So I bought a locally famous truck I believe it is one of the 300 R Models painted gold back in '73 to promote the Maxidyne 300 engine. If the Mack Museum ever re-opens I'm sure they can tel me for sure. There's plenty of gold paint everywhere that's for sure, I wonder if W Smith cartage painted their chassis gold back then?

20200801_150727.jpg

20200801_150654.jpg

20200801_150711.jpg

20200801_180049.jpg

20200801_150719.jpg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, mowerman said:

Well  I was wondering if it ran or did you just buy it taking a chance it looks like it came out of a wrecking yard since part of it has been Sold off Or at least that’s what it looks like

It ran a few years ago and the paving company that had once owned it cut the tandems off and hooked the driveshaft to a rock crusher

32665 (2).jpeg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

I agree, if it's done right, it is plenty strong. As strong as if it were not spliced, not so sure. I have seen more than a few shade tree engineered stretch jobs that were downright scary.

LOL.  Ok you are right on that.    And lets face it, frame strength is not a place to "Let's see if this holds."

• Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

2 hours ago, Ditchdiggerjcf said:

Especially on an R model. They were kinda puny in the frame department anyway.

Single frame R's tend to break at the splay under the cab.  I have a '79 that the pass side broke 7+ years ago on, we spliced a used frame section in on that side from behind the cab forward.  Driver side just broke a few months ago, spliced that rail from behind the cab forward from a U model we had laying around.  Truck doesn't have a hard life every day, but we use it just as hard as we need it to.  Both rails have 4ft sister frame sleeves at the splices.

I like the wrecker in front of it. Holmes 750 extendable booms with a drag winch. Put a maxidyne 5 speed in front of that winch and it will pull hell backwards, absolute winching machine.  About second gear is almost the same speed as the 750. The three lines together with some snatch blocks will shame these modern hydraulic trucks. My 1945 Reo got to help a modern wrecker with a sunk end loader. Modern wrecker pulled up to the limit and quit pulling. Reo kept going and came out with the submerged loader to the surprise of young operator impressed with his new truck.  When the weight of the wrecker axle pushes down on the scotch blocks chained into the body something is going to happen.  

• Like 1

The biggest problem with most frame extensions is the material used. Many jobs are done with only cold roll about 62,000 lb tensile strength. Standard rails

from factory are 80,000 lb tensile strength and can go as high as 120,000 lb. Plus many liners or inside frame rails that are installed are nothing more than

cold roll formed. I've done major frame jobs through the years and never had any problems, knock on wood.

006 (3).JPG

• Like 1

One ping only

On 8/2/2020 at 5:14 PM, Prowrench said:

So I bought a locally famous truck I believe it is one of the 300 R Models painted gold back in '73 to promote the Maxidyne 300 engine. If the Mack Museum ever re-opens I'm sure they can tel me for sure. There's plenty of gold paint everywhere that's for sure, I wonder if W Smith cartage painted their chassis gold back then?

20200801_150727.jpg

20200801_150654.jpg

20200801_150711.jpg

20200801_180049.jpg

20200801_150719.jpg

Maybe think about removing one of the clearance lights or a horn in search of white paint. That may be the telltale evidence.

• Like 1