1951 A20H Restoration

Good Evening,

I am pretty new on here but thought everyone would like to see a condensed view of my most recent restoration.  This was done for a family I used to work for and I couldn't have asked for a better "client".  I do not do this full time nor do I think I'd want to, but it sure is fun.

This truck has spent it's entire life in Maine, being used as a marine supply truck, farm truck, fire department rig of some sort and now back to a "farm truck".  While most of it is nice and shiny we decided to keep all the original chrome and touch up the stainless and aluminum.  At owners request it received a mechanical B mated to the original Fuller 5 speed w/PTO.  In addition to shows the truck is now used to haul hay one a salt water farm and tend to lighter tasks at the family's timber frame company.

Besides glass cutting, the entire truck was completed as a single man crew in a three car garage, a testament to being stubborn and working with what space you've got left. 

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 9.05.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 9.04.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 8.52.51 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 8.53.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 8.53.38 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 8.53.53 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 8.55.44 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 8.55.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 8.56.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 8.56.00 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 9.04.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-04-01 at 8.56.39 PM.png

• Like 2

Thanks all, what a warm welcome.

I do not recall the serial number unfortunately.  I can ask the owner.  I made the interior from scratch using upholstery cardboard and marine vinyl, same way any upholsterer would.  If the fenders weren't black, I would've pushed for a dark brown leather. 

The factory Fuller trans is an SAE3 pattern, pop on ebay and you'll fine industry standard flywheel housings to mate an SAE3 to the 6BT.  Just as your 855s have an SAE1 or 2.  Everything is made to adapt thanks to the engineers back in the day.  The clutch again is just an SAE unit but with a custom disk center to match the input.  It was built by South Bend Clutch.  The starter is a 12V automotive type (non-industrial) with a machined adapter to correct the gear mesh to the flywheel ring gear.

The gauges are original.  Elbow grease on the chrome.  Everything works except the ammeter (using an alternator) and the speedometer reduction unit is stripped.  If anyone knows of a good rebuilder please let me know, it's the only thing on this truck that isn't "done".  An adapter was machined to fit the original water temp tip into the Cummins block.  Same for oil pressure.  A 12V universal sender is in the gas tank (whole truck is 12V).