Antique Trailer License?

Frank Y

Tossing around the idea of getting a SMALL single axle 5th wheel lowboy to pull behind my B61. I looked on the Penndot website under the antique registration form and see nothing that says the antique cannot be a trailer. Is anyone running antique plates on a, say, 1960s trailer? I would use it occasionally to haul my 1926 Chevy to a show or maybe some antique engines to a show. The truck is insured through Haggerty and they say they have ZERO problems with pulling a trailer with my antique Mack with my personal toys on it. Anyone have some insight?

Thanks

Frank

It's been awhile since I purchased my single axle landscape trailer. I didnt know a permanent plate existed. Guess I'll need to line up an inspection place while I'm looking for a trailer. And no, that's not a bad price to swallow. And the inspection cant be that expensive. But given how much I'll be using the trailer may require more thought. Or maybe I'll need to go to more shows to make it worthwhile LOL!

THANKS GUYS!

• 4 weeks later...

SC has permanent trailer plates for a commercial trailer for about $100 lifetime with no yearly property tax.. Non Commercial utility trailers do not need a plate.. BUT BUT the other states sort of frown on this!! About 10 years ago SC came out with a permanent utility, "UP" prefix, for $75 and no yearly property tax. This is what I have on my 32 foot gooseneck enclosed car trailer.

All of our chapter members pull their regular work trailers with Antique Vehicle plated tractors with no problems.

Brocky

Was approached by a local racer who pulls a std box trailer(hauls race car) with a Pete with historical tags and the Ohio patrol busted him.  He had to put truck plates back on it($1600).  Seems they told him he could not pull a trailer with historical plates on the truck.  I was like..."never heard that before".  Maybe my Mack is a bit more "non comm" looking compared to a 359.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

3 hours ago, Freightrain said:

Was approached by a local racer who pulls a std box trailer(hauls race car) with a Pete with historical tags and the Ohio patrol busted him.  He had to put truck plates back on it($1600).  Seems they told him he could not pull a trailer with historical plates on the truck.  I was like..."never heard that before".  Maybe my Mack is a bit more "non comm" looking compared to a 359.

A little off topic but... Here in AZ No historical Plates on anything over 10,000 lbs (Total weight) so no truck trailer combinations. Have to use a standard Commercial Plate over 10,000 lbs. There is a one time Permanent trailer plate for under "declarered" 10,000 lbs. My trailer is 9640 lbs empty. I put 10K on the trailer and 70K on the Mack, $1540.00 per year registration for weight. The show trucks don't pull trailers so just put 12K lbs on for weight and like $40 per year registration.

That said, the point is (hauling race car) is a no, no here without DOT Numbers. Best to have PLAIN truck and trailer, NO STICKERS or anything. Tucson is the worst in AZ. I have seen it a few times down by the race tracks. Enclosed Race trailers (with contingence stickers) and open trailers with races cars (some with contingences stickers some without) pulled over by  AZ State Troopers (They are Pricks). Reason you are making money with the use of the truck and trailer. You win one round for say $20 plus maybe contingence money, have to have a commercial plate and DOT Numbers for commercial use. So yes races do get busted for the stupid stuff just to have a little fun. Sort of like having a patrol car outside the local bar but race track instead.

Totally off topic: Got pulled over in Tucson of all places. Trooper: You know why I pulled you over, Me: I have no clue to why you pulled me over. The Reason and Last thing on my mine: No mud flaps on a 1 Ton dully. I did have a Race engine in the bed and getting off the next exit to the dyno shop. Think they just hate Races there. I said it did not come with mud flaps so why do I have to put them on to come though Tucson? Not even jacked up from stock height but Trooper said I was. Trooper said: Well seeing you are from up North in Scottsdale, I can just impound it or you got 24 hours to get them on and show proof or get an out of service registration notice until they are on.  Had them on the next day.

Of course, I’m the ass that would tell the cop I’ll see him in court over that mudflap ticket. Wouldn’t be the first time. I’m pretty respectful to cops until they start throwing fits over non issues so they can fill out their ticket quotas. I’ll put this out there too, my driving record is clean as a whistle, not a spot on it, but I’ve seen more than one cop mess up his own record in front of a judge.

Just my two sense.

• Like 1
  • Like 1

Who needs a back yard when you could have a :mack1: Yard?!

7 hours ago, CaptainCrutch said:

Of course, I’m the ass that would tell the cop I’ll see him in court over that mudflap ticket. Wouldn’t be the first time. I’m pretty respectful to cops until they start throwing fits over non issues so they can fill out their ticket quotas. I’ll put this out there too, my driving record is clean as a whistle, not a spot on it, but I’ve seen more than one cop mess up his own record in front of a judge.

Just my two sense.

Im with you, I've  stood my ground a couple of times and the cops have then tried to intimidate me and bully me

Thats a big no no with me and I just dig my heals in and push back and have had two coppers shifted on and a few cases thrown out 

Don't get me wrong, I have full respect for them until they become disrespectful 

Paul

On 9/23/2021 at 7:53 PM, AZB755V8 said:

A little off topic but... Here in AZ No historical Plates on anything over 10,000 lbs (Total weight) so no truck trailer combinations. Have to use a standard Commercial Plate over 10,000 lbs. There is a one time Permanent trailer plate for under "declarered" 10,000 lbs. My trailer is 9640 lbs empty. I put 10K on the trailer and 70K on the Mack, $1540.00 per year registration for weight. The show trucks don't pull trailers so just put 12K lbs on for weight and like $40 per year registration.

That said, the point is (hauling race car) is a no, no here without DOT Numbers. Best to have PLAIN truck and trailer, NO STICKERS or anything. Tucson is the worst in AZ. I have seen it a few times down by the race tracks. Enclosed Race trailers (with contingence stickers) and open trailers with races cars (some with contingences stickers some without) pulled over by  AZ State Troopers (They are Pricks). Reason you are making money with the use of the truck and trailer. You win one round for say $20 plus maybe contingence money, have to have a commercial plate and DOT Numbers for commercial use. So yes races do get busted for the stupid stuff just to have a little fun. Sort of like having a patrol car outside the local bar but race track instead.

Totally off topic: Got pulled over in Tucson of all places. Trooper: You know why I pulled you over, Me: I have no clue to why you pulled me over. The Reason and Last thing on my mine: No mud flaps on a 1 Ton dully. I did have a Race engine in the bed and getting off the next exit to the dyno shop. Think they just hate Races there. I said it did not come with mud flaps so why do I have to put them on to come though Tucson? Not even jacked up from stock height but Trooper said I was. Trooper said: Well seeing you are from up North in Scottsdale, I can just impound it or you got 24 hours to get them on and show proof or get an out of service registration notice until they are on.  Had them on the next day.

I am going through registration in CT. I had to submit a notarized letter saying This vehicle will be used to attend car/truck shows and the occasional drive for pleasure. It will in no way be used in the furtherance of business and is specifically for personal use. This allows me to not have a DOT number and use Classic plates. I haven't started looking for a trailer yet, so I have no idea on that aspect. 

• 2 weeks later...

If you live in Pennsylvania. Vehicles possessing Antique registrations are also exempt from Federal Motor Carrier inspection regulations as well, absent equipment violation as they are different. They are no longer recognized by the courts, Et al., as "Commercial Motor Vehicles" and the driver no longer needs to possess a CDL either to operate it as the vehicle is de-registered to haul commodities or commerce. Hope this helps!!!! 

http://www.dot.state.pa.us/public/dvspubsforms/BMV/BMV Fact Sheets/fs-ant.pdf