What is the secret ??

Does anyone know the secret to installing a Haldex swing style clutch brake with the crazy upside down Mack fork in the way ?? Bell housing hole needs a rework with a sawzall...!!!😵

after 2 hours i fell asleep under there and never did get it in.

Thank You.

I have big fat hands and fingers I’ve had to pull the clutch fork and shafts out of the housing for extra space most the new ones you just loop over the top of the shaft or where ever the ears line up and pop the button in to locks it 

I have had a helper to press the clutch fast and hard for me, while I had a piece of flat stock, or a large screwdriver put in place opposite the button, so that the throwout bearing doesnt just move at an angle relieving the pressure to push the button in.....  I still dont like these clutch brakes.  I prefer the 2 piece aluminum type with the 2 skinny allen headed screws. and the hole is way to small, as you say... jojo

32 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Sorry Im of no help, I rarely use the clutch brake, it is out of adjustment 

Can understand it's gunna be a challenge working thru that little hole

I'll follow along to see what I can learn

Paul

How do you get your truck in gear without engaging the clutch brake? 

• Like 1

Just wait a moment, European trucks as well as Japanese trucks dont as a rule have a clutch brake fitted

Just push the clutch in and wait a moment, then slowly shift the stick into gear, you can feel the gear engaging, not grinding but actually engaging

Maybe wait 5 seconds at the most before sticking it into gear

Also I hardly ever do city stop start driving so I might have a different opinion if I did, I have driven thru plenty of big cities in Australia in peak hour I just mainly drive in rural Australia 

Paul

16 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Just wait a moment, European trucks as well as Japanese trucks dont as a rule have a clutch brake fitted

Just push the clutch in and wait a moment, then slowly shift the stick into gear, you can feel the gear engaging, not grinding but actually engaging

Maybe wait 5 seconds at the most before sticking it into gear

Also I hardly ever do city stop start driving so I might have a different opinion if I did, I have driven thru plenty of big cities in Australia in peak hour I just mainly drive in rural Australia 

Paul

Big difference between European and American gearboxes is the first have synchronizers. Those allow you to force the lever slowly and after waiting for a bit of time the traction eliminates the speed difference between the engaging splines. Theory tells this style of the shifting mechanics is less reliable since the weakest point in the tranny is synchronizers. In practic it looks to me like good quality units work about forever. 

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

15 hours ago, Onyx610 said:

What seems to be the issue with getting it in? Hardest part is getting old one out. 

The old one removed itself and was off and floating around, i will ask the driver how he managed to make it come out... but i already know, big dent in the floor board where the pedal stopped.. makes it even worse that it is a quad box the hole is the size of a postage stamp..

Edited by cpgeneration
added info

14 hours ago, mrgumby said:

I have big fat hands and fingers I’ve had to pull the clutch fork and shafts out of the housing for extra space most the new ones you just loop over the top of the shaft or where ever the ears line up and pop the button in to locks it 

My hands are no light weights, i can only fit one in the hole at a time, part of the problem, I am going to try messing with the clutch fork andhope i can get the cross shafts to slide out, the fork is right in the way of swinging the brake around the input shaft. if that wont work, it's trans jack time i guess. thanks

On 6/21/2021 at 6:37 AM, cpgeneration said:

My hands are no light weights, i can only fit one in the hole at a time, part of the problem, I am going to try messing with the clutch fork andhope i can get the cross shafts to slide out, the fork is right in the way of swinging the brake around the input shaft. if that wont work, it's trans jack time i guess. thanks

You only need one hand,trust me ,u can do it,get the slot on the shaft on the passenger side at two o’clock,get the marked tang in that slot then loop it over,close it and then step on the clutch hard to push the button in..