivers side 

B6682612-D45A-42A1-B410-F9264C73BB2E.png

67718D96-5805-4679-8F6B-B56E5598DAEA.png

Thats quite the wood chipper on the exhaust there !😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, fjh said:

Thats quite the wood chipper on the exhaust there !😂

Early Schweitzer?  Seems kinda familiar on early 673s.

Craig, I didn't use a spreader, just three points with a chain.  Got lucky and buddy let me borrow his wrecker.  Worked perfectly.

IMG_20160312_114523_132.jpg

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Thats such a cool lookin turbocharger! I miss when they used to be mechanical marvels that people took pride on having. Now they're tucked away and a pain. More of an emissions component than anything. 

And best yet if you changed your oil and didn't abuse them they lasted the life of the engine. Foreign concept I know

On 12/7/2022 at 12:38 PM, Freightrain said:

Early Schweitzer?  Seems kinda familiar on early 673s.

Craig, I didn't use a spreader, just three points with a chain.  Got lucky and buddy let me borrow his wrecker.  Worked perfectly.

IMG_20160312_114523_132.jpg

Oh nice. I’ll have to see what I’m up against once I get it all apart and ready to pull. Will probably use the 8k extended forklift I have at work to pull it I think. I haven’t worked on it in a couple weeks, need to get some time on it. Would love to have the body off of the green one before the new year

• 2 months later...

Wish they put “eyes” on these motors from the factory to hook chains to. Would make it a hell of a lot easier to pull those things. We fabbed up some plate steal to bolt to the heads to pull the one out of the green one, but all the manifolds were off of it so it was easy. I don’t really want to take the manifolds off of the running one if I can help it. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Craig N said:

Wish they put “eyes” on these motors from the factory to hook chains to. Would make it a hell of a lot easier to pull those things. We fabbed up some plate steal to bolt to the heads to pull the one out of the green one, but all the manifolds were off of it so it was easy. I don’t really want to take the manifolds off of the running one if I can help it. 

as I said once in another post ;; these engines didn't come with lifting eyes for unlike todays electronic "nightmares" engines back then were made to work ; not be removed for repair regularly. for your removal operation  one major thought will be :: is this lifting procedure safe. i have found chains have a tendency to bend things , HD straps work better if possible. the lifting device also makes a difference.  trans mission/ engine combo pulled together  to me is alot of pressure on the manifolds. 

• Like 2