Pulling injectors on a 673

Craig N
Go to solution Solved by theakerstwo,

The 673T is just 205 hp.  The ENDTC is 250 hp.  Neither have intercoolers.  Non turbo 673 is 170-185 hp depending on which intake it has.

Bobtailing you won't really notice much.  My old 673 with no turbo would scoot along quite well.

• Like 2

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

On 11/18/2022 at 10:38 PM, mowerman said:

Didn’t you guys mention you have to move the transmission back a couple of inches I thought that’s what I heard…. Bob

If you leave the twin disc clutch?  Mine had single disc, so it bolted right in.

• Like 1

Larry

8 hours ago, mowerman said:

Wow!!!!!!! that’s all I got on this one. Ha ha good luck.bob

Uh, thanks, I think lol. I got it for the same money I can buy a piston kit with liners and bearings for. Hope it works out

• Like 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, fjh said:

😅

You should put that baby to work! You can make the big bucks while your rebuilding the other engine! It can pay for all the parts you put into that other beast!image.gif.4021672b9e8e551b5708da017df5573d.gif image.gif.60cf5031300c337d3994217402a99a8c.gif😅

She worked a pit for the wash plant quite a bit I guess. I’m tempted to put my body on it and paint the dump box. Has wedge brakes though and my single axle has maxi’s so not sure what to do yet. 

8 hours ago, mowerman said:

I like the air start part. They’re pretty efficient once you get them dialed in but yes, they can be a pain in the ass if you don’t keep up on them.Bob

I was surprised at how well the air assist steering felt too. Sure is a big difference from Armstrong steering. Felt like modern truck steering 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

I do beleive the bolt pattern for wedge brake spider and the s-cam spider is the same..  I assume the same style Mack rear's on both truck's? 

Oh that’s good to know!  No, they’re different style. The single axle looks like a more modern setup, I believe with camelback suspension. The dual axle has the rear ends that look like they’re flipped on their side, if that makes sense?  

044A388F-E00C-4B65-8AD5-DF7E16284D9C.png

that picture shows Mack rears.  they are top loaders..  whats in the other truck? I would like to see a picture of a single axle camel back.. never heard of one..  the truck pic you posted is camelback..  I guess that the new truck? 

Edited by Joey Mack
poor sperring..

can you raise the bodies and post pics of the brake chambers?  wedge brakes had lateral chambers and s-cam brakes have longitudinaly mounted chambers..   Of course,, I am always eager to learn something even if I need to be corrected..   :)   jojo

1 hour ago, Craig N said:

I was surprised at how well the air assist steering felt too. Sure is a big difference from Armstrong steering. Felt like modern truck steering 

I put air assist on my truck a few years ago.  Some people hate it, I say it's better then nothing.  It has its quirks, but overall it is fine.  Like air starter, you have to maintain it to a degree or it will cause grief.  I put air start on mine also.  New valves, new lines.  Works like a charm and holds air for 6 months without a problem. 

Larry

38 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

that picture shows Mack rears.  they are top loaders..  whats in the other truck? I would like to see a picture of a single axle camel back.. never heard of one..  the truck pic you posted is camelback..  I guess that the new truck? 

Well, shows you what I know lol. I just saw big springs on the green one and thought camel back. I’ll get a good pic of it tomorrow at work. The rear on the green has “Mack” cast into the pumpkin on the back. This is the only pic I have of it right now

419A37EB-0F9A-4673-9ED1-877348C4EE51.jpeg

when the air assist starts acting up like not so smooth , the cyl on tie rod usually develops a groove mid way. wedge brakes are like everything else;; great when working right: real pain in a-- when time for repair/ replace. have changed a couple from wedge to cam. most times owner was better off finding another donor. swapping entire assemblies.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

can you raise the bodies and post pics of the brake chambers?  wedge brakes had lateral chambers and s-cam brakes have longitudinaly mounted chambers..   Of course,, I am always eager to learn something even if I need to be corrected..   :)   jojo

I’m supposed to go pick it up Friday or Saturday so I’ll get a bunch of pics for sure. I guess I don’t really know if it has wedge brakes. I just saw these tiny little cans underneath and just made an assumption. I’ll get the body up and get some good pics

32 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

I put air assist on my truck a few years ago.  Some people hate it, I say it's better then nothing.  It has its quirks, but overall it is fine.  Like air starter, you have to maintain it to a degree or it will cause grief.  I put air start on mine also.  New valves, new lines.  Works like a charm and holds air for 6 months without a problem. 

Oh that’s sweet!!  I’ll really have to check it all out when I get it home. Has a big ass air tank on the driver side for it. 

4 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

when the air assist starts acting up like not so smooth , the cyl on tie rod usually develops a groove mid way. wedge brakes are like everything else;; great when working right: real pain in a-- when time for repair/ replace. have changed a couple from wedge to cam. most times owner was better off finding another donor. swapping entire assemblies.

This is good to know. It seems ok but I only drove it around the pit for a bit. I’ll have to drive it around a bit when I get it back to work. I guess I’m not really sure I even have wedge brakes. They just looked different than anything I’ve seen so made an assumption. I’ll have to see when I get it I guess 

• Like 1

Not a maxi can ;; old style brake chamber only   unit has a hand brake correct. looks like a drum up on drive line by trans. that style can has a ring of screw driver style bolts around it 6-maybe 8. use to be rebuildable . some B 's had a maxi with 1/2 in rod going to brakes . chamber was mounted in the frame

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, mechohaulic said:

Not a maxi can ;; old style brake chamber only   unit has a hand brake correct. looks like a drum up on drive line by trans. that style can has a ring of screw driver style bolts around it 6-maybe 8. use to be rebuildable . some B 's had a maxi with 1/2 in rod going to brakes . chamber was mounted in the frame

Yep, hand brake. The green one has new looking maxis with slack adjusters to S cam.