2004 Mack Vision CX613 $6000

Hello all, First post ever excited to get my Mack. I was referred to someone selling a 2004 Mack Vision CX613 for $6,000. A good friend of mine who is in the industry went with me to see and test drive the truck. Its been sitting for about a year but the test drive was very smooth and powerful I let my buddy drive since he's more experienced. It has 420,000 and my buddy recommended I change all 6 shocks and replace all 10 tires. Besides needing a good wash the brakes are still good and power steering hose was the only other thing I need to replace. Engine and Trans have been worked on not sure on exactly what though.

For the price $6000 is this truck worth getting to start out doing local runs Hazmat/Tankers?

VIN 1M1AE07Y74N017078

Thank you

IMG_3491.PNG

IMG_3489.jpg

IMG_3483.jpg

IMG_3488.jpg

IMG_3484.jpg

9 minutes ago, Mack Technician said:

If you don't have a lot of warning lights coming on.....buy it. Good if it is a local run. They aren't Macks finest by far, but there are still a bunch out there. At that price you can sell the tires and smelt it down for a cash return.

No warning lights came on when we drove it. I do need 10 tires though so thats $3k right there. Doing local runs only though.

You get your tires back if the truck flops, low risk. Universal consumable item. 

they did have heat issues. More just radiance of heat from the engine emissions package. Some trucks burst into flames right off the bat. They made some product improvement packages to help with heat. We had one melt to the ground before upgrades. Mack sent us a box full of vents and had us ventilate the hood on many. Just punch holes and add vents then paint locally. Needed to get airflow. They would get so hot the plastic started melting, split loom turned to drips, etc. Engines are harder to work on.

Turbo is so big it will occasionally break the exhaust studs due to weight bearing. They did try a stronger stud, but verify all studs are in place. 

No lightning bolt on dash? Make sure the bulb cycles illumination on key up. Sounds too good for $6K. 

Edited by Mack Technician

14 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

You get your tires back if the truck flops, low risk. Universal consumable item. 

they did have heat issues. More just radiance of heat from the engine emissions package. Some trucks burst into flames right off the bat. They made some product improvement packages to help with heat. We had one melt to the ground before upgrades. Mack sent us a box full of vents and had us ventilate the hood on many. Just punch holes and add vents then paint locally. Needed to get airflow. They would get so hot the plastic started melting, split loom turned to drips, etc. Engines are harder to work on.

Turbo is so big it will occasionally break the exhaust studs due to weight bearing. They did try a stronger stud, but verify all studs are in place. 

No lightning bolt on dash? Make sure the bulb cycles illumination on key up. Sounds too good for $6K. 

thanks for the reply. I will make sure there are no lights on or anything.

At least you won't be doing regens, several sets of injectors and cups, bull gears DEF injection issues like the red motors. Having seen what I've seen personally with the red engines. I'd take a 2004 ASET AC engine any day over a red motor. Even though I used to think that 2004 AC engines were the worst ever

Edited by Mackpro
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, james j neiweem said:

So it sounds like the most important thing to remember is not the year necessarily but weather the engine is  an AI e-tech or an AC e-tech

If you test drove two stock, unmodified,  trucks.........one AC, one AI, and you where not allowed to pop the hood, likely +95% of people would choose the AC. Better performance at the pedal, better economy, just a lotta emissions stuff under the hood (some of which can be eliminated). 

IMO- if I could drop a properly modified 2007 AI-427HP vocational engine into a new 2006 Rawhide chassis I’d lay down my wrenches.

Edited by Mack Technician

9 hours ago, Mack Technician said:

If you test drove two stock, unmodified,  trucks.........one AC, one AI, and you where not allowed to pop the hood, likely +95% of people would choose the AC. Better performance at the pedal, better economy, just a lotta emissions stuff under the hood (some of which can be eliminated). 

IMO- if I could drop a properly modified 2007 AI-427HP vocational engine into a new 2006 Rawhide chassis I’d lay down my wrenches.

How do I know which Engine I have?

2 minutes ago, Mackpro said:

All 2004 and up CH/CHN and CX/CXN have the ASET AC engine. The ASET AI is only in the 2004+ CV, MR and LE and very very few of the last R series. 

This Engine has been rebuilt thats the only reason why Im considering purchasing it.

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...