E6 and injector pump indentation

I have been asked is there a positive way of indentfiying these two items 

As in what do all the numbers and letters 

I believe EN is for E series ,D is for diesel, T turbo charged next lot of numbers are displacement 

But thats about were my brains run out

If I was to google adds for Mack trucks for sale in Australia and look at whats listed, almost every single truck is a 350 Maxidyne allegedly, even the 2 valve trucks

This I know isnt correct or even close to correct but every person today tries and tells everyone else that they have the duck guts in cool powered Macks even though most Macks of this era were never sold that way and were poverty packs 

So can I tell from numbers if its a 2 valve

Can I tell by injector pump numbers the power rating it was set at 

Any info on this would be gratefully accepted, Im apparently gunna get some photos of these numbers on a truck some hours away to try and help decipher, this info is coming my way in the next 2 -3 hours 

So if anyone has the low down, not rumors or such but the actual facts please feel free to share 

Paul

END is non-turbo,,,ENDT is with turbo. E-6 2 valves, have a rounded valve cover with 3 bolts down the middle.. this I know, but I think the 4 valve has a different valve cover, and I think production was around 1984,,, til 89'... sorry, a bit rusty... jojo

Edited by Joey Mack
Poor spelling
  • Like 1

I don't think the four valve E6 engine had an AMBAC, (American Bosch) injection system. I think they were all Robert Bosch by the time of the four valve head system.

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Well the truck is pretty much what I expected 

A 350 with a series coolpower motor

12 speed, lite ass end 34 or 38's 

Has had broken banjo housing on the front diff

My brother is looking at it, will see what comes of it, I'll chuck some more photos up after he makes his mind up

I keep on reminding him (my brother) that the truck is nearly 40 years so everything will of been rebuilt several times over already and nothing most likely is still original 

Thanks for everyones input

Paul

44 minutes ago, 880joe said:

4 valve engines had both style of pumps

Never seen any AMBAC on a 4V head myself. Back in 1983 when the 1984 trucks were being built and the four valve heads came out, all new trucks had Robert Bosch pumps installed I seen. I was doing a lot more shortening that stretching in those days as the dealer always ordered the trucks in very long for cutdown to customer spec. Usually the engine speed cable ran right to the injection pump arm directly but sometimes a pull type solenoid was incorporated and actuated the linkage. I'm referencing PTO throttle cable, not accelerator cable.

I would like to see what it would take to install a Robert Bosch pump onto an engine that currently had an AMBAC installed as parts are getting scarce for the AMBAC style.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

10 hours ago, Rob said:

I don't think the four valve E6 engine had an AMBAC, (American Bosch) injection system. I think they were all Robert Bosch by the time of the four valve head system.

Looking back through some of the postings of years ago, I do see where AMBAC was installed onto the 4 valve engines. Haven't seen this myself but maybe this was more common than I'd thought. I'd really like to swap one of my engines to the Robert Bosch pump if possible as parts are NLA for the AMBAC installed, and the governor is shot. 

I purchased a new 350 Valueliner in early 87 and that had an ambac pump. I believe the Robert Bosch uses a 4 bolt mount and Ambac has 3. To change pumps you need to redrill the block if not already done by Mack’s, my fading brain doesn’t know.  Remember the RB pump sits further forward on the engine so injector pipes also need replacing. I’m doing that now on my lads truck, converting a 454 EA7 computer engine to mechanical, the tacho drive might be the challenging   
part. 

Hi Steve and thanks for your input. I left working on trucks in 1983 and technology was changing quickly. The 4V heads were brand new and I've not worked on a single one other than routine service, (LOF) etc. I have a good 300+ engine minus a good pump which is plain worn out. I would like to install this engine into another B61 I have but it would need to have the pump replaced, or rebuilt. Sheid Diesel whom is somewhat local to me makes injection lines and I'd probably go with those if I can get the pump upgraded.

Thanks,

21 hours ago, Rob said:

Never seen any AMBAC on a 4V head myself. Back in 1983 when the 1984 trucks were being built and the four valve heads came out, all new trucks had Robert Bosch pumps installed I seen. I was doing a lot more shortening that stretching in those days as the dealer always ordered the trucks in very long for cutdown to customer spec. Usually the engine speed cable ran right to the injection pump arm directly but sometimes a pull type solenoid was incorporated and actuated the linkage. I'm referencing PTO throttle cable, not accelerator cable.

I would like to see what it would take to install a Robert Bosch pump onto an engine that currently had an AMBAC installed as parts are getting scarce for the AMBAC style.

