R-model cab resto report

Had to remove the sealer from the roof drip rail since it showed cracking and I planned to sandblast everything to be sure of no rust anywhere. Quite hard material being 32 years old but got soft after applying heat.

IMG_20180910_152144.jpg

• Like 1

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

WOW Vlad, you and your helper are doing a great job there, have been wondering how its all been going

Did any damage happen to the cab when you  lifted it ?

I am wanting to lift my cab off and pit heat shield and more sound depending  under it

Great stuff and thanks for sharing 

Paul

Vlad,

Wow! Your patience, skill and love for Mack is to be praised. You are gifted in your dedication to creating a better than new truck when it is completed. No matter where you live in this world a true Mack owner has the pride to display his truck and the love he has for it. It is a pleasure to read your posts and watch your progress. I can't wait to see the finished truck. Good luck and thanks for your pictures.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, navypoppop said:

I can't wait to see the finished truck.

Me either but it takes more time than I would like it to be taken. Thank you for the kind words.

13 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

WOW Vlad, you and your helper are doing a great job there, have been wondering how its all been going

Did any damage happen to the cab when you  lifted it ?

I am wanting to lift my cab off and pit heat shield and more sound depending  under it

Great stuff and thanks for sharing 

Paul

Paul, mate,

I'm happy if I could please you. i remember you showed interest and I promised to share my progress so now i do. Unfortunately it takes time and attention. I still can't figure how and take my hat off to you representing the story of rebuilding Mrs Mack with so many detailingly filmed movies being in a tight shedule with managing your property.

No, the cab didn't get any damage if you hook it up right. Worth to note i saw multiple samples of bent roofs and doors or at least drip rails on R or DM cabs even in Russia. So knowing of what you should not to do is easier to find a good way of things. For proper attachment you should use strong elements of the structure. Also you should distribute the stress to some area and not concentrate it in a small spot to avoid local depressions. The way I did is putting 150x100 mm wooden bean through the door openings. I even did the same to the completely painted cab when brang it back home from a paint shop (I will post those pics when the time comes) and didn't do any damage to fresh paint. Just put a thick pack of newspapers between the beam and the cab and also glued 3 or 4 layers of paper masking tape onto the painted surface. R-model cab seems is a tough enough structure to be lifted that way. This one was up with no doors and seats but I had experience doing the same to a complete cab. Also I parted many Mercedes G-model for business and we took complete bodies hanged to an overhead hoist using the same kind of wooden beam. I even used one hoist at the front putting the chain through the roof vent (which is quite large there though). It was funny when I took the body off my personal G when revised the chassis a couple years back. I hanged a complete body together with front end, doors, windows and interior including heavy seats. When got it off the chassis I found the balance was 99 to 100% of the weight was applied to the front hoist (usually we put 2nd one to the rearmost body to chassis mounting holes). That case all the body turned out hanging on the only chain went through the roof vent and attached to a beam I put through the door openings. And that turned out fine. No damage to the shell and no crackings in the windscreen which even had a couple to the moment. Put it back that same way after completed the chassis in 3 months.

GWzelJuly-Aug2017l_2879.jpg

GWzelJuly-Aug2017l_2878.jpg

• Like 1

looking at the hoist/cab combo, my first thought was damage to the cab  also .   have lifted a number of cabs , I always  used old pillows , towels or the like.  cushioning  the cab . always enjoyable to see old brought back to new . especially when its done with skill , not computers . great job. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mechohaulic said:

looking at the hoist/cab combo, my first thought was damage to the cab  also .   have lifted a number of cabs , I always  used old pillows , towels or the like.  cushioning  the cab . always enjoyable to see old brought back to new . especially when its done with skill , not computers . great job. 

Where a lot of guys get confused on lifting cabs is they think they can roll down window and lift through door window opening, a no no will damage door for sure.    terry:MackLogo:

• Like 1

not only where you lift from;  biggest concern  - what  is being used to lift  the cab.  towmotor (forklift) , overhead chain hoist etc all make a difference.  did a few B-C-R  conversions back in the mack  days with forklift.  couple of mysterious  fire jobs on B model  ten -wheelers. with dump bodies still on clearance was a minimum .  nice set up in the pictures with over head  hoist