Pulling injectors on a 673

Craig N
Go to solution Solved by theakerstwo,

Does this mean we forgot all about the mice ??????also Mecho  I think you’re paranoid after your gone sour  pull start caper  besides you’re really going 10 miles an hour and still have front brakes ha ha I was thinking about mounting a small air compressor on the side of my frame with a Briggs & Stratton just another idea 

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2022 at 4:18 PM, Craig N said:

So the door tag says “B 613 S”

Anyone know anything about the 613 S part?

Like others have said, the "613" indicated an ENDT-673 engine.  The "S" indicates "six wheel" (tandem) chassis.

Those "double splined" axles are the ticket.  We had those on all our heavy spec stuff.  Usually carried spares in the truck (as well as a set of U-joints).

You definitely have a couple of good trucks to play with there.

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

On 11/26/2022 at 4:18 PM, Craig N said:

So the door tag says “B 613 S”

Anyone know anything about the 613 S part?

Like others have said, the "613" indicated an ENDT-673 engine.  The "S" indicates "six wheel" (tandem) chassis.

Those "double splined" axles are the ticket.  We had those on all our heavy spec stuff.  Usually carried spares in the truck (as well as a set of U-joints).

• Like 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

10 hours ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

So the “S” indicated 6 wheels?  This one’s got 3 total, 2 drive so must’ve been switched out at some point in its life. Thanks!

8 hours ago, 67RModel said:

One thing to think about if you swap your green cab onto the tandem dump chassis is the brakes. Looks like you have BW type 20 brake chambers on your drives. I believe the part number is 227851. As you probably already know they are just service chambers with no provisions for spring / emergency brakes. I assume this truck has a hand brake lever in the cab and a brake drum assembly on the output yoke of the transmission for parking.  The service chambers you have are long obsolete and finding rebuild parts / replacements for them is very hard. The other bad thing about this setup is the fact that you can't just stick a 30/30 chamber or similar on there with some additional air plumbing and call it good. The clearance to the wheel is too tight. The mounting hole center-to-center is the same but the overall diameter and length are issues. A 20/24 chamber won't even fit. I have the same setup on my B81. I pondered this a lot and tried several different types and sizes of brake chambers. Basically your only two options are to 1: fabricate brackets that offset the chamber toward the frame to gain clearance from the wheel and use an offset slack adjusters. Or 2: obtain a pull style spring brake only chamber and mount it 180 degrees of the service chamber to pull on the slack adjuster with a small chain. I have seen several old (mid sixties) DM800s with this setup from the factory although they used steel rods instead of chain. I guess it was before the compound chambers were perfected and/or common.  Haldex still makes pull type spring brake chambers but they are insanely expensive (around $400 each). I don't think you necessarily have to change them over since I'm guessing it will be just for hobby use / antique vehicle but for me the thought of a 15,000 pound vehicle rolling down the road with no way to stop it if there is a sudden air loss is scary. The good news is for a hobby truck you probably only need to convert one axle to have emergency brakes since you won't be hauling any weight. Just something to think about if you use the tandem chassis.....

You just answered a bunch of questions I had about this brake setup.  Stopping is just as important, if not more so, than being able to move. I’m going to be driving around with my 10 year old and my old lady in the cab, I need to be able to stop. I’d rather have the brakes engage if I run out of air then disengage. I think I’m going back to pulling the motor and trans on this one and swapping it into the green one. It’s more work than just swapping cabs, but that’s fine. Thanks for explaining the setup on this dump truck so well. There’ll be 4 less tires to worry about too, which will be good.  

• Like 1

I drove the 10 wheeler around a bunch today. What a nice driving unit. It really doesn’t feel like a 62 year old truck. I drove a fair amount of old Mack’s and Autocar’s when I used to drive and this one feels just fine. I’m excited to get these projects going. I need to make a good plan and get moving on it. 

I’m wondering if I should just pull the engine on the red one or if I should pull the engine with the trans and just swap everything. I know the trans works and clutch feels ok, though it grabs a little high on the pedal. I’d hate to just swap motors only and find out something’s wrong with the duplex in the green one. It would be nice to see what I’ve got for clutch in each though if I just pull the engine. I hate to sound lazy, but I feel like it would be easier to pull engine and trans in one unit.  It’s not that I don’t want to do it, but like the rest of us, I have so much other stuff going on between work, the kids sports schedule, house projects, yard projects etc etc. I guess first step is to get the nose off of each unit and go from there. 

• Like 1

on some early maxi can set ups not having clearance , the can is still push type but it's mounted inside the frame rails with through the frame arm linkage with as you say a steel rod going back to the service brake chamber and pulling it on . rods broke as mentioned chains installed.

oh.... ok...  the paint is actually Mack Gray Engine paint...  yes, that is an E-Tech...  It has similar horizontal injector line ports as the E-7..  The injectors are mounted the same way as an E-7.  The E-Tech has 1 fuel pump per cylinder, instead of an in-line injection pump.   I will stop here, so that I don't steal this thread..   P.M. me if you want to know more, or tell me to shut-up...  :)  Jojo  

• Like 1

I hope to get some time this weekend or next week, mid week after work. Gonna start stripping the green truck down. Pull the nose and cab off then yank the motor. I’ll probably pull the motor separately so I can get a look at the clutch behind it. I think I’m gonna pull the motor and trans out of the red one in one piece and install it as one unit.  I know it all works well. Will be a bit before I get to that point I’m sure.

Yes, the wheels of success shirt turns slow on these projects as I mentioned, there’s always something a head of my DM I can’t just drop everything at work on it like I would like ha ha mine doesn’t really need too much big shit just a lot of little things … Bob

• Like 1