Need help identifying Mack Dump Truck please?

Hello, I have a rig that I am getting running for off-highway use, and am looking to try to get some info on it. Door tag is intact, Model R773ST, Serial number *2067*. I believe the block number is either 8148543 or 6148543. Any info in regards to motor, year, etc. would be greatly appreciated! The owner says he believes it's a 6V71. Drove it for the first time today (without the air assist steering) and it sounds amazing!

• 1 month later...
On 12/1/2020 at 5:36 PM, IH Tom said:

Hello, I have a rig that I am getting running for off-highway use, and am looking to try to get some info on it. Door tag is intact, Model R773ST, Serial number *2067*. I believe the block number is either 8148543 or 6148543. Any info in regards to motor, year, etc. would be greatly appreciated! The owner says he believes it's a 6V71. Drove it for the first time today (without the air assist steering) and it sounds amazing!

This is what I was able to dig up. Hope this is correct. 

V

Chassis ID ML582 2067 Model R7 (R773ST) Build date 07/01/1970 

11GB3051P31 ENGINE ASSY,DETROIT DIESEL(8V-71NE)ENGINE ASSY,DETROIT DIESEL(8V-71NE)(REV S)

SPECIFICATIONS:

ENGINE SERIES: 8V-71NE

MODEL: 7087-7044

HORSEPOWER: 242 AT 1950 R.P.M.

MAX. TORQUE LB.FT.: 690 AT 1200 R.P.M.

BORE & STROKE: 4-1/4 X 5

DISPLACEMENT: 568 CU. IN.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
16 minutes ago, terry said:

Never realized the 8V71 was such a small cubic inch engine.   terry:MackLogo:

The 71 series is 71 Cubic Inchs per cylinder.

92 series is 92 Cubic Inchs.

53 series is 53 Cubic Inchs 

• Like 1

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

1 hour ago, terry said:

Never realized the 8V71 was such a small cubic inch engine.   terry:MackLogo:

They aren't very big displacement wise, but they popped every stroke down.....so for engines that didn't make torque like modern ones it was kinda like twice the displacement ( kinda )

And quite easy to get a lot of power from relatively inexpensively.

Nothing smoother on diesel engine generator duty than a two stroke Detroit Diesel.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Just remembered something while reading all the Detroit comments...

Once operated a small tug boat.  Had a 6-71 Detroit in it.  Was labeled as "Gray Marine".  I can't remember if Gray actually built those engines based on Detroit's design, or if they started with the Jimmy and converted it to marine use.  Whatever.  It was definitely a 6-71 design.

The guys I worked with bought me a cap with gold braids on the bill, and for a while I acquired the nickname "Cap'n".

The superintendent told me they would provide a life jacket in case i fell off the boat, but would not supply a parachute if i jumped off.  Luckily, never had to do either.

• Haha 1

"Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines."

1 hour ago, doubleclutchinweasel said:

Just remembered something while reading all the Detroit comments...

Once operated a small tug boat.  Had a 6-71 Detroit in it.  Was labeled as "Gray Marine".  I can't remember if Gray actually built those engines based on Detroit's design, or if they started with the Jimmy and converted it to marine use.  Whatever.  It was definitely a 6-71 design.

The guys I worked with bought me a cap with gold braids on the bill, and for a while I acquired the nickname "Cap'n".

The superintendent told me they would provide a life jacket in case i fell off the boat, but would not supply a parachute if i jumped off.  Luckily, never had to do either.

Worked on a lot of gray marine 6-71s. I know they were in conjunction with Detroit in some way, they had  the cooling system with there daytank  (at least that’s what we called them) design that was different.