Shop Talk

Onyx610

Having a big old truck show in Reno this weekend put on by ATHS I had such a lousy experience there a few years ago I’m not even going what a bunch of snobby SOBs there not my kind of gathering,,, I would rather stay home and pull weeds…east coast shows are a lot more appealing Bob

• Like 2

Bob, I'm sorry you had a bad experience at the ATHS show. I've been to 5 or 6 of them, got to show trucks at one, and they have all been good for me. I go to see the trucks, admire the craftsmanship, and get ideas for my trucks. I don't go to socialize and tell war stories. I've run into people at the shows that I know simply because I've conversed with them on this forum or on the JOT forum and knew they were going to be there. I've had several cups of coffee that left a bad taste in my mouth, but I still suck down a couple of cups every morning. Don't let one bad cup of coffee spoil a good time for you. I've been to Macungie 3 or 4 times, and I've enjoyed each show. I probably enjoyed Macungie a little more simply because it was more compact and required less walking to see the trucks. I'd love to make Macungie this year but it's 18 hours round trip.

• Like 2

I went to the ATHS National show in Harrisonburg the year before last... wasn't it?.. because Harrisonburg is 2 hours from here and it'll probably never be that close again. I didn't even go when it was in Baltimore, I'm not going to one of the top crime centers in the country unless I get paid to. Harrisonburg was nice though, it was at the fairgrounds and there was plenty of room. I've already heard that they're asking people to drop trailers somewhere else in Reno because of a lack of space at the show grounds. Sounds like they didn't really pick the best spot to have it, I'm sure there are plenty of wide open spaces there that would be better suited for a truck show.

Macungie on the other hand runs like a well oiled machine, every time.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

Odog, I'm not familiar with the Reno show site but one thing I've noticed is there seems to be a lot more people out west who want to show both the truck and trailer rather than just the tractor. Maybe it's a west coast thing. Here's an ariel shot of the Lexington show with over 900 trucks.

safe_image.jpg

• Like 1

Well, mainly you know there’s not enough out there to get my attention anyway, mainly a bunch of dolled up Pete’s  and kenworth I see them all day long on the highway. I have more fun at watts that’s way worth it to spend the money for accommodations out there the Hilton host the show it’s not really set up properly for trailers  ..  hot August nights is better . There I did have a pretty good time the first time I went to truck show  there .and I did wind up with 10 years of free storage for my DM  and a re built quadruplex for 350 bucks so the first visit was excellent. Be looking forward to the Brockway show. Got all my reservations made I’m sure I’ll have more fun there and thanks for your concern. Hi binder 

• Like 1

And Tom, a buddy of mine is a Orioles fan … he was telling me the same thing around Camden yard. The place is such an arm pit. He said if you ever go there, don’t even try to walk anywhere just jump in to a cab … Bob

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, mowerman said:

I was in Fontana in 2004. I guess I didn’t recognize you ha ha that was a really good time. Bob 

I remember talking to our fellow, there his name was Ned had this cleaned up B model  stake bed spoke  wheels I think it was green with yellow wheels .. Bob

Yes, there’s nothing wrong with that. I can appreciate both makes but I guess I was just trying to say there’s not enough Mack’s  there to make it worth my while and as brocky  said it’s a long walk to the event from the parking lot…. Bob

I like watts show the best probly cause it’s only a 20 min ride there I take the B and wife gets to take her 48 Chevy they always give a nice treat bag with some cool stuff in it and it’s nice day there I don’t usually get to stay long cause the little one gets antsy and wants to leave I feel bad I saw other dog there as I was leaving wish I would have got to say hello it’s hard to tell who on here it’s there cause I don’t know the faces lol

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

1 hour ago, other dog said:

These are 2 of my favorite trucks, right here. Old GMCs, an 860 Cannonball and a D860. Unrestored, looking like they did when they were still working. And the owner, J.B. Stoltzfus, encourages people to get in them and take a look.

FB_IMG_1663417231773.thumb.jpg.65b75a6296bfbb930601fdc98f3bcd46.jpg

I like the sleeper one,, probably mentioned I rode in one with my pop way back around 1962 I’m not sure why we were in it because he was working for my uncle that had mostly brockways but the did have an old emeryville so maybe he also had the jimmy not sure I was very young and surprised I even remember that… thanks for posting 

Ya the wife and I don’t really go anywhere Maby a trip to the beach once a year but that’s it she don’t like sitting at truck shows for hrs we kinda slip in and out of the local car shows here and there

If your going to be a bear be a grizzly

My wife enjoys the truck shows, but not the cars. That’s kind of a weird story behind that. I am not going to spoil the conversation with ha ha she used to go with me all the time, but we have two little dogs that need attention and I have to fly so It’s easier for me to go by myself out there Bob