is it spring yet?

Ezrider

On 3/11/2019 at 6:57 AM, Rob said:

Haven't seen snow that good since the winter of 78-79 around here. "Vee" bladed plow trucks running the roads at 30+MPH really piled the snow  as they punched through and we had a blast out "tubing" the piles behind snowmobiles.

Dad remembers that winter quite well, as he shoveled a LOT of snow...by hand. My parents had a rather long driveway (garage at the back of the property) back then and dad had to keep it cleared so they could get out because my arrival into this world was quickly approaching. Mom sure as heck didn't want to be snowed in when I decided it was time...

When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

Snow phenomenon....It appears that if you get enough snow weight it bears down upon itself, compresses to the frozen ground and becomes a slush gasket nothing can flow through. Then when you add 51 degrees and a 2” rainstorm the water runs BACK at your house and follows the only path of earth that isn’t frozen because it’s tight against the warmed foundation, which is still permeable, and pools up despite the drain tile. 

Hope your having better luck EZ, it’s good you got snow. 

Didn't get quite so hot and rainy here in southwest MN but stuff I left in the yard last fall is starting to reappear. Before the rain started I opened up the culverts and punched some troughs through the snow piles so the rain and melt water would run away from the house and roads. Seems to have worked, basement is dry and my sheltered road and driveway didn't become a skating rink. The state highway wasn't so fortunate, the open area 200 yards from me got flash frozen when the rain changed to snow and winds came up this afternoon- The sane drivers have been keeping their speed down to 30 MPH or less.

3 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

Snow phenomenon....It appears that if you get enough snow weight it bears down upon itself, compresses to the frozen ground and becomes a slush gasket nothing can flow through. Then when you add 51 degrees and a 2” rainstorm the water runs BACK at your house and follows the only path of earth that isn’t frozen because it’s tight against the warmed foundation, which is still permeable, and pools up despite the drain tile. 

Hope your having better luck EZ, it’s good you got snow. 

so far we have had very little melting, we were supposed to get 9 inches of snow last night combined with highwinds so i hauled a few truck loads of snow out from the house yesterday to make some more room ended up kinda splitting around us we only got maybe an inch here but i94 is closed to the east. as much as i want to see the snow go away i hope we get a bit of a slow melt there is a good 2ft of snow pack on the ground. the snow gets cleared away from 2 sides of my house the other two sides have a pretty decent grade sloping away from the house we have not yet had any issues with getting water in the basement and we have had years with more snowpack than this year. 

a few pictures from a few years ago taken around Christmas time

Image may contain: snow and outdoor

Image may contain: snow, tree, plant, outdoor and nature

Image may contain: snow, tree, plant, car, table, outdoor and nature

i think i did see a day in the 40's in the forecast so far all we have gotten is a bit of melting threw the afternoon hours and then re-freezing at night. 

Edited by Ezrider

8 hours ago, Maxidyne said:

Didn't get quite so hot and rainy here in southwest MN but stuff I left in the yard last fall is starting to reappear. Before the rain started I opened up the culverts and punched some troughs through the snow piles so the rain and melt water would run away from the house and roads. Seems to have worked, basement is dry and my sheltered road and driveway didn't become a skating rink. The state highway wasn't so fortunate, the open area 200 yards from me got flash frozen when the rain changed to snow and winds came up this afternoon- The sane drivers have been keeping their speed down to 30 MPH or less.

Built a trough into the lawn's V-slope...……….January rain had filled it, snow kept it there and it froze level with ice.

I had a guy come in and epoxy coat my foundation when we built, so the only spot where there was no epoxy (pipe from garage drain into basement) leaked about a quart onto the floor. They V'ed the clay (toward the house) under the garage foundation to make the drains PVC run and backfilled with sand, making a permanent threat of backflow if the drain ever freezes shut....and it did.     

Well the snow has stopped here for awhile and this past week and a half has been really warm, uh ok above zero which I’ve seen many people in long sleeve T-shirt’s and light sweatshirts proclaiming how warm it is. Now that it’s warming up the frost is being driven down  and freezing our water and sewer pipes. Spring is almost here. 

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by the people who vote for a living.

The government can only "give" someone what they first take from another.

21 minutes ago, RowdyRebel said:

I put 100 miles on the motorcycle today.

😛

I thought about it seriously but worked in the shop instead. Need to replace the battery this year as is getting weak. 

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.