1989 Ford F800

Quickfarms

In the middle 70's I worked at a Matlack facility to transfer bulk plastics from rail cars to pneumatic trailers and one of the transfer machines was powered by an inline 6 Ford diesel. Do not remember the size???

Brocky

• 2 weeks later...

Rebuilding the fifth wheel has turned into a pain in the ass. The Holland instructions make it sound like a piece of cake. They say to make a helper block out of hardwood or steel, they should just say steel, that oak block I made did not work until I wrapped it in 1/8” steel strap. After that and greasing everything it went ok until the instructions said release the handle, easier said than actually accomplished.

The real frustration occurred when I adjusted the lock wedge with a piece of 2” steel tubing in there, it’s the same diameter as the small part of my kingpin. Now when I pull the handle the lock retracts like it should but the jaws don’t open!

If I back the adjustment off it works

I am wondering if I can’t pull the handle far enough because the fifth wheel is not attached to the truck.

Any thoughts

7ba9fb5cd9f59dac22c94fd624c0806a.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Very nice pics Quickfarms. How's the F800 to drive empty? I eneded up buying a new F150 because my F550 was punishing me on the highway empty, LOL I just keep it for my in-town truck now.

Bummer that that fuel filter failed. What caused that?

4 hours ago, Bullheaded said:

Very nice pics Quickfarms. How's the F800 to drive empty? I eneded up buying a new F150 because my F550 was punishing me on the highway empty, LOL I just keep it for my in-town truck now.

Bummer that that fuel filter failed. What caused that?

It can be a bit choppy of a ride on the highway at times but it’s not that bad.

The cab has air ride seats.

Several leafs were removed from the front springs and they were re arched.

The rear suspension was changed to a Rayco air ride.

I still need to install the fifth wheel top plate and inner duels .

I am considering adding a ping tank to the air ride 

To make it ride much better and to make the truck more useful I am building a removable flat bed

We have no clue why the fuel filter ruptured. The filter is located between the mechanical lift pump and the injector pump.

Any thoughts?

could be just a manufacturer defect. 

Edited by Quickfarms

Beauty- wondering about horns?  thought it had horns on roof? then I'm thinking no spring pacs-so juice brakes- then I see what looks like air lines coming up in back of cab???

And the answer is.....😎

By the way very nice and unusual setting and backgrounds-whose oil terminal you next to?

Always did think those F-800/8000's were a good looking truck-and they did well around here even when the Louisville came out.

The only thing that will really help the ride quality is either some weight on the back or some more wheelbase.  There isn't enough weight to make the air bags move.

Back when my truck was "stock", it was rough even when I cut the rear springs down to 3 leaves when bobtailing.  When I stretched it from 150" to 206" was the biggest improvement.  Got rid of the bucky short wheelbase ride.  It has air ride, but still bounces when bobtailing due to lack of weight back there.

I've read about the ping tanks before, but not sure how much improvement that will make?

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

2 hours ago, Red Horse said:

Beauty- wondering about horns?  thought it had horns on roof? then I'm thinking no spring pacs-so juice brakes- then I see what looks like air lines coming up in back of cab???

And the answer is.....😎

By the way very nice and unusual setting and backgrounds-whose oil terminal you next to?

Always did think those F-800/8000's were a good looking truck-and they did well around here even when the Louisville came out.

the electric horn is under the hood. Roof air horns were an option but the navy did not order it that way. I plan on mounting an air horn under the hood 

Full Air brakes 

juice brakes were on the lighter trucks like the F600

the property is next to one of the many tank farms in the Long Beach CA area but I do not know who operates this one

Edited by Quickfarms