E7 460 RPMs

USMC205

My tach stops at 2400, lower than all other trucks I’ve driven.  I usually shift around 16-1700.  I never let it get over 1900.  I’ve heard that the 460 was better suited for over the road, but it seems to do just fine in my dump.  Whats the sweet spot for pulling hills?  What’s the danger RPMs for this engine?  It’s an 01’ and is paired with an Eaton 8LL.  Thanks fellas.

On 9/13/2019 at 6:18 PM, 1965 said:

Never seen a Mack that needed or wanted that many rpm’s. That sounds like driving a 2 stroke Detroit.

My '79 Mack endt676 wants to go to 2100, 2300 max for your shifts.

The 2400 he referenced is the standard gauge limit in most? Mack trucks. The engines never go to that (hopefully) but it's the peak reading on the gauge.

Curve settles any arguements. You memorize that into your brain, like ECM software for your head, and drive accordingly. At your high end RPM torque/fuel economy/HP curve is diving head first right into the shallow end of the pool. EZ is driving Inside the curve’s benefits.

Edited by Mack Technician

13 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Curve settles any arguements. EZ is driving Inside the curve’s benefits.

This being said the tack seems a little high 200 or so in my mind so if he’s driving by it his sweet spot is not where we might think! 

Just my thought on it so add 200 to the s/s 1400 you get 1600/1850 roughly!! If the tack is off!

On 9/13/2019 at 4:18 PM, 1965 said:

Never seen a Mack that needed or wanted that many rpm’s. That sounds like driving a 2 stroke Detroit.

Just a note !

there was an exception ! the 325 V8 was governed at 2600 ! No load in that way they were able to use a six speed trans!

On 9/12/2019 at 6:38 PM, USMC205 said:

What’s the danger RPMs for this engine? 

I’ve seen engines come in with recorded high RPM threshold reaching over 3,100+ RPM’s and still in one piece and tuned like a piano. Same group, however, also had a gray engine, AI460, CV713, disbond the crown section of a piston on the sister machine. I didn’t get to see the threshold they reached to do it. They were tractors being pushed into downhill over-speeds by tri-axle gravel dump trailers. Hauling well over 100K+ gross so lots of engine over speed potential. IMO- Expect valve train or base engine damage anytime over 2,800-3,200 RPM would be my best guess. 

Ouch!! 3100 rpms??

I'd chew a driver out big-time for that one!  Not just for potential damage to truck, but also for sending a freight train down a mountain to who knows who at the bottom! You ruin your engine going downhill you're F 'ed, and most likely going to kill yourself and possibly others.