E-6 2v. Turbo opinion

AGTech1206

Hello I have a 84 E-6 2 valve.  AMbac pump turned up and different gov spring  I’m wanting to install a different turbo to clean up fuel and lower EGTs. Currently running 30psi boost but on hard pull will see 1200 on EGTs.  I have a S4 turbo off an E7 here would that turbo help me out or would it be too laggy?  I’ll add pic of current turbo and the E7 one I have thanks in advance 

C3D81007-8517-4253-9BD3-B4E2D2BB5541.jpeg

B284CEE7-E97F-4969-8DB9-27B2523896DC.jpeg

993217BA-853A-462F-B1B7-FF7D5D7A1A21.jpeg

98024E09-DD39-4587-8D71-56DE0D12D967.jpeg

Lot of extra work In my mind you have to convert to 5 inch exhaust and you may or may not achieve your goal ! Are you sure you have no boost leaks? Pressure test your  charge air system make sure your not loosing pressure to a leak! You should do this even if you do the swap!

Changing pump setting, turbo, timing is a black art with Mack's. Most everyone says to leave everything stock. I certainly agree but if you are the owner/driver and understand that Mack put a lot of time and money into developing the engine you have changing it may cause catastrophic damage. That said I can not leave well enough alone to get more power out of most things and have messed with some of this stuff. Got amazing power and done damage to, pistons, liners, turbos, valves, heads, etc.

If you are low on cash do not do anything, 30psi boost is actually good for a 2V E6. By changing a stock turbo with a stock turbo what is to gain? To get more boost and have some tunability an after market turbo is needed. A Borg-Warner S400 turbo is a good start. Around 68-72mm and the smallest split exhaust housing. Maybe $1000. You will get 45-50psi boost, probable  blow head gaskets, scorch pistons, overheat, have bearing failure, etc. if your foot is in it to long but will pull like crazy. Reliability goes in the toilet if you push it to far.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

If you run high EGT with that little on your plate you may opening holes with a legitimate load. 

That load should be a walk in the park even for a 2V E6. EGT's shouldn't even hit 900. To much fuel and not enough timing and air. You being a Tech know that black smoke is to much fuel and a lot more for the show and high EGT's. Injectors are matched to the supply of the pump and should be flowed to match the new setting on the pump. Turn it down, have a pump shop do it and reduce the EGT instead of countering with a bigger turbo. You will see a jump in power by properly setting a pump 10% over and 200-300 RPM's over on the governor and be good with that. A bigger turbo was a big issue, low end torque and boost is not there so drivability with a trailer with shifting suffer, been there done that myself.

Looks like that tractor has some mod's. Same principals work on truck engines. Certainly not going to get a full days work out of that tractor set-up for sled pulling. 

Noticed the added step on the fuel tank looks solid mounted and low. Hate to see if it hooks on something and fuel goes everywhere from tearing a weld.

That R Model and International look Great by the way. :thumb:

Edited by AZB755V8

Thanks and the step has been fixed since this picture much better now.  I had this setup before it was a big cam 290 turned up some and it played with this load.  When I first got this Mack it hated this load had to downshift twice where never did with other truck. And I turned Mack up put a different gov spring in it and it will run with the other now but the higher EGTs I’m not in love with. So was thinking bigger turbo to clean smoke up get heat away or open the injectors up to add more fuel with the bigger turbo to keep it cooler. Because I know if I turn it down I will not be happy with it  

28C481BB-C69D-4949-8D6B-11249D4FA141.jpeg

• Like 1

Bigger turbo may not reduce your EGT, more oxygen doesn't make your acetylene torch burn cooler. It'll change the DeltaP and create lower manifold pressure which drops you a bit. Consider EGR.....It lowers the burn temp, EGT and NOx by oxygen deprivation. Midsize Cat engine like 3126 transition to steel pistons and a wastegate at 230HP and above for same reason, more power = more heat. You need to create exhaust backpressure to create intake pressure, higher pressure is higher heat, more molecules dancing too close together. 

9 hours ago, fjh said:

Lot of extra work In my mind you have to convert to 5 inch exhaust and you may or may not achieve your goal ! Are you sure you have no boost leaks? Pressure test your  charge air system make sure your not loosing pressure to a leak! You should do this even if you do the swap!

That's A fix ! Throw that bitch on there let us know how it goes!

I'd like to try to get more out of my E6 (2 valve) but don't want to screw things up. I don't have enough experience with diesel tuning. My truck pulls fine for the loads I carry and it runs on the flat at 63 MPH. So I'll just leave well enough alone. Do I want to go faster? Anything faster in my truck might scare the crap out of me anyhow.

• Like 1

Mack 11E.jpg

Ditto.  My 237 was a big step up from the ol 673.  But I too always want more!!!!  Arh,arh,arh!  But I want dependability, so I rolled the nut a couple flats and just drive it.  Doesn't get over 1000* on the pyro.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 2 weeks later...

So I would like to hear at what RPM you are achieving  your max boost ,and how long it holds on to it before the EGT's start to climb Or it starts to fall on its face! ( curious!)

Edited by fjh