Ok…another novice question...I’m shopping for a B42 or B61.  I have found a B42…
Can someone tell me what a reasonable price I might expect to pay would be for the following described truck…

1955  B42  single axle  9’ dump body. .twin sticks… The cab seems solid with one small dent in the right back corner…no dents in the front fenders…slightly bent front bumper….grill is good...glovebox door is missing…Seats are intact…gauges are all there …Dump body has a few small holes rotted through…cab guard is damaged (the dump body is pretty much trash)… Small rust hole in right rocker.  Frame is pitted with rust. Both rear wheel seals are leaking (bad)  small rust hole in right floor .. truck has not been started in 10 years.. ran when parked..all the glass is there but fogged.. tires mismatched and old but have tread..engine is not stuck..engine oil is clean (no water) …radiator has fluid inside …not original paint..it desperately needs a bath … it’s covered in pine sap and pine needles and held captive by 6 inch pine trees all around it. I want this truck but don’t want to overpay. I see (what I consider) high asking prices but asking doesn’t mean they get sold for the asking.

Is this truck worth 5 grand ?

What would you consider paying.?

• Like 1

I know the old saying…” it’s only worth what someone’s willing to pay for it”. 
I want a B.. but I’m old school.. I just can’t see paying these “FB marketplace” prices.

In ‘86 I bought a B42 for $700.00 and drove it home.

I looked at one yesterday in the shape described above..the guys asking $5000.00 and I’ll have to trailer it home. As much as I love and want a B…It’s hard for me to justify that price. So I want to know..is this the world we live in now ?.. or am I going to be “that guy” that pays too much.

still considering it.

yes moved and stopped on its own tires had new tread but were super dryrotted and it was a log truck guy wanted 6000 but took 5000 and kept the log bunk I was just going to cut it up . does the one your looking at still have a gas engine ?

• Like 1

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

Yes..the one I’m looking at still has the gas engine. The door bottoms and rockers look good. Surprisingly there’s only one minor dent on the back right cab corner. It’s not original paint but the sheet metal does look good. I don’t have any pictures but I think I’m going to go look at it again.

• Like 1

A lot goes into “what’s it worth?”, when looking it something. Is it what you want? Does it have the driveline that’ll make it drivable the way you want to use it? Is it’s basic configuration useable to you, body on it(as in a dumper or flatbed?)?. General condition, rust bodywork, paint?

Is it a project or something turn key? That’s a big question, because if you don’t have the space, tools and skills to do it yourself, it’s going to cost you a lot more to pay someone to do it for you.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I don't have much of an answer. The time to buy something is when it is for sale.I looked for three years to find my R with a 5 speed. At that point price was somewhat secondary. I would say look at what is out there and when its the right one for the right price you will know. These are not logical purchases, so trying to be logical isn't really a thing. We all buy what we buy for the joy of having it. So if it makes you happy, go for it. 

• Like 2

Seems most of us feel the same way 5Gs way too much But the guy might tell you to beat it if you knock him  down at all  ….. 5000 bucks for years of fun and entertainment for yourself but trust me bud you will never see any of your money back ha ha….. Bob

• Like 1

On 11/8/2022 at 3:55 PM, Onyx610 said:

You can never pay too much if it’s something that YOU want. 

I understand what you are saying and somewhat agree. However, the exception is when the unit turns out to not be what you thought it was. I bought 2 B61’s from a guy that were in a crowded shed. I paid 2000 for one and 5000 for the other based on what I could see. Thought the one was really nice. Turned out the 2000 one was twice the truck the other was. The one that looked nice was full of bondo and was pretty much a wreck once I took all the makeup off. Fixing it anyways just a LOT more work and money.  

Edited by Licensed to kill
  • Like 1
  • Like 1

Don’t forget their fellows travel time if the rig is pretty close that’s a big savings right there you could get it for free and have to spend $6000 to get it to your place or more ha ha so another words if you’re over paying to begin with they are really taking a bath with a delivery  but then again a lifetime ambition is priceless  bob

• Like 1
  • Like 1

I think I paid a little too much for mine years ago and I took a big chance it wasn’t even running had to put a clutch in it right where it was and then Pull  start it  … after I paid the cat… but I was able to drive it home when I did get it running…. But he  look me straight in the face and said that was a running son  of a bitch before The kid burned the clutch out of it and I believed him  bob

• Like 1
  • Like 1

25 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Don’t forget their fellows travel time if the rig is pretty close that’s a big savings right there you could get it for free and have to spend $6000 to get it to your place or more ha ha so another words if you’re over paying to begin with they are really taking a bath with a delivery  but then again a lifetime ambition is priceless  bob

I was looking at a “non running” unit about 10 hours away and the cost to transport it was about $2000.00…plus, to wench it out of its location so it could be loaded was another $800.00…I’m sure a backhoe to load and offload would be another unknown fee…

The fact that this $5K truck is only 35 minutes from my house is a huge factor in making the decision to purchase it.

I appreciate everyone’s thoughts on the matter.. 

• Like 2

I agree with factoring the cost of getting it by what ever means.  When I bought my High priced IH.  The seller loaned me his 'Rollback' at no charge.  It was a 45 minute ride, one-way..   I saved a bunch of Moolah..  jojo

• Like 1
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mowerman said:

Excellent point. The 2 B61's mentioned in my previous post were 1/2 hour from home and I factored that into my offer. In hind site I should have bought the "lesser" truck for the $2000 and left the "good" one where it was. 

• Like 1

When I bought the 2 local ones (in December) the guy had to July to get them out of the shed. he was a hoarder and accessing them was no easy feat as not only did he have to clean the shed but had to make a trail through the yard for about 100 yards to get them out. Loading and transporting was simple as I had the trailer and just pulled the trucks onto the trailer with my picker. Hmmmm, can't post pics, getting error code 200

• Like 2