B61 at auction

1 hour ago, 67RModel said:

I always wondered why the mega carrier fleet trucks that never leave the interstate have live tandems. I would think a single axle with a drop axle is adequate to move legal weights across the interstate. Plus and you probably get 750-1000 pounds of weight savings and better fuel mileage due to less unsprung weight and rotational inertia of the second drive axle and power divider. 

Winter driving perhaps??. 

19 hours ago, The Rubber Duck 006 said:

Alot of the Mega Carriers that are in Mild Winter areas I've seen with a tag and they raise them when running empty. I've even seen them with a tag on the trailer tandems. 

I see a lot of spread axle trailers with front axle chained up when empty.

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

When I ordered a new trailer, I had it setup that the rear spread axle would deflate it made turning better in our yard. I could have done the front axle, but I figured it would be better for the guys shorter turns and a little less pressure on the axles when turning. We hauled brick and mortar. Back in the day we used a 35-foot trailer today 45 foot and a spread axle.

• Like 1

On 8/30/2022 at 4:31 PM, Mark T said:

The Bs were weight rated by their numerical ID  I E  B 61  was rated for 60.000 pounds (the 6) and it would be a diesel (odd numbers were diesel   the 1 )

so a B42    would have been rated for 40,000 pounds and had a gas engine  

Well, I learned something today, thanks Mark.

5 hours ago, davehummell said:

When I ordered a new trailer, I had it setup that the rear spread axle would deflate it made turning better in our yard. I could have done the front axle, but I figured it would be better for the guys shorter turns and a little less pressure on the axles when turning. We hauled brick and mortar. Back in the day we used a 35-foot trailer today 45 foot and a spread axle.

I've seen them like that.  With a spread it really helps with turning radius.

I think they hang the front axle because with the arch in the trailer the rear axle likely wouldn't be off fhe road very far and constantly touch the ground putting flat spots in the tires from skipping along.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

On 9/1/2022 at 1:40 PM, The Rubber Duck 006 said:

Alot of the Mega Carriers that are in Mild Winter areas I've seen with a tag and they raise them when running empty. I've even seen them with a tag on the trailer tandems. 

UPS has several with dead rear axles and next to useless in a snowy icey yard trying to get under trailers. Ours aren’t liftable, too many morons work here and would mess them up….

• Like 1