Shop Talk

Onyx610

1 hour ago, Joey Mack said:

Wife and I rode Harleys today... so not much work got done on the Old IH.. 

KIMG2339.JPG

might not have gotten much "work" done today; BUT one of the most important  to do list items were done ::: family time / stress relief . as I told one of my younger customers who works tooo many hrs :: the work will always be there family time won't.

• Like 1

Wasn't sure where to post this but seems like a "shop talk" kinda topic. It is about NOT leaving something "for another day", something I have (had) a REAL bad habit of doing. I put the trans in my Mack yesterday just to realize that I forgot to check the bolt holes in the bell housing. I was reasonably certain that the bell housing bolts in the old engine that the trans came form were 3/8" and was equally certain that the bolts that came out of the "new" engine were 7/16". I was going to confirm all that a few days ago (when I was thinking of it) but did something else and ended up forgetting. So, in goes the trans yesterday, go to put the bolts in and, of course, they are too big to go through the bell housing. Would have been an easy 2 minute job to drill them out from the front when the trans was sitting on the floor but NOOOOOOO, now I have to do it with the trans on the engine and the mounts are in the way. Pretty typical for me. Anyways, this got me thinking about a similar "bad habit" that I am trying to break and that is putting things together "finger tight" with the plan to torque them "later" or putting a pin in something thinking "I'll put the cotter pin in after". This summer, a friend (Paul) was over and looking at my Mack and noticed something (I think it was a loose bolt) and pointed it out. I said, "yes, I know, I will tighten it later". He said "I NEVER leave something unfinished.....EVER. I ALWAYS tighten ALL fasteners before moving on, if it is in place, it is tight". He then went on to relay a story from his childhood. Turns out, his dad had an MG that he liked to fool with and one day it crapped out or was otherwise immobilized several miles from home. I don't recall the story details but for some reason a tire had to be removed and put back on and IIRC it had knockoffs. Anyways, the knockoff was only put on hand tight just to get it home to be "tightened later" and the car was towed home. A couple weeks later, the issue with the car was resolved and his dad took it for a spin, of course not remembering that the one wheel was not tight. Got a few miles from home and the wheel came off and he crashed..............spent the rest off his life a quadriplegic. Tragic story to hear about...Paul LIVE IT first hand. Something to think about. 

Edited by Licensed to kill
  • Like 2

Bugger me, no good at all

I always always always get thongs completely finished to a certain stage before stopping, my memory is not good enough to remember minor things so I have learnt by my own mistakes to finish things to point before stopping 

Yeah I know that makes no sense at all but I know what I mean lol

Paul

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Well I brought home another ''Stray'' that my city was going to demolish..   10' X 7'..  I have to repair the sill, and patch a hole, but they gave it to me..  It will be my new tool shed for my many extra big truck tools and welders.. 

KIMG2350.JPG

KIMG2351.JPG

that would be an excellent acquisition for me since I'm always in the dog house around HERe . with a 10x7 I'd be in the condo house LOL

• Like 1

I have a pretty good size workshop I used to use before I put up my garage now it’s mostly storage problem is I got too much shit in there I’m not going to use so I’ll be getting rid of some things in there tidy up to make room for more shit Not going to use ha ha yes you could be a redneck. If you keep too much stuff you’re not going to use these days I go in there and find shit that I forgot I had brand new truck  ceiling fan and a box. I did not even know I had. I’m going to put it in the DM. Bob

Working on the DM yesterday canister type sock   oil filter got to  thinking  what is the last time I worked on one like this on a car  back around 1975 I took a 327 out of a 65 impala rebuilt it and put it in a 55 Belair. I think that engine had the canister type anyone remember???

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joey Mack said:

Bob ?? You moved some stuff in your garage and found a Brand New Truck???   Damn...  I need your problems..   :) 

Joey, you should be doing stand-up. I forgot to mention the ceiling fan was chrome . I have no idea where it came from brand new in the box.

56 minutes ago, D-Day said:

Helping a friend this weekend put the rear end back in a good ford A model sure is nice to see how all of this is engineered it’s amazing what worked a hundred years ago and it still works great 

IMG_0739.jpeg

Oooooooooooooooooooohhhh man I wanna go over and help… nice lookin ride  thanks for that ..,, bob

• Like 1