B61 at auction

14 hours ago, 70mackMB said:

Is this part of Swishy's S P O T T O? Try and find what is wrong in the picture? Asking for a friend.   .....Hippy

I see lots of things that are "different" but don't see anything that is "wrong". A few things that I would not do perhaps but that does not make them "wrong"

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, 1wonton said:

Would dual rear tires be better?  How would you change them to duals?

It still has Dayton Spokes on the rear so those super singles, or they may be 425 steering tires, will come off and 11R22.5's go back on OK. 

Brocky

For a working truck the biggest advantage to duals is redundancy. If you get a flat you can still travel to the nearest tire shop. Super singles save about 700 pounds of weight over 11R22.5 dual tandem tires and wheels but if you get a flat on a single your are SOL on the side of the road. For a truck like this (I assume its just a hobby truck) I think the singles would be fine. Certainly has a different look to it. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2022 at 9:31 AM, 1wonton said:

10/4 Brock.  Would there be any advantage to duals or should they just stay with the singles?  Looks like the truck has a dead tag axle; why is that?

Back in the day they would add a tag axle to carry the weight but it was not necessary to have it a powered axle.  Not much different then todays dump trucks with 3+ tag axles under them.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The Bs were weight rated by their numerical ID  I E  B 61  was rated for 60.000 pounds (the 6) and it would be a diesel (odd numbers were diesel   the 1 )

so a B42    would have been rated for 40,000 pounds and had a gas engine  

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Mark T said:

The Bs were weight rated by their numerical ID  I E  B 61  was rated for 60.000 pounds (the 6) and it would be a diesel (odd numbers were diesel   the 1 )

so a B42    would have been rated for 40,000 pounds and had a gas engine  

once again it's proven  never too old to learn. after 50 + yrs of wrench pushing, wasn't aware the first digit  in the B series indicated weight rating.. sure makes sense . B 81  == 80 k weight  with diesel. thanks for info..

1 hour ago, Freightrain said:

My B61 was tagged at 33K.  21K rear, 12K front.

I don't know how they arrived at the nomenclature ( how about that big word ?? )  I have no idea if it was somehow related to CGVW or what. But there were twin screws and single axles or trucks with tags and they were badged as some form of 60 series.  Now in 2022, the tag axle is making a come back. Between anti lock brakes and "smart suspensions" and traction control , it's not too hard to see tractors using them.  

28 minutes ago, The Rubber Duck 006 said:

It'd be neat if it had the original "Joe Dog" Set up instead of an Air Tag. Would love to see one in person

In the 80's and 90's Roadway Express, and probably some other carriers, had a lot of them so they could pull a set of pups into a terminal and pull a 45-48 footer out..

Edited by Brocky

Brocky

12 hours ago, Brocky said:

In the 80's and 90's Roadway Express, and probably some other carriers, had a lot of them so they could pull a set of pups into a terminal and pull a 45-48 footer out..

Grew up with Roadway,CF,Yellow,CCX terminals just down the road.. Most of the Roadway trucks were. Single axle ford cabovers even pulling the longer trailers around here.

13 hours ago, Mark T said:

Now in 2022, the tag axle is making a come back.

I always wondered why the mega carrier fleet trucks that never leave the interstate have live tandems. I would think a single axle with a drop axle is adequate to move legal weights across the interstate. Plus and you probably get 750-1000 pounds of weight savings and better fuel mileage due to less unsprung weight and rotational inertia of the second drive axle and power divider.