E7 injector lines cracking

jzack

I've got a 1994 CH with the E7350. Back in December I replaced #4,5,6 injector lines. They were leaking at the head. Now 4 months later all three have failed with small hairline cracks behind the nipple at the injector. Mack has been warrantying the lines but I'm really growing tired of replacing them every few months. Yes, I make sure all the line clamps are good and tight. The lines stay dry for weeks, maybe months and then bam, they start dripping on the manifold.

My original lines were 0.25" OD, the new OEM ones from Mack are 0.23 OD I noticed. I let Mack know about this....

Do I have any other options here?

a couple of the ones I service had the same issue..    I got pissed and took the little clamp plates out, and the issue stopped.  I think the newer lines arent as good as the original lines.  I think they may need to vibrate a bit without the metal clamp plates ,  i  dont really know, because I have a few other E-7's that havent leaked..  I expect a few opinions on this one..  jojo

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

a couple of the ones I service had the same issue..    I got pissed and took the little clamp plates out, and the issue stopped.  I think the newer lines arent as good as the original lines.

Interesting, maybe I'll try that when I finally get to the end of my rope on this.

11 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

a couple of the ones I service had the same issue..    I got pissed and took the little clamp plates out, and the issue stopped.  I think the newer lines arent as good as the original lines.  I think they may need to vibrate a bit without the metal clamp plates ,  i  dont really know, because I have a few other E-7's that havent leaked..  I expect a few opinions on this one..  jojo

New ones don't even look like the old ones.  One more thing Volvo couldn't care less about on older trucks.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Joey Mack said:

I got pissed and took the little clamp plates out, and the issue stopped.

7 minutes ago, Mark T said:

I think they may need to vibrate a bit without the metal clamp plates

Not Mack related But in the same vein... 

40Yrs ago My father Bought a new 4240 John Deere Tractor, & one on the Fuel Lines Cracked. He got a new one under Warranty, But In the packet with the New line was a Diagram of where the Little Clamps needed to be to stop the harmonic Vibrations which caused the Cracking.

I remember that Factory Placement of the Clamps was Nowhere near where they Needed to Be according to the new Diagram...!!

• Like 2

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

mabey just for kicks. split some lengths of 1/4" fuel line and slide it over the lines...  I probably should have done that in the first place..  I guess mabey keep them away from the heat of the turbo, and manifold..  I dont really have a good answer..  Hayseed has good points though... jojo

My old E6 keeps cracking number 1 injector line, maybe every 50,000 km, no apparent reason

No clamps and no diagrams of clamps and I have asked about clamps on here before but never got a answer 

Anyway the new injector lines are a lot thinner than the old ones, but the old one cracked to start with so I guess that doesn't mean a lot then

However I have never had any other diesel crack injector lines so dunno, must be just lucky I guess

Paul 

The only other engine I worked on was a John Deere Dozer, and those lines were short, mabey 10" long if stretched out..  a couple of them sprung leaks at the nuts..  but thats all I can remember for now.,, jojo

• 5 months later...

Great news about the lines..  I have built 1, E-7, and 2 E-Techs, and 2 ASET's. An AI and An AC...  All are running good and making money..  I measured the liners and the pistons and compared them to Mack parts and they were the same. The PAI kits come with more parts than a Mack kit, including head gaskets.. the bags of gaskets and o-rings is great.. it even comes with the little sealing balls for the piston cooling tubes, and depending on the level of the kit you buy, you may have new cooling tubes as well..  I also use their oil pumps, and cam kits. Cam kits are better than Macks current kit..  the bushing set for an E-Tech was just over $100.00... you will need to order connecting rod bolts separately..  I have had great service from the PAI parts... At half the cost or less...  Jojo

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Great news about the lines..  I have built 1, E-7, and 2 E-Techs, and 2 ASET's. An AI and An AC...  All are running good and making money..  I measured the liners and the pistons and compared them to Mack parts and they were the same. The PAI kits come with more parts than a Mack kit, including head gaskets.. the bags of gaskets and o-rings is great.. it even comes with the little sealing balls for the piston cooling tubes, and depending on the level of the kit you buy, you may have new cooling tubes as well..  I also use their oil pumps, and cam kits. Cam kits are better than Macks current kit..  the bushing set for an E-Tech was just over $100.00... you will need to order connecting rod bolts separately..  I have had great service from the PAI parts... At half the cost or less...  Jojo

Half the stuff has Mack stamped into it! Good choice for alternate parts!

I did say I use PAI oil pump's...  I did notice after 2 engines that the oil pressure was 5+ PSI lower at a hot idle then I prefer..  They had 28-32 PSI..  I have seen 35+ with Mack pump's..  However, overall the oil pressure is good...   Just a side note...  and these engines got new cams and bushings..  It was after the second one that I developed this opinion..  Don't fear it, just know it..... Jojo

6 hours ago, theakerstwo said:

I have had good luck with pai on all parts from them.

I will second this, I have never had a failure with PAI parts, I can not say the same with sadly

I will search for PAI injector lines for a E6 as I just dont have faith in the new Mack ones

Paul

• 1 month later...
On 10/14/2022 at 1:24 PM, jzack said:

Here is a follow up for those who came here on a search for a fix for cracking fuel lines. After going through multiple sets of lines from Mack, all developing cracks in multiple areas, I have since moved on to fuel lines from PAI for the E7. Thier lines actually look like my originals, a full .25" diameter, double nut with vibration damper at the head. So far so good, I'll keep this updated.

Now, with that experience, and an in-frame scheduled for the first week of November, I'm seriously thinking of getting the PAI re-build kit instead of the Muzzle Loader from Mack and probably save some serious money. I've always been a "Mack only" parts guy, but so far, I am very impressed with the PAI fuel lines.

Yeah we went with PAI lines too. Went through 5 lines in less than a year. Those PAI lines are stout