Seeing more cabovers

mrgumby

1 minute ago, mowerman said:

I really like that Chevy Cabover I drove a GMC Astro only one day kind of the same thing Wayback in 1976 they were both very cool rigs ... bob

My dad had a couple of Astros back in 1974, some of the features were pretty nice. Low wraparound dash, big windshield, tilt wheel. They had low-mount side mirrors, I don't know how well those worked.

On 1/21/2021 at 9:43 AM, scania v8 said:

maybe you guys would like this.... even back in the early 80s very rare up here in the Netherlands.. this guy i went to school with took it apart until the very last bolt en rebuilt it probably in a better state then it left the factory... (I know how he is😉).

nice piece of American transporting history we don't see that often up here.👌🏻

Well I'm impressed, that's a hell of undertaking, a lot bigger job than almost all of us with exception of people from Europe could even imagine

No wreckers yards or dealers or even a huge amount of passionate people to get stuff from 

Well done to all involved 

Paul

• Like 1

I had the pleasure of giving a Kenworth cabover with a 3408 a short spin I can't remember what trans but it was a real runner that was back in the mid 70's and I run a Kenworth cabover with a 380 external fuel lines Cummins 13 speed that was a good puller.

drove a 1970 cabover kenworth for a week as a loaner,,,,,hardest steering truck i had ever been in ...manual steering,,if the truck wasnt rolling a bit,i couldnt move the steering wheel at all...lol.....as far as freightliner goes i drove alot of them,4 years in a cabover,6 years in a conventional,,i really liked them both.of coarse,,,company drivers usually cant request the macks...especially out here...bob

Drove a 1978 Western Star COE with a KT450, 13 speed O/D, 4.10 differential. Came off dealer show room floor with lights in all wheels, full instrumentation. Ran like a raped ape but the wiring harnesses were always failing and the windshields leaked every rain storm.

• Like 1

Mowerman,

I don't know what the problem was but the harnesses for the differential and trans temps kept shorting out. The windshield leaks were eventually cured by removing both sides, new rubber gaskets and resealing with some real sticky black sealer.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, ws721 said:

Have a 74 Marmon.  Rugged truck. Not much for styleing

They were rugged,tough trucks,hand built by people who took pride in their product.They had a style all their own and people valued them for getting the job done.My dream truck is one of these with a "Buzzin Dozen" with around 700hp and a super 10 or 13 roadranger

• Like 1

Mine has a bad engine.  I'm the 2nd owner. I bought it from the son who told me they took a family vacation to Texas. While down there they toured the Marmon plant when this truck was started.  For a 74 i'd say it was loaded. Has a 350 S.C. Cummins, RTO 12513, Factory Air ride, air slide 5th wheel, A.C., power window. The son told me that his father had the engine rebuilt. His mother told him that the truck came home on a hook 2 weeks later. #4 rod is sticking out of the block.  I have a 350 B.C. for it but im toying with putting my 8V92 in it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

20 hours ago, ws721 said:

Mine has a bad engine.  I'm the 2nd owner. I bought it from the son who told me they took a family vacation to Texas. While down there they toured the Marmon plant when this truck was started.  For a 74 i'd say it was loaded. Has a 350 S.C. Cummins, RTO 12513, Factory Air ride, air slide 5th wheel, A.C., power window. The son told me that his father had the engine rebuilt. His mother told him that the truck came home on a hook 2 weeks later. #4 rod is sticking out of the block.  I have a 350 B.C. for it but im toying with putting my 8V92 in it.

Hard to beat the reliability of these Cummins,ive got one of those mad scientist MVT 475HP Big Cams in my Superliner Dumptruck.2 turbos and adjustable injection timing.Its getting harder to find parts for but ive been wanting one of these VT90s the V8 cummins with 500hp,the real challenge finding motors is the E9 500 Mack,which is really what i want to have to replace the motor in my F,