Side to Side Wobble

USMC205

I've got an 01' RD688S dump.  I'm getting a side to side wobble it seems like from 40-45 mph and again from 60-65 mph.  It doesn't seem like a death wobble I'd say but it is enough for concern.  I have brand new balanced steer tires on and it still does it.  When they changed the steers they noticed one of the dog ears on the driver's hub was broken off and they said this could be the problem and I would need a new hub.  It makes sense, but I don't want to take a tire mans word to make a 1K dollar repair.  What do y'all think?  Within the last year I have had the kingpins and tie-rod ends replaced.  I have all but two drives replaced in the last two months.  Any ideas?

Post a photo of the broken spider so we can see how bad.   Paul

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Well if they are running true on the spider (spokes) it must be out of balance

This February just gone I heard a big bang and thought nothing if it, was heading up to see my son in north QLD 

Got to Ayr and noticed that a stud had broken  and of course the wedge was missing 

Wheeled Mrs Mack into the only truck supply place in town and bought a wedge and stud 

The wedge wasnt the right one and was at least twice as heavy as the old Gunite ones Mack used

It wobbled pretty bad then so I went straight to Mack at Townsville and ordered the right one and some spares 

Had tp wait over night but what a difference 

Also the rim had moved on the spider in less the 90 km's 

I reckon there wouldn't have even been half a pound in weight difference in wedges but it was worse than driving with out the wedge 

My point to all this rambling on is that it doesn't take two tenths of bugger all to feel something out of balance in you steer tyres

If you have a piece broken off there's a fare chance that might be part of the problem 

Paul

• Like 1

Check your tie rod ends, drag link, etc. I drove an international oil truck one winter that had a tie rod end just about ready to fall off when I started the season. Told the boss it was about ready to fall off, he asked how I knew it was bad and I told him I could grab it and wiggle it all over. All the other drivers had just told him "steering has a wobble!"  Needless to say it was fixed a day or two later.  Truck had a nasty wobble as the one wheel would flap all over the place from such a worn out ball joint.

Thanks for the replies all.  Had to get a tire replaced so I had them jack it up.  There’s more than one rim bent in the drives.  The vibration was more coming from the rear, no bump or anything in the steering wheel at all.  With the whole rear off the ground my very old and wise suspension/alignment/tire guy put a wheel spinner on and got them up to all speeds.  Once up to speed both axles were vibrating so bad it almost jumped off the stands.  He it was so bad he couldn’t tell which rims may be bent.  I’m having 2 tires put on next week and gonna balance all the drives and go from there.

• Like 1

Sounds like you are gaining on it.

Balancing the drives may help a little.  Your tire guy probably told you that a balanced tire/wheel combo doesn't mean that it is round.  No balancing will ever solve a bent wheel.

My tire guy told me one time that he could balance a square block but I wouldn't like the ride!

What did you find out on the hub damage mentioned in your first post?

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

On 9/5/2019 at 7:28 AM, j hancock said:

Sounds like you are gaining on it.

Balancing the drives may help a little.  Your tire guy probably told you that a balanced tire/wheel combo doesn't mean that it is round.  No balancing will ever solve a bent wheel.

My tire guy told me one time that he could balance a square block but I wouldn't like the ride!

What did you find out on the hub damage mentioned in your first post?

Everything is still true and balanced with. No wobble from steers.