For sale 54 ltl

revvenuer

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Greetings, I'm Daniel from MI & new to the Forum. 

I do not belong to ATHS, inexperienced, etc, however, a long time Enthusiast of LTL's, Small Bore Cummins & Thermodyne's. "Wanted: 50's LTL"

There is a lot of ground to cover here, but This is Beautiful! .. Can anyone explain what a 420 Cummins is? 

Thank you & pleased to be here. Best Regards, Daniel. 

49 minutes ago, Dan Cary said:

Can anyone explain what a 420 Cummins is? 

Thank you & pleased to be here. Best Regards, Daniel. 

A big cam Cummins, maybe a red head

400 was standard big power setting fir a Bigcam so I reckon 420 would be easily achieved 

Im no Cummins guru but there is people much much smarter than me on here that could answer this a lot better 

Some of the the Just old trucks forum on here would know for sure

Paul

• Like 1

That truck was here a couple weeks ago.  It's alive and almost the same as in the pictures (has newer rubber now)   I think a 420 is a Magnum . Cummins cocktailed them together with the influx of Small Cams that were cores when guys upgraded to a Big Cam.  Then had some newer advancements engineered into them and were sold as a factory recon.  I think they were 420s 

• Like 2

The Magnum had big cam oiling, so that is a dead give-a-way. The NTA was different, it was all small cam, and I think the "lunch box" after-cooler.  As I say, not a small cam guy so could be wrong.

Magnum was externally a Big Cam and used all Big Cam external parts, internally was a small cam. So it would have the Big Cam oil cooler DFC oil pump, and IIRC waterpump/accessory drive pulley, same for aftercooler, all on a small cam block.

At this point it could have either in it.

CPL 23 and 135 are NTA 420's there are other CPL's as well

Edited by Geoff Weeks
  • Like 1