Air leaking out of bottom of this thing?

Hi guys,

I have a 2004 mack vision tipper thats leaking air out of this air brake part with air brakes released.

if i put my fingers over the flap on bottom where air leaks out to try stop leak then I can see all 4 rear brake come on. I replaced the valve with a new one and it still does it?

it sits on chassis just in front of the dual axles. Something else might be wrong but not sure where to look.

any ideas?

thanks.

C66891F0-E550-4B26-A900-3882E7BB8B0A.jpeg.5a355e8f48cf8703b49c8793147edc12.jpeg

As Theackers2 sez

Between the 2 air chambers Parking Brake/ Service brakes

there is a 'O' ring or 2

th@ when air leaks past the 'O' ring it can apply the service brake depending on how servere the leak is

If you no what U are doing you can replace the 'O' ring/s if it is a demountable lock ring on the spring brake

but make sure u're life insurance is fully paid up before atempting to dismantle 

CyaSpringBrake.JPG.42ff9523fd75b0ceff2bab965b9f3b35.JPG

• Like 1

Ah, ok thanks guys I will have a look at the brakes and see If I can find which one it is.

I’m not confident to disassemble a chamber safetly so might just replace the whole thing. I seem to be getting to know Andrew (mack parts dealer) pretty well now hahaha. Thanks again for the help.

Just saw this also.  My relay valve blew the diaphram and dumped my air tank.  Luckily I was in the driveway!  Hopped in pickup and ran to parts store and got new valve.  Only lasted 20 yrs.  Lol.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Hi guys, just got time today to investigate this air leak problem and I have bought 2 new 20/24 spring brakes. I have not put the new ones on yet. So, i start truck and get air up, release the brakes and I get the air leak out the bottom flap valve.

I turn truck off and almost Immediately the air leak stops. If I turn key on again the leak is not leaking.

If I restart truck The leak starts again???

I have not disconnected any lines yet to see which spring brake might be faulty but this leak stopping when I turn truck off has me puzzled. How would the spring brakes know the truck is running or not, an oring in spring brake can’t fix itself with truck turned off and then damage itself once trucks re started so I’m trying to understand what happens to this leak stopping when engine gets turned off?

wouldnt a leaking oring in spring brake  keep on leaking whilever pressure is on the line?

is there some valve that disconnects spring brake air when motors off?

was hoping to have motor off so i could hear which spring brake might be leaking but it stops leaking soon as i turn truck off lol

Edited by The Nitro

the brake valve is bad...  it gets constant air pressure to it as long as there is air to be delivered..  the spring brakes dont have air pressure in the chamber until you push the brake release valve in... on the brake valve in the frame, there should be an air supply line, and a signal line ( brake release valve line) and 2 or 4 lines off the bottom to the rear chambers on the maxicans..  more pictures are always a good thing,..  jojo

I dont know why? The truck according to mack dealers via vin number has spring suspension and drum brakes but truck has meritor air bag diffs and disc brakes all round. Also according to registration papers the truck has been upgraded from 70 tonne gcm to 80 something tonne gcm.

95C7958C-7A7C-417C-8C97-7E29346ECE6D.jpeg.f4a4cadbfac5f3ecba1bf2971470d997.jpeg

This valve is the new one which is leaking just the same as old one I took off. It sits on left (standing behind truck) hand side of chassis just in front of rear diffs. The black hose on right leads to front dual diff brake boostes at the ports closest to the rod that comes out and the black hose on left leads to rear diff brake boosters at the port closest to the rod as well

the second valve should be the service valve... the one that applies the brakes when you step on the pedal..  the first pic is the park brake valve... Did you do what Glenn asked, and remove a service line from each brake chamber until the leak stopped?  you may have a backfeed through the maxi..  

8DF5BD7C-CBEC-4D64-B905-03BD6CA2C094.jpeg.46e0e5cf97d2066fb6fdd8f7748b145f.jpeg

Then these 2 valves are also on right side of truck chassis (standing behind truck) closer to cab than the last valve above i showed but I dont know what they do.

the valve that leaks air out bottom is the new one that sends air to all brake booster ports closest to rods but stops soon as trucks turned off even though all air tanks still full

oh hell,  the small one is likely a pressure protection valve, and the other one should be the anti compounding valve.  My guess is you have a bad maxi, if the plumbing is correct..