2 hours ago, Hayseed said:

This is a close second.. In My opinion..

Never ran a V12 Hayseed, but spent lots of time in unmuffled Detroit's too. Mostly Ford Louisville dump trucks, a couple Paystar 5000's and two 5 Star Generals with 6-71, 6V53, 6V92, 8V53 and 8V71's and one 8V92TTA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bullheaded said:

Never ran a V12 Hayseed, but spent lots of time in unmuffled Detroit's too. Mostly Ford Louisville dump trucks, a couple Paystar 5000's and two 5 Star Generals with 6-71, 6V53, 6V92, 8V53 and 8V71's and one 8V92TTA

In the early years I spent a lot of time maintaining two stroke Detroit generator sets and agree that is a nice, and missed sound. I used to bring 12V-71, and 8V-92 engines to the point of falling off in power with portable load banks and like that truck in the video, they open right up to the task.

One of these days I'll get mine installed into something. 

image.jpeg.d6221d1c4eb2a113fbec3f5721734697.jpeg

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

5 hours ago, Rob said:

In the early years I spent a lot of time maintaining two stroke Detroit generator sets and agree that is a nice, and missed sound. I used to bring 12V-71, and 8V-92 engines to the point of falling off in power with portable load banks and like that truck in the video, they open right up to the task.

We had a Ford L9000 tandem dump with a 318 Detroit. That truck FLEW! And it never ever failed. Then we sold it and a guy bought it. He decided to open it up and refresh it.

All 8 pistons had broken rings!!! And it still pulled like crazy and showed no signs of being hurt, LOL

There was a V8 mack video from down under with a guy in a KW just awestruck about this mack running away from him up a grade.  I was just searching for it the other day and couldn't find it.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

9 minutes ago, Bullheaded said:

We had a Ford L9000 tandem dump with a 318 Detroit. That truck FLEW! And it never ever failed. Then we sold it and a guy bought it. He decided to open it up and refresh it.

All 8 pistons had broken rings!!! And it still pulled like crazy and showed no signs of being hurt, LOL

They really were a very good engine. I believe they still would be to this day if the emissions could have been kept in check. I've worked on dozens of generator sets and there is no finer engine in that duty to produce clean power than a two stroke Detroit Diesel. This is given the power pulses imparted to the crankshaft which in turn drives the rotating field, etc..... 

Those old Detroit's were built much like a Model T automobile with the most simple of technology and most anyone could keep them going. Unless they physically came apart, they tended to run and run just like the Energizer bunny. Just wear ear plugs and keep oil in them.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2020 at 2:44 PM, Rob said:

They really were a very good engine. I believe they still would be to this day if the emissions could have been kept in check. I've worked on dozens of generator sets and there is no finer engine in that duty to produce clean power than a two stroke Detroit Diesel. This is given the power pulses imparted to the crankshaft which in turn drives the rotating field, etc..... 

Those old Detroit's were built much like a Model T automobile with the most simple of technology and most anyone could keep them going. Unless they physically came apart, they tended to run and run just like the Energizer bunny. Just wear ear plugs and keep oil in them.

when they come apart;; boy do they. working at mack in CT yrs ago there was a cabover with 318. truck sat for week or so. guy comes to pick it up. hits the key engine goes from zero to beyond wide open in seconds. as most cases the emergency stop cable froze.. my job to smash rear cab screen and climb on top of screaming engine ;; manually flip shutoff. too late engine trash. baskin robbins in ct had fleet of 318's and 350  DD 's.  baskins had a mechanic  ,jimmy Cassidy  he is one of the best for setting up a DD. the stack tips were blue on one ole binder with 318.. LOL . Texaco had long nose GMC 's with 318. clear night you could hear them climb  rte 34  . knew when  shift was coming listening to engine.  like real muscle cars of days gone by.. big truck engines had a sound of their own. maybe imitated  today -NEVER duplicated 

• Like 1

On 3/13/2020 at 8:45 AM, Rob said:

I have a Marmon COE that I would really like to find a 12V to install

• Like 1

Remember if it's got a hood it's no good!

2 hours ago, hicrop10 said:

I brought one of the last mechanical V8 motors that Mack made.My mechanic at the time was an ex Mack mechanic.We had that pump turned up to the limit.It smoked like a locomotive but did she pull.That was the sweetest sound I have ever heard.

I ran a 1988 R Model. The motor had to be replaced due to a previous drivers neglect. The motor we got for it, we were told by Mack was the very last E6 350 to come off the line as they switched to the E7. I know where the truck is still sitting but it is completely rotten now and someone after me over heated that E6 and cooked it. The truck currently has a 237 they stuck in it.

20190507_115520 (Large).jpg

On 3/13/2020 at 3:49 AM, Bullheaded said:

That was me driving Paddy Ward's V12 KW in the outback on the way home from Alice Springs truck show. We met him that evening at a roadside stop where we all camped in swags! I had never driven a V12 coupled with a 13spd. Paddy said just hammer down and so I did. I was so excited that I left my son standing alongside the road. You can see him to the right. He caught a ride with another truck!!  An interesting fact is that the Ford on the trailer was bought new in Medford, OR as a slab cab for a local logging outfit. It had a V903T in it that I wanted. So I kept the motor and Paddy wanted the cab. He built the sleeper on to it with another truck he had. 

• Like 1

Cool story mackdaddy. There were a few Freightliner cabovers in my town with V12's but I never got to drive any. Lumber haulers here had some big fancy iron back in the day.

Ford CLT's with KT600's, lots if Mack V8's, Freightliners with KT's and V12's, Pete's with 3408's.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2020 at 4:34 AM, Freightrain said:

There was a V8 mack video from down under with a guy in a KW just awestruck about this mack running away from him up a grade.  I was just searching for it the other day and couldn't find it.

Sounds like one of the dean’s. Titan versus kw in Brisbane 

• Like 1