Heated windshild

I just put a heated windshield  and can't get a wiring harness. Does anybody  know how I can wire it. I put a switch  with a light in place of a timer but not sure what Amp size breaker to put in without burning  out the windshield.

Did you get the windshield new or remove it from a junk truck? If you removed it you could get the VIN off the truck it was taken out of and go to dealer. They should be able to tell you some particulars regarding fuse size for the defroster. I have only ever seen the heated windshields on Mack Granites specd for government highway departments on their snow plowing trucks. 

Maybe a smaller breaker would work ???  (like 15 amp)  when it overheats it'll trip and then come back on after it cools off . Might be enough to get stuff sliding off the glass.  Certain areas ? those trucks can be a problem in just the right storm when it comes to keeping the glass clear.  Or maybe a fan might be a better idea ?

3 hours ago, Ton said:

thanks the mack dealer had them there from a township that didnt pick them up. they are not much help since they said the wireing harness is obsolete.

Thats kind of a shame on a few levels. First off its tough for me to understand that a 2004 is considered obsolete. I know its going on 20 years now but I still see piles of Granites on the road. I could understand not stocking too many Granite specific parts anymore but to be completely obsolete to the point where there is no information on it is questionable. I think you got a hold of a lazy parts man.  My truck is a 94 RD and my dealer has no issue looking up any part for it. Hopefully that continues to be the case but I realize time moves on and you have to dig harder to keep your old equipment moving. Second, at least they guy at the dealer could have looked up the VIN of one of the township trucks these windshields were supposed to go into and at least tried to give you a fuse size. If the township had previously ordered parts for their trucks at that dealer then they would have been in their computer system....:pat:

After looking this morning the only wiring diagrams I can find are for 2007 and up MP engine equipped trucks starting with the CXP-CTP trucks and all the way to the newest trucks,  looks to be a simple circuit with a 20 amp fuse feeding a dash switch and also a 4 prong relay , turn on switch and this activates the relay sending 12 to the windshield. You could get this in the standard 2 piece or one piece windshield. As far as the relay goes , I don’t know it it’s just a standard plain relay or one like the the heated mirrors and has a timer in it 

Timed relay, Mack can still get you all the items you need for it. 2004 is by no means obsolete, we have no problem getting any part for our RDs and CVs….A lot of those windshields get ruined here in PA with the removal of inspection stickers. With the location of the stickers and the scraping with a razor blade, if your not careful you can cut the copper heating strip in it. 

• Like 1

Since he is retrofitting a truck that never had a heated windshield where would be a good place to pull key on 12V from to run to the switch? I would think you would want it to shut off with the key incase you forget to flip the switch off. He said he did not include a timer. I am not familiar with the Granite electrical system.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onyx610 said:

They came factory with a timed relay, I do agree with you on wiring it that way. Plenty of spots to wire into. Then just do a switch, relay, and a circuit breaker like someone said. 

14 hours ago, Mackpro said:

I have never seen one in real life. Only in the option sections of wiring diagrams. I believe you can still order a new truck with it . 

I never saw one of these either ! never new it existed That said The new online crap wiring diagrams are Almost non existent for the older stuff and even if its there its a Dogs breakfast to look at! Volvo Trashers have totally dropped the ball when it comes to most of this stuff!

• Like 1