Pictures of the Week

other dog

I hope it does me well, I always heard that they were good engines. I'm thinking that the way my luck goes though I'll put all these new parts on it and it'll drive like a new one and the engine will come apart on the way home. It's showing 34,000 miles but the odometer doesn't work, so I hope it's 134,000 instead of 2 or 334,000.

• Like 1

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

...and I don't think the owner was trying to "put one over on me" at all, I think he's a straight up guy.

Unlike the kid I bought the Dodge from, I think he saw me coming. I doubt that Dodge just started doing that, I think he knew it, but he never mentioned it, and that's why he wanted to get rid of it. 

But Ford guy said he would put the new battery in,  before I even asked him to, and he told me about the power steering leak and that he didn't use the rear gas tank because it leaked when you filled it all the way up. He had never even looked into what was leaking he said, he just never used it.

So here's a girl in a shopping cart -

FB_IMG_1632957244914.thumb.jpg.0d5901e210732deac1b31e0515bfd436.jpg

He just added fluid to the power steering periodically,  just like I was intending to do. It wasn't like it was pouring fluid out, it was pretty much just a drip. I didn't know it wouldn't pass inspection like that. I didn't know the rusted floor wouldn't pass either, he had floor mats, or an old mud flap or something over it.

• Like 2

a friend of mine in Mary land has an 89 4X4 that has been rode hard and put away wet every day of it's life. towing company off road recovery truck. 

the 4.9 six, ZF5 trans, transfer case, and axles all have 502,000 miles on them.

he is in the process of redoing it. new cab and body, frame painted, and engine regasketed. nothing else is being done to the engine. 

• Like 1

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

That's still a bargain in this wide brown land, lets face Ford never sold many F 150s out here

300 6 is okay, just like the 292 Mexican 6 mentioned

Australia was mainly a big country as they are eimple reliable and last for ever

400,OOO  miles would be a lot, 200,000 is still fine and they ar3 only broken in at 100,000

Paul

• Like 1

13 hours ago, other dog said:

So here's a girl in a shopping cart -

FB_IMG_1632957244914.thumb.jpg.0d5901e210732deac1b31e0515bfd436.jpg

I think She'd be Barely Legal.. Otherdog..

Those old 300's were a good Motor. Dad had one in a F700. It got a bit Tired so he put a 351 in It. .

All he gained was the V8 Burble.. Didn't seem to Go all that much Harder...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

I had an 88 but mine has a 302 I think,, it was a V-8 I really liked the truck traded it 14 years ago for a 2006  I would’ve just hung onto it but I didn’t have air-conditioning what is the only reason they got rid of it… bob

On 10/19/2021 at 10:36 AM, other dog said:

I was driving along a back road minding my own business a few weeks ago when I spotted a Ford F150 sitting in a yard with a "for sale" sign in the windshield. I've been wanting a pickup for a while, but I thought back to the last time I saw a pickup for sale by the road... 

It was a nice looking short bed 4wd Dodge, so I went back to take a closer look. Everybody has a short bed square body Chevrolet pickup, but nobody has a Dodge. So I ended up buying that Dodge, paid way too much for it, but I had big plans for it- I was going to get it painted, put some mud tires on it, it would be sharp, or so I thought. Actually all it ended up being was a money pit, never could get it running like it was supposed to. It ran great when it ran, but it would just die periodically, and you never knew when it was going to quit. Might run 2 weeks without a hitch, or it might start acting up before I got out of the driveway. So after spending a small fortune on it and replacing everything I could think of, and taking it to every garage and shop from Appomattox to Concord to Gladys and having them do everything they could think of, with the same results, I got tired of throwing money away on it and sold it- for a lot less than I paid for it.

DSC_0368.JPG.e767e543c73284cd783c8980897b920d.JPG

So when I saw this Ford I kept right on riding, never even slowed down.

pu246t.jpg.24c98a1d79773ea7bc67581aec8709d9.jpg

But as I was riding along in Rustburg one day I thought i'd go take a look at it, it was only a mile or so down to it after you turned by the store on the corner. I must have looked too long, because Zina from Gladys got out of the car and came over to look too. What had caught my attention was the price- $1,800. It was the first time i'd seen what appeared to be a reasonably priced pickup for a long time.