Rob the 4 valve E6 used both pumps but was a different block.The last i think three years of E6 was when the block was changed and the pump also used a adapter between the pump and block.

glenn akers

The blocks that had am ambac had the holes blanked off with Allen screws repaired lots of theses had to remove the pump and reseal the screws pia but that is what happens when you’re morphing to a different fuel system! Mack seemed to do a lot of this back in the day!

Fred;

Is this the later block Glenn mentions that had the Allen socket screws installed? Wouldn't have a photo or snippet from a manual would you? I only have much older publications and literature.

Photo from ebay of a 1986 EM6-300 engine block. This one appears to have the AMBAC pump mounting pattern and I've never seen a block with the two plugs at the top of the pump drive gear area?

image.jpeg.5ece4d92829b8b329d3c29ce1f6afb74.jpeg

image.jpeg.e6f48a3c88efba012da46873728ffe43.jpeg

Thanks,

Edited by Rob

I have beem asked another question 

Can a Mack direct be changed into a overdrive like a Roadranger ?

I have never looked into this as I have never had a need

IMG-2117.jpg

This doesn't even look like a Mack number to me but I dunno 

It is definitely a Mack Maxitorque 12 speed with deep reduction on the dash

Paul

8 hours ago, fjh said:

The blocks that had am ambac had the holes blanked off with Allen screws repaired lots of theses had to remove the pump and reseal the screws pia but that is what happens when you’re morphing to a different fuel system! Mack seemed to do a lot of this back in the day!

fjh is helping me to get my memory back and i remember this and also remember that the last 4 valve could not use the Ambac pump because it was not drilled for the  3 bolts or could not have a pump drive bolted in front.

glenn akers

That’s interesting glenn, I’m going to have a look at an ex fedex engine i imported a couple of years ago, it is fitted with a RB pump, maybe it has ambac bolt holes plugged. Another thing I noticed with this engine, it has a very strange engine number. See what happens when I take it in for rego.

10 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

IMG-2117.jpg

Paul

Paul, VMR is Volvo/Mack's factory Recon division... That's why it doesn't look like a Mack Part Number..

https://vmrtruckparts.com.au/

https://www.macktrucks.com.au/parts-and-services/parts/used-and-exchange-parts/

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

11 hours ago, Rob said:

Fred;

Is this the later block Glenn mentions that had the Allen socket screws installed? Wouldn't have a photo or snippet from a manual would you? I only have much older publications and literature.

Photo from ebay of a 1986 EM6-300 engine block. This one appears to have the AMBAC pump mounting pattern and I've never seen a block with the two plugs at the top of the pump drive gear area?

image.jpeg.5ece4d92829b8b329d3c29ce1f6afb74.jpeg

image.jpeg.e6f48a3c88efba012da46873728ffe43.jpeg

Thanks,

Hard to tell ! But if you look close you will see two tiny bumps on the block casting  at the outer edge for the robby bosch morph sequence it was defiantly on their minds at that point ! The idea was there even if the holes weren't drilled yet they were gearing up for it! as the the time came close to the change up they drilled the holes for the robby and corked them with the allen screws! till the morph came about! Even as far back as the 285 and  315 the robby was sometimes used! On The very odd occasion the robby was configured as a Maxidine  pump !

Edited by fjh

I'm following now Fred; thanks. Never have been around the later E6 series engines so this is new to me.

18 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

IMG-2117.jpg

Paul

so no body knows if a Mack box can be turned into a overdrive by swapping gears and still using the same housing ?

Paul

9 hours ago, fjh said:

Hard to tell ! But if you look close you will see two tiny bumps on the block casting  at the outer edge for the robby bosch morph sequence it was defiantly on their minds at that point ! The idea was there even if the holes weren't drilled yet they were gearing up for it! as the the time came close to the change up they drilled the holes for the robby and corked them with the allen screws! till the morph came about! Even as far back as the 285 and  315 the robby was sometimes used! On The very odd occasion the robby was configured as a Maxidine  pump !

I remember on the 2 valve with a Robby pump it had a bolted in pump drive in the front and a Ambac pump could be installed in its place.But around i am thinking now but 87 or 88 the 4 valve E6 block was changed to a design to were a pump drive could not be installed in the block for the pump.They was at that time changing designs Of the E6 to change over to the E7.The cam and trust was changed like the E7 used also.fjh i have a B61 with that 315 2 valve and its a robby pump.Its the one with a no smoke valve on the end of the front of the pump.

glenn akers