No 1 Australian Superliner

Clarification is 1st Aussie Superliner built 1978 and it had a Cat 3408 and is now resting with other doggies in a Mack kennel in the Southern end of Australia.

The Supeliner above was the 1st powered by the MACK V8-E9, it was number 4, delivered July 1979.

• Like 1

Nice bit of Dog history!

Sure has an interesting path for the exhaust.  Leaves the driver's outside the frame and then has to get over to the pass. side.  And what kind of Aussie spec. muffler is it running?

No air start?  See two battery boxes and no large air tank.

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

Interesting story and pics.

BTW do Australian trucks have 17 digit VIN numbers or shorter ones? Or 17 digits starting from 1979? And did Macks have VIN stamping on the RH frame rail (or LH?) or neither of?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Hi Vlad

Here is a picture of Vin plate riveted onto left door of our Valueliner and yes total of 17 letters and numbers. I have not enquired about what the letters and numbers represent. Frame (chassis) number is on right side, usually front of the cab.

Dan Thomas wrote some time ago that when he was in process of registering his Aussie Valueliner he was concerned about the Vin plate not being on left side and he was relieved when he saw it was on left same as in US,

P1011143.JPG

• Like 1

No air start in Bromage's Superliner and the muffler would have been speced to comply with our fuel delivery trucks regs. During 1970's to 1980's Shell had all Macks for it's prime movers and all had same type of muffler.

Previously, the mufflers were under the front bumper and pointing out to the right side, again for govt regs,  because most fuel trucks were petrol engines. 

On 6/21/2020 at 5:46 AM, Vladislav said:

Interesting story and pics.

BTW do Australian trucks have 17 digit VIN numbers or shorter ones? Or 17 digits starting from 1979? And did Macks have VIN stamping on the RH frame rail (or LH?) or neither of?

Yes and no Vlad, I think prior to 1988 (not sure on that date but that date comes to mind for some reason) there was no requirement to have a vin number

The vin number was as simple as the first one shown, just 5 or 6 numbers 

All Australian Macks before that time had the chassis number used as there official id

The chassis number was stamped into the RHS chassis rail between the leading drive axle and chassis number and it's about a inch or 25 mm high and consisted of at a guess 15 numbers and letters and may well of been 17 in total 

When ordering parts for those older Macks in Australia you use the chassis number not the vin number

Paul

• Like 1

How about that steering box??! .. Not mounted on the axle like US Superliner 1's. They actually did manage to fit that frame mount box on those early frames. Very interesting. 

And I mistakenly thought that the "V8" emblem never appeared on the Superliners. I thought those were dropped with the R700's?

Fun is what they fine you for!

My name is Bob Buckman sir,. . . and I hate truckers.

Here is a pic of new Shell Macks with the same exhaust muffler.

Pic of blue frame 10/89 Valueliner with the steering box mounted inside the frame/chassis, the red frame Valueliner build was 12/89 it had the steering box mounted on outside of the frame, seems that Mack Aust decided soon after Oct 89 to mount the steering box outside the frame. 

All Superliners that I have seen do not have the V8 emblem, however all the Valueliners with the V8 engine have the V8 emblem. Maybe only the early V8 Superliners had the V8 emblem. The blue Superliner seems to have lost all it's hood emblems many moons past!!! Holes all filled in.

Shell Australia R Macks.jpg

41.JPG

IMG_3580.jpg

IMG_3581.jpg

11.JPG

23b.JPG

Good observation and yes seems to be a novel way to make it work, i was told by owner that it ran excellently. The air intake is pumping air in and the turbo is allowing the exhaust to release the blow out, so a new way of application that works.

On 6/23/2020 at 6:52 AM, harrybarbon said:

Pic of blue frame 10/89 Valueliner with the steering box mounted inside the frame/chassis, the red frame Valueliner build was 12/89 it had the steering box mounted on outside of the frame, seems that Mack Aust decided soon after Oct 89 to mount the steering box outside the frame.

What was the last year of production of Valueliners in Australia?

And btw were there NZ made Valueliners?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012