The owner was there and he came over to start it for me, but it wouldn't start. The right front tire was low too- reminded me of the old Dodge! Anyway, he said he would put a new battery in it if I wanted to come back and drive it. He called the next day and said he put a brand new battery in it so I went back to Rustburg and took it for a test drive. 

It ran ok except it idled a bit fast, but it had about a quarter turn of play in the steering wheel. I got Zina from Gladys to turn the wheel while I looked under the front end and the center drag link was obviously loose, it had a lot of play in it. And the tires were all low, that right front only had 20 lbs. in it. And a U-joint was "ticking" when you would go from 1st. to reverse, and I found the rear joint was bad when I would hit it with my hands.

pa24.jpg.eaafe12ededcac3d426ec4d6b1e2ce7d.jpg

So here's an actual photo of me and Pammeler Anderson that was taken the last time I was in sunny Florida, to relieve the boredom of a long post.

But the truck had nice looking tires on it, so I bought it.

pu2466.jpg.60ebc7e7cb88cf8f2036b5ec55cf981c.jpg

The guy I bought it from said he only used it for hunting, he probably didn't even notice the play in the steering. I took it straight to a garage in Concord and told them to go over it with a fine tooth comb, and evidently they did. It needs all these items-

pu2461-2.thumb.jpg.0c470a3a1bb321e85415aa0826e24c0d.jpg

I was just going to patch the rust holes in the floorboard, but I went ahead and ordered patch panels yesterday. It has the 300 6 cylinder in it and a 4 speed, and even after the parts and work I still have less in it than I paid for that POS Dodge.

How much for labor ?

7 hours ago, Hayseed said:

I think She'd be Barely Legal.. Otherdog..

Those old 300's were a good Motor. Dad had one in a F700. It got a bit Tired so he put a 351 in It. .

All he gained was the V8 Burble.. Didn't seem to Go all that much Harder...

I picked her up and put her in the cart, but Zina made me put her back.

• Haha 1

42 minutes ago, terry said:

How much for labor ?

If they fix everything I'm looking at about $600 in parts and about $800 labor. 

I was going to "slap a patch" on the floorboards myself and put self tapping sheet metal screws in it, if I could find anywhere solid enough to screw them into. That would probably work, but then I decided to go ahead and do it right, or more righter anyway, so I ordered the repair panels for both sides. I'll take it across 460 to the  FLM shop and get somebody to weld them in for me when I get them. Then I'll just take it back over to the garage and they'll put an inspection sticker on it.

• Like 1

Well, the guy at the garage just called. He wanted me to come over and look at the truck before he went any further, so I knew it had to be bad. They close at 5, so i'll go in the morning. But he said he found more rust, around the body and cab mounts. So I said I guess i'll have to put cab mounts on it, i've done it before. But he said no, there's nothing there- except more rust. I didn't see it, he didn't see it until he got to working on it. So now I feel horrible- again.

Thought I was onto something here, but now I don't know. I hope it's repairable, without trying to find another cab for it, which may be unpossible. I might have just thrown away a pile of money.

14 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Well all I can say is at least if you fix all the rust you know its right from then on for rust if you look after it

I assume all the patch panels can be bought relatively easy over there 

Paul

I was just looking for patch panels. You can get the floor panels, door panels, fenders, but I didn't see any for the front where the cab mounts are. I'll know more when I go look tomorrow, I hope it's a repairable situation.

3 minutes ago, Dirtymilkman said:

Those cabs are pretty common. They were for many years on the heavier trucks. I think it'd be cheaper to find a cab then to repair yours. 

Looks like an easy one to match the paint on too.  I agree, replacing it would be easier in the long run.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, tjc transport said:

www.car-part.com

there are a bunch of cabs listed in Virginia, from $200 to $700 with a part grade of A (good) 

Thank you for this, and some are pretty close to me. There's cabs in Roanoke, Christiansburg, Louisa, Va. and Hillsborough, N.C, all of which are pretty close.