Yardo's pictures of however often he feels like posting them November 25, 2020 Version

1958 F.W.D.

58 minutes ago, hicrop10 said:

Fwd,we did some work many years ago up at the plant that Kovat’s(my spelling may be off)used to make the airport rescue tankers.We actually brought one of his tank for an r model we made in to a water truck.Your truck looks great would like to see the final product.Big bucks.

Kovatch (KME) up in Nesquohoning Pa? 

And yes the final tab is $1,072,000 & change. 

TWO STROKES ARE FOR GARDEN TOOLS

So with a 2000 gpm pump, and only a 500 gallon tank, that gives 'em about 15 seconds to get the truck hooked up to a water source before you're pumping air? Seems like a bigger tank would've been better...but then I'm just a truck driver with no experience on or around fire trucks. Not like you have to worry about DOT running you across the portables on your way to a fire...

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Really interesting to see. And those "custom built" or hand built cabs are surprize to me. Probably make sence with low production and expensive equipped units.

Many thanks for sharing that bra.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

On 11/26/2020 at 6:27 PM, Red Horse said:

Thx-very interesting.  About how many employees work in that plant.  Judging by all the trucks in the shot of the green F'liners, plant must have some serious sq.  footage.  So "Hendrickson" chassis for non-fire  use are still built?

I am not sure. They have several buildings all on the same block of a long street in Wyoming, Mi. next to Grand Rapids. There is a separate building just for paint, another building for constructing aerial ladders (and then assembling onto completed chassis) and they also have some other warehouses. And HME is also an Allison factory dealer- they do complete tear-down and rebuilds of all Allison products in a separate building.

As for completed commercial chassis, I am not sure. I do know that the still make commercial suspension components- mostly for cranes and the like. 

A quick side-story about my confidence in selecting HME as our builder (we received six bid proposals.)

I wrote the majority of the specs for the truck. One of the suspensions I called out for in the specifications was the Hendrickson Firemaxx, a proven suspension in the fire industry. So naturally when HME submitted their bid, I suspected they would have called out for their suspension. Imagine my surprise when they suggested a Raydan air-bag assist walking beam. My jaw hit the floor. I called the salesman and said "WTF?" Apparently he didn't see that either and said he would make some phone calls. 

He calls me back 2 hours later and said he spoke to the lead engineer- they called out the Raydan as they believed it would be a superior suspension for our particular application. Imagine that- a manufacturer calling out a competitor's product because it would be a better fit. That was one of the things that sold me on HME as our builder. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

A quick side-story about my confidence in selecting HME as our builder (we received six bid proposals.)

I wrote the majority of the specs for the truck. One of the suspensions I called out for in the specifications was the Hendrickson Firemaxx, a proven suspension in the fire industry. So naturally when HME submitted their bid, I suspected they would have called out for their suspension. Imagine my surprise when they suggested a Raydan air-bag assist walking beam. My jaw hit the floor. I called the salesman and said "WTF?" Apparently he didn't see that either and said he would make some phone calls. 

He calls me back 2 hours later and said he spoke to the lead engineer- they called out the Raydan as they believed it would be a superior suspension for our particular application. Imagine that- a manufacturer calling out a competitor's product because it would be a better fit. That was one of the things that sold me on HME as our builder. 

Very good example of building credibility.  Be interesting to understand why?  Is the Firemaxx air?  I know nothing about aerial ladders but if I was 85' up a ladder that was perpendicular to the chassis would I want to be held up by air bags or a stack of steel springs- I think I would feel better with steel springs😃

On 11/27/2020 at 10:29 PM, Red Horse said:

Very good example of building credibility.  Be interesting to understand why?  Is the Firemaxx air?  I know nothing about aerial ladders but if I was 85' up a ladder that was perpendicular to the chassis would I want to be held up by air bags or a stack of steel springs- I think I would feel better with steel springs😃

On 11/28/2020 at 12:09 PM, Brian L Blaylock said:

Hey FWD with 111 feet of ladder does this truck have one or two sets of outriggers 

Red Horse: All fire dept aerial ladders have outriggers, just like a crane. See pics below with descriptions. 
Brian: Two sets, see below. 

Demo1.jpg.984812b9c267704133698bf661fe9514.jpg
Factory demonstrator which the salesman brought to us a few weeks ago to "try out." This demo is almost identical to our truck 1255036834_TorqueBox1.thumb.jpg.4fee9f83adf4d5e9b236f007acae99f1.jpg
A truck very similar to ours (also seen in the pics of the original post.) Note the outriggers which are connected directly to the torque box, which supports the aerial cradle and turntable (at the top.)
Outriggers.thumb.jpg.43aba5c5c34cb553a1a79a19a2eb4d56.jpg
The demo seen with the two sets of outriggers deployed. 

1 hour ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Red Horse: All fire dept aerial ladders have outriggers, just like a crane. See pics below with descriptions. 
Brian: Two sets, see below. 

Demo1.jpg.984812b9c267704133698bf661fe9514.jpg
Factory demonstrator which the salesman brought to us a few weeks ago to "try out." This demo is almost identical to our truck 1255036834_TorqueBox1.thumb.jpg.4fee9f83adf4d5e9b236f007acae99f1.jpg
A truck very similar to ours (also seen in the pics of the original post.) Note the outriggers which are connected directly to the torque box, which supports the aerial cradle and turntable (at the top.)
Outriggers.thumb.jpg.43aba5c5c34cb553a1a79a19a2eb4d56.jpg
The demo seen with the two sets of outriggers deployed. 

For sure on the outriggers-should have thought of that.  Only issue then is WHAT the outriggers are sitting on.  I hate to tell you how many tree guys around here have put big new cranes (and bucket trucks) on the ground because they really didn't pay attention to what MIGHT be under the outrigger or they should have used a larger pad

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Cab.jpg.491b00f286687b0162a82712fe60a662.jpg
The cab
Frame.jpg.de68e4b4d881fa2b2d6d523d8cd7fde8.jpg
A few weeks ago- looking down the frame from the front. Yes the frame rails, the cross members, the torque box and outriggers are all galvanized. 

Pump.jpg.5b5e30ca9a5bb5c04a1a00f93f51a308.jpg
The pump housing, about 85% complete

2004095550_RaydanSuspension.jpg.ee52da5e41514634db50d0d403c9ed46.jpg
The Raydan air bag assist walking beam suspension. Note the Meritor disc brakes on the tandems.

1696144771_Frame6.thumb.jpg.afa57dc76b12082e309bb6bc1398b666.jpg 
Most of the suspension components are installed. The engine (X15 Cummins/600hp) and the Trans (Allison AVS4000) have been installed. 

452285286_Frame5.thumb.jpg.f939fd7c6842df9bf06227edcb243e7f.jpg

• Like 1