Down under Macks

• 4 months later...
47 minutes ago, mrsmackpaul said:

There was some DM on heavy haulage and oil field work out here 

They were Australian Macks

Paul

Were they built that way because of different drive side at the oil fields or just by mistake?:)

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

They were built that way because t he R 800 wasnt around yet and that was as good as Australia could do with what it had I would think

Also worth remembering that all R model and no doubt all other Macks built in Australia are based on LHD  and converted to RHD in Australian factory

Paul 

Edited by mrsmackpaul

because they were part of British empire they drive on the wrong side of the road, most of Europe and the rest of the world road drives on the right side of the road, the Brits could  not stand the idea of the colonists deciding on which side of the road we all would drive on and decided they were not going to be told how to drive, only British colonies drive on the wrong side and even some of them converted to the right side, when working with the Brits in Iraq they always bragged about inventing the wheel, I always reminded them we invented the rubber wheel and did not use stone, such a pissy bunch. As much as Canada loves Britain they went right, Bahamas I think is right, I know Ghana went right, little by little the British influence diminishes.    

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JoeH said:

That's be fun trying to convert a DM to RHD.... Not!

When the DM's were sold here they were sold as LHD and were converted to RHD later on in life

The cabs were shifted to the middle like a R800 and the steering wheel swapped across

How many of these were done ? Dunno 

Was it a neat conversion like a conventional R model or flinstone ? No

But they came up ok and would of been a lot better to drive out here on our roads 

Paul

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mrsmackpaul said:

Also worth remembering that all R model and no doubt all other Macks built in Australia are based on LHD  and converted to RHD in Australian factory

Paul 

Pretty interesting, thanks for sharing that Paul.

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

Vlad I have been told by someone that workedfor Mack Australia building Macks that there was templates made up that hung on the firewall etc to drill all corresponding holes for RHD

Even the heaters etc were cut and shut to still use the original Mack heaters but all conections were reversed 

Pedal hangers and brackets cover up all the LHD holes no longer needed 

You cant tell they have been modified at all until you disassemble them 

Paul 

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/1/2019 at 7:14 AM, mrsmackpaul said:

They were built that way because t he R 800 wasnt around yet and that was as good as Australia could do with what it had I would think

Paul 

The trucks are built currently at the Australian plant as RHD. Awhile back there were 5 RHD cabs for GUs sent to the Mod Center in Macungie to have the trucks converted to RHD.

The GUs were built online as LHD, then completely converted in the Mod Center using a combination of Australian and fabricated parts.

The last truck in Macungie that came off the assembly line was an RB.

A lot of the NewZealandacks came RHD from the US 

As to which plant they cam from I do not know

I wrongly assumed that RHD Macks in NZ would all of come from  Australia,  a lot did and a lot from the US and NZ made their own R and F model's as well

Unsure about South Africa and other RHD parts of the world that ran Macks

Paul