Shop Talk

Onyx610

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Geoff..  it is ....  yes there is some rust on the underside, but, the truck is solid..  I just pulled the wire harness out.  it was rough.  No sweat..  I will make a new one..  I decided to go ahead and make it a 12volt system..  Neg ground..  My goal is to get it road worthy, then 'show it'..  I expect to get parts and info over time, and add them to the truck as well..  It does run good, and I got the brakes fixed.  I'm also stripping the out side of the engine, and making new gaskets, sand blasting the parts and painting them.  I dont have the money to do a top notch job, similar to Matt's, B-73.. But I am proud of what I have..  Thanks again for the info you gave me a few months ago.  I saved it..  Jojo

• Like 1

Same here bud  ain’t nobody gonna match mats work !!!!! Just have a ball with what you got ….. this weekend I did more researching on parts and more sanding myself. Glad to see you had time for yours finally Joey ha ha… bob

My white one, the cab is so far gone that the upper cab is loose from the lower (supposed to be welded together) I have another cab for that one. The winch truck is as close to "all original" as one can get.

The wire type used in that period deteriorates over time, and making new is the best way, eps if you can get it out in one piece and copy. You have the choice of modern wire or modern wire that has an older looking fabric outside for period look. I have never done the matching numbers/colors wire type "restore" but my hats off to those that do.

• Like 1

it's ''Shop Talk''..  I guess most anything goes..  

I'm on a roll...  with ''Sanford''.. I need to try and get exh. and intake manifold gaskets..  for the 'ole Blue Diamond..

KIMG2263.JPG

KIMG2264.JPG

• Like 1

As far as the wiring goes..  I did pull the harness in one piece.  I have aquired a lot of new wire from my city job.  It is top quality, a little heavy for the need, but will work. I was going to run it cleanly in black loom.  I know it wont be ''correct'' but it will work and it will be clean and neat..  Thanks again for commenting..  Jojo

KIMG1729.JPG

• Like 2

20 years ago you could still get gasket kits, but no more. I suspect custom gaskets are going to be your only choice. Be sure to get the one between manifolds, as 'm sure you know, they have to bolted to the head with that connection loose, only tightened after the "assembly" is firmly attached to the head.

Be sure not to loose the two "locating" ring in the intake manifold.

Notice the "fuel pump" opening on the right side under the generator mount? That is a hold over from when there was a gear driven generator/distributor or Mag on the earliest engines.

Victor set FS3031 would be the set, but it is for the bigger 282-308 really, works for the 269 also but as I say, NLA. Might find one NOS though.

Thanks again Geoff..  For now, I will leave the manifolds alone.  I tried to find the gaskets but not sure if I found the right ones.  they dont leak right now, but may start too when i drive it and get it heated up.  I already plan to make my own gaskets.  I have made many, and I have a punch kit to make clean bolt holes. 

Geoff,, I was thinking about painting the engine block Green, or even a redish/orange. the brackets will be black, and the air cleaner black and silver..  What is the original engine color?  Mine is both green and orange-ish..  Jojo

I think they were primed with Gasola or other orangish sealing primer and then a blue green top coat. Black for accessories.

The lower left side of the block seams to be about the factory color.

I think there are people re-popping the Donaldson air-cleaner decals. I think Jeep and/or Powerwagon used them.

• Like 2

I'm leaning towards a light green.  Im not a pro painter,  but i will prime it and carefully spray paint it with enamel paint.  For now, I will paint the intake and exhaust with flat wood stove paint.  I'm really glad I have a blasting cabinet now..  It is going to help me do really clean work..  

• Like 1