TRTXL 1070B 12 speed issue

Brandt

I started the truck up to build air and forgot that I had left it in gear when I shut it off several days before.  Once air was built I went over to it and heard a grinding sound.  I realized what I had done and pulled it out of gear.

Now I have no movement at all. No forward movement, No reverse movement, no deeprange movement.  What did I FU now!!!   How expensive is this fix gonna be??

Edited by Brandt

1 hour ago, Brandt said:

I started the truck up to build air and forgot that I had left it in gear when I shut it off several days before.  Once air was built I went over to it and heard a grinding sound.  I realized what I had done and pulled it out of gear.

Now I have no movement at all. No forward movement, No reverse movement, no deeprange movement.  What did I FU now!!!   How expensive is this fix gonna be??

From what you tell it's some sliding clutch and a gear wheel the clutch mates to. Having either no forward and reverse my suggestion is it's not the compound gearbox where the tranny shifts into Lo OR Reverse. If so it means that's the splitter which is assembled in the front portion of the tranny and provides torque to the rest of the gears. The cost of the fix is a gear ($400?) and a sliding clutch ($150?) plus removing the tranny and taking it apart. Personally I never got into a 12 speed and my suggestions are based on the theory. Too probably someone else will give you more exact advices and correct my statements if I'm wrong.

TRTXL-1070 Museum.JPG

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Pull the rear shift cover with the air line's, and inspect the fork and rail for a loose set screw and of course any other damage. It sounds to me that, the truck was low on air pressure,  and when it came up, the range clutch tried to engage, and ground itself a bit....  mabey it's just stuck between ranges, not saying it's not 'hurt'...  jojo

In the rear section of the box you have high split, low split and reverse 

The high-low split and reverse are mechanically interlocked, it sounds to me that these have bound up for some reason and I would do as Joey suggests 

Pull the lid and have a look 

This is a fare bit of stuffing about to do this but it can be done with out dropping the box out 

If its a air ride cab stick a jack under the cab between the  chassis rail and the cab floor and jack it up as high is it will go without damaging anything 

With the floor out and the cab up you can get it out okay, getting it back in and lined up right is the hard part 

But before you do all of this, can you hear the shifters going clunk etc as you rotate the knob  ?

The mechanical interlock is situated in the blue circled area, theres a nolt doo hicky were the arrow points were the mechanical interlock comes outfor working 

20210724-135202.jpg

Paul

• Like 2

I didn't hear anything when I was rotating the knob around.  When I engaged the Deep Reduction, I heard nothing until I moved the stick into 1st gear. Then I heard a clunk and the stick was locked in the 1st gear position.

You can probably tell by my terminology that I am only marginally mechanically inclined. When I look at those pix of a transmission, my head starts to hurt. I still think there is some voodoo that makes a differential work!

The cab is air supported in the back, but I have my hydraulic tank behind the cab to make things more difficult.

If you cant hear anything at all, try turning the truck off once it is full of air and then rotating the knob 

Sounds like you have no air supply getting to the box for some reason

But first things first, establish a full air charge with the truck, ie start and run till it has built up pressure

Then stop the truck and try rotating the switch control on the gear stick

It will not matter if it's in gear or not 

Rotate thru from left to right allowing a moment at each position 

Yoy should hear puffs of air going thru the gear stick control

Paul 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I might be interested in the 12 speed as well. Bought one from local Weller truck part and removed and replaced to have essentially the same thing happen but with the new transmission.  Dropped it out again and moved the forks around manually and Weller said with video sent to them it seemed to be fine.  Currently have been running it for a year and it’s not right but according to Weller it’s within spec. FYI- Won’t use Weller again

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...

Finally got this out and am willing to sell it. No PTO on it (my pump is driven off of the crank).  I have no idea of it's value in this condition. 240K miles on it before I broke it.   I'm in 82435, but can ship from 59101 too.