1974 Mack U Model for NEMF

Not sure I had an 87 U model and I was surprised it had a flat back like you I thought they all went to plus 3 in 73.... and yes I was back there couple years ago and saw New England motor freight U model on the penn turnpike ....bob

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should have checked out the door tag but I didn't.  Don't know why? 

This was at a show so the card in the window may be a typo?  Could be a bitsa made up of several years to keep the truck in good working order?

The DM and R models got the Plus 3 cab in the early 70's but the U model didn't get the Plus 3 cab until 1981 or so.  This would allow the U model to still have the shorter BBC measurement with a flat back cab.  With length laws relaxing, BBC measurements become less of an issue.

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

It's a shame that Nancy got all starry-eyed and got involved with an old rock star.

Snippet copied from the Paul McCartney wiki page.

Marriage to Nancy Shevell

McCartney started dating Shevell in November 2007. She was a member of the board of the New York Metropolitan Transportation Authority as well as vice president of a family-owned transportation conglomerate that includes New England Motor Freight. She resigned from the MTA board in January 2012. It was announced on 6 May 2011 that the two had become engaged. On 9 October 2011 McCartney and Shevell were married at Old Marylebone Town Hall where his first wedding took place in 1969. The couple attended Yom Kippur synagogue services prior to the wedding, out of respect for Shevell's Jewish faith, but did not seek a religious blessing for their union. Upon their marriage, Shevell became Lady McCartney. McCartney wrote the song "My Valentine", from his 2012 album Kisses on the Bottom, about Shevell. She is a cousin of broadcast journalist Barbara Walters.

"If it's all the sime to you... I'll droyve that tankah"   Max Rockatansky (The Road Warrior)

the company was, but the union would not give an inch and demanded more and more until they could not afford to stay open. if the union would have given concessions, they could have weathered the storm.

but nope, we want more money, more time off, newer trucks,  more everything. and the drivers did not care because they knew they were not getting more for doing less. so they tore the equipment up. 

the past 7 years or so the Elizabeth NJ terminal looked like a junk yard with all the tore up trucks and trailers in it. 

10 years ago it was a completely different story. the only time you saw trucks at the shop was for routine maintenance. 

when you are up to your armpits in alligators,

it is hard to remember you only came in to drain the swamp..

Oooooooooooo ok gotcha thanks still kinda sad to hear......,not surprised though I understand most of union reps think thier craft is still going strong...but from what I hear at least this side of the planet,,,if it wasn’t for UPS,,,they would be bankrupt....bob

If NEMF was still running R and U models that were last built 30 years ago, they've been in financial trouble for a long time. And union or not, regional carriers have had a tough time competing with the national and international mega carriers for the last few years, and many have gone under.

7 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

If NEMF was still running R and U models that were last built 30 years ago, they've been in financial trouble for a long time. And union or not, regional carriers have had a tough time competing with the national and international mega carriers for the last few years, and many have gone under.

give me a 30 year old r model any day over this new junk. I'm in a 2020 now and i told them to put me back in an older one.

1 hour ago, TS7 said:

Union LEADERSHIP greed that helped themselves, not members, has killed more union jobs than any other reason. Most if not all union leaders were members who spent most of there time looking for reasons to not work and still get paid, that is why they got into leadership roles. Good workers do not need a union, lazy workers do. I say this on Labor Day and am a 34+ year OEU member. By the way a 30+ year old Mack truck that has been maintained would be a money maker next to any 2019 junk on the road today. 

Can't argue with that logic about union leaders, lol. Makes sense!

And I agree wholeheartedly on the well maintained older trucks. But they're gone, so for one reason or another they weren't financially viable any more.

Don't you get it union members-Management is not kidding when they say they are going to close shop. They have been doing it for the last 50 years and they are good at it. They will take what is left of the assets and you are out of a job. Be reasonable with your requests (not demands). Live to fight another day.

• Like 2

give me a 30 year old r model any day over this new junk. I'm in a 2020 now and i told them to put me back in an older one.

I just recently did the same thing...but my boss told me to fly a kite...simply because we do tractor bidding over here and everything was already taken...now I’m stuck in this brand new kenworth I don’t like ,,,,bob