1989 Ford F800

Quickfarms

7 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

It’s finally back together and on the road.

It started out as a $500 parts truck for my ex USN all wheel drive FT 900 but it ran great

It is powered by a Ford 7.8 diesel

The transmission is a Allison MT 643 converted to a MT653

The Ford spring suspension and 4.89 ratio RS 23160 was replaced with a clip from a 2002 peterbuilt. Reyco air ride, RS 23161 with air locker and 3.90 ratio.

The interior of the cab floor, back wall, doors and underside of the hood was coated with lizard skin.

The interior of the cab floor, back wall and doors were also covered with quite ride solutions kit.

The interior has new national esign seats on low profile pedestals with custom brackets that copy the old ford national bases. Factory air was added to the cab. I was able to find a new factory vinyl floor mat for the truck.

The truck is riding on aluminum 24.5’s

The end result is a very quiet truck inside that will effortlessly keep up with freeway traffic

6ed21ac7986889e9758bee1088f3a3bb.jpg

0e020030da78e5087f1ee5e15b9dcdc1.jpg

4ceee56565d249531e916010c343aadb.jpg

7 hours ago, Quickfarms said:

It’s finally back together and on the road.

It started out as a $500 parts truck for my ex USN all wheel drive FT 900 but it ran great

It is powered by a Ford 7.8 diesel

The transmission is a Allison MT 643 converted to a MT653

The Ford spring suspension and 4.89 ratio RS 23160 was replaced with a clip from a 2002 peterbuilt. Reyco air ride, RS 23161 with air locker and 3.90 ratio.

The interior of the cab floor, back wall, doors and underside of the hood was coated with lizard skin.

The interior of the cab floor, back wall and doors were also covered with quite ride solutions kit.

The interior has new national esign seats on low profile pedestals with custom brackets that copy the old ford national bases. Factory air was added to the cab. I was able to find a new factory vinyl floor mat for the truck.

The truck is riding on aluminum 24.5’s

The end result is a very quiet truck inside that will effortlessly keep up with freeway traffic

6ed21ac7986889e9758bee1088f3a3bb.jpg

0e020030da78e5087f1ee5e15b9dcdc1.jpg

4ceee56565d249531e916010c343aadb.jpg

Beauty-excellent job -judging by the before pix did the Navy store it on a beach someplace😎

I have two of them and have no complaints other then they are not powerhouses.

They were used to power vocational trucks and do a good job at that. They were never, to my knowledge, marketed as an over the road engine.

My research indicates that the engine was used in combines.

The funny thing is I can get mechanics to work on the 7.8 easier than a Mack engine around here. This is because until CARB banned all older, mechanical, engines there were a lot still working. There will be quite a few still working under the low mileage exemption.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, kscarbel2 said:

In the year 2020, there remain a loyal following of 7.8L-powered Ford Louisville Series operators. They take those trouble-free dump trucks out and make money every day.

I see 2 several times a Day, Everyday..

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -

32 minutes ago, Maxidyne said:

The Postal Service had a whole fleet of them in Cargo straight trucks. Rated at barely 200 HP, they were slow but very reliable, and a good cold weather starter for a mechanical engine.

Before the Ford tractor engine became a production engine in the Louisville, one of the test fleets was one of the biggest home heat distributors in Maine.  Good cold weather experience!

• Like 2

This week has been productive

Allison fixed the speedometer signal drive issue so now I have a speedometer but no odometer. Now to check the calibration of the speedometer and drop it off at the speedometer shop with a spare or two so it can be fixed.

I also found a few more air leaks

In the course of rebuilding the white and green truck I stripped 3 cabs so I have a bunch of spare parts. Most of the work was because both of the trucks now have factory air conditioning in the cabs.

• Like 2