After I got done putting the later engine in my b I just test drove it about 5 miles, Friday I got the new air cleaner from watt's and I pulled the old one off the truck and I stuck my hand in the intake tube on the truck and there was oil more than a film so I am figuring that oil bath that was on the truck didn't like breathing through my turbo just something to think about. And no it was not over filled and I serviced it under a thousand miles ago. Wow the 3.90 gears and 260 hp. really makes the old thing pretty jippy!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, davehummell said:

After I got done putting the later engine in my b I just test drove it about 5 miles, Friday I got the new air cleaner from watt's and I pulled the old one off the truck and I stuck my hand in the intake tube on the truck and there was oil more than a film so I am figuring that oil bath that was on the truck didn't like breathing through my turbo just something to think about. And no it was not over filled and I serviced it under a thousand miles ago. Wow the 3.90 gears and 260 hp. really makes the old thing pretty jippy!

Right on man sounds exciting....bob

5 hours ago, davehummell said:

I'm getting anxious to drive mine but throttling my ambition till I get the B-673 back onto it's wheels.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I have three years running an oil bath with my 237.  No problems.  Has not sucked it dry, though I know it does have some oil film in the pipes.  Nothing catastrophic, but I would like to put a dry filter on it someday.  Hopefully a stainless model from something newer.

I did hot tank the filter years back when I painted it so I know it's clean mesh.

Edited by Freightrain

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

The R model oil bath air cleaners are constructed differently internally than a B series was. They are larger and the oil level is maintained lower in the sump. They too pull oil at times but the plenum being longer doesn't allow much to be sucked into the piping. That is just what I've noticed from being around and servicing both types in my earlier years. 

• Like 1

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

That’s what mine is.   It’s a Nelson.   On mine a buddy shortened it 3” or 4” so it fit right and didn’t go way up the window.    I have it as close to the fender as possible about a finger thickness.     On the 70 series B’s you have more space to slide it lower.  Idk about a b61

on a side  note my buddy is a welder/fabricator.   He said this was the worst stainless he ever welded and was not at all happy with his welds on it.      

Edited by Hobert62

7 hours ago, Hobert62 said:

on a side  note my buddy is a welder/fabricator.   He said this was the worst stainless he ever welded and was not at all happy with his welds on it.      

I've seen some very poor quality stainless over the last few years...mostly on hardware coming from China.

Most of the 18-8 rated stainless steel will pit and sometimes rust. I ceased ordering from Fastenal because of this and had to find a vendor whom still supplied true "304" stainless. Was really bad on coastal installations.

The anti rust quality's we all like is due to the amount of chromium and some other added materials. For instance 18-8 is the go too for average hardware it is stronger than specialized  aluminum but not as strong as hot rolled. 400 stainless is what your average guns are made of lower chromium easier to machine most custom ss rifle barrels fall in that category. 304 some say machines better than 316 they are gummy when you work it. I had some contracts I had to use ss and always a letter of origin to prove what material I provided. 12L is a dream come true for machining but you have to be careful when welding makes great hardware if you don't need ss. You can go nuts trying to keep up with what engineer's request. My cost for a an aluminum 4"x6"x48" for one job cost 1,000.00 thank god I didn't screw up. I had a shaft on my bigger lathe that I had to fix, someone didn't read the blueprints that shaft was 5000.00. If you ever heard of golden technologies lift chairs every one of those chair subframe's went threw my shop for over 15 years.

I actually have heard of that "Golden Technologies", and their chairs. I've worked with many business entities whom work with elderly/handicapped individuals and have seen that name on correspondence several times. Never have seen any of their product however myself. We/I did a lot of accessibility for local school districts and transport in the smaller busses used including floor modifications and installation of specialty mobility options. Still have several chair lifts around the shop which were removed when vehicles were rotated.

• 5 months later...

I am thinking about switching over to a dry air filter system on my B61.  I am still trying to figure out the exact engine specs on it but I know it is the in-line 6 turbo diesel.  What do you guys and gals think?  Keep the oil bath or convert to dry?

Well I  guess you need to ask your self why you want to change it

Oil bath lasts for ever and work as well if not better than a paper element type

Only down side to a oil bath is you can get a bit messy when service time is due

Oil bath are cheaper to own and operate and work far better in extreme conditions 

Dunno if -40 changes the efficiency of them as I have never been anywhere that gets that cold

So I would just leave it 

Paul

• Like 1