Getting hubs and rims painted....finally

Well, after quite some time I finally set up a day to get this started.  I found a local dustless blasting to come to the house and clean everything.  That worked pretty well.  Only problem was the weather turn to crap when he was almost done.  It quit enough for him to finish, then it drizzled for quite some time and that really put a damper on me getting the coatings applied.  I'm using KBS coatings.  You basically need to get 2 coats of sealer and one topcoat on within a day or you have to sand or re-etch.   So that really put me under the gun.  I gave up on doing the truck(since it was outside) and worked on the rims.  I got them coated and then opened my top coat color and realized it was WRONG!!!!!  UGH!   It was way too dark for my liking, I wanted it to be like the light grey sealer color.  I called my buddy and he is sending me the aluminum color instead, and if it is too light I can use the dark grey to tint it to my liking.  He is also sending me a spray can of etching primer so I don't have to sand(Ugh, I hate sanding...especially these rims with all the crevices).

I did get the front hubs coated and painted Monday night.  I then did the rear hubs last night.  Just waiting on my top coat and should have it back on its wheels this weekend.

In all the coatings worked fine.   How I did it...................NEVER AGAIN!!!!   Geez, what a back breaker hand painting all that with a 2" brush.  If you ask a painter, they hate mechanical work.   A mechanic....ya, not much for painting.  I should have sprayed it all, but didn't want to get into masking the rims.  I don't really have the room to do all that.  The hardest part with the coating was how thin it was.  It was a very, very fine line between coverage and running all over the freakin' place.  I had to keep rotating the wheels and hubs to keep the runs to a minimum.  I just don't have the patience for this kind of stuff.

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

Surprised you don't have the steer's on Budd style yet. Seems like we talked about that at South Bend?

Looks good from the photos. Got to get off my hindquarters and get something done in the shop besides cleaning but it's so damned enjoyable.....

Did my hubs on the B-673ST in Mack red as the truck will be green with black fenders. Come to think of it I've not run across those fenders yet. Wonder where they be?????

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

Budds would be fine but seems that axle is hens teeth.  Or converting my FA 517 over is not as simple?  This was a quick way to freshen them up.  Not persay the easiest??

I do have the hubs to convert the rears back over to Budd like when I bought the cut off.  I kept all that stuff.

Larry

There are differences between the FA-505, and the FA-517, (old style) but I thought it was just the spindles and king pins. I'll have to look at both series as I have both and see for certain. I'm thinking the bearings are the same but it's been quite some time since looking. Maybe the bearing surfaces don't match up? I'll look as I have both series of axles broken down in the shop. All I got to do is find the FA-505 as I wouldn't have parted with it having brakes. My 58 B-61ST doesn't so was going to roll it under that truck after rebuilding it complete.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

14 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Originally I figured the pin might be the same and just swap hubs from another axle.  Then heard it was not that easy.

It is not that easy. There is more caster in the FA-517 than the FA-505 which makes it a much better axle for "city" type P&D work. They tend to steer a bet better but sharper than the FA-505. The return to center is much stronger with the caster being greater. I don't remember if the axle beam is the same or not as never really measured it but it seems the FA-517 series king pin centerline, and inclination is narrower, and steeper but that's from fading memory. 

I got the rims all painted last night.   Ugh...what was I thinking?   This was the WORST idea I've come up with in a long time.  Should have paid someone to spray everything.  In all, they turned out okay.  Better then the crusty looking mess that it was.........but it was wayyy to daunting to do this with a brush.   I don't have the open space to mask and paint 6 truck rims or I might have considered that.  I'll be getting them put back on the truck this weekend, so I'll post pictures.

Larry

19 hours ago, Freightrain said:

I got the rims all painted last night.   Ugh...what was I thinking?   This was the WORST idea I've come up with in a long time.  

I am VERY disappointed at this piss poor attitude....

Especially since I was hoping you would stop over and paint several sets of hubs and Daytons at my place.  Beer would be provided but you bring the brushes.

Deal...?

• Haha 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

B model single axle tractor steer axle:

FA-505: Pivot center which is king pin centerline: 65"

King pin inclination which is referenced from a vertical plane: 8 degrees

Manual steering caster angle: 0 - 2 degrees positive

FA-517: Pivot center: 62.875"

King pin inclination: 7 degrees

Manual steering caster angle: 0 - 2 degrees positive

From the data above taken from a TS-442 series manual dated in 1967, it appears the FA-517 axle is a bit narrower in beam length and the spindles are different from the FA-505 series. Both use the same style king pin but measure different in sizes also. The FA-505, and FA-517 spindles are not directly interchangeable from the dimensions. 

Power steering trucks were equipped with increased positive caster angle to help "push" the front wheels straight and overcome the drag of the hydraulic system. These angles shown in the books are 4 - 6 degrees positive. Toe in is kept a constant between 1/8", and 3/16" no matter the axle.

I have a little "jig" I built up from an old spindle I set a rotating hub assembly onto and spin it while painting. I change out the bearings to fit the hub to be painted. Doesn't have to fit proper, just allow rotation. To paint rims I have a little roller conveyor section and rotate the rim while painting. The very center of the rim, (inside the tire beading area) bears upon these rollers so they are touched up with either a brush, or spray later once the wheel is dry.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Freightrain said:

Thanks Rob for the research and information.  Guess I'll be on the long road in search for an axle(with brakes).

Honestly if you don't mind the non mack  id consider going the route I did and switch to a modern front axle.  The only real fab work was the drag link from the steering box to the arm on the knuckle.    

Edited by Hobert62

Unfortunately I have air steering and I don't want to cut that link up to modify it.  Plus most other model axles are too wide.  I just don't care for the tires sticking outside the edge of the fender.  Like when guys put R model bumpers on them.  Just too wide.

Now that the rims are all painted up, I'm good for now.   The day the right axle comes into fruition, I'll do it.  Heck, I'd have to save up for 4 alum rims! (I have two steel wheels left over from the cut off when I bought it)

Larry

I forgot about your air steering setup.    My tires are in the fender when centered.    I totally agree with you about bumpers being to wide for the truck.   Mine came with a Pete bumper when I bought it, and it looked way out of place.   

image.thumb.jpg.340a1566637864a944274aa0b270f1e5.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.3d47cc228422d1dcd8106581a4d77114.jpg

Edited by Hobert62

trucks with fa517 and fa505 axles had different steering boxes also. i don't remember  the number off the top of my head but sg42 and sg43 or something of the like, i don't know the exact numbers i know mine came with a 505 and i put a 522 in and you can tell something is off but it drives straight. something is definitely different inside the boxes  and they look identical from the outside.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

On 5/19/2018 at 10:17 PM, Freightrain said:

All done.  Finally.  Glad I won't have to do this for another 40 yrs!!

Jim if you thing my attitude is bad now.....you should see me at work....lol!!

Thanks Rob for the research and information.  Guess I'll be on the long road in search for an axle(with brakes).

IMG_20180519_101411844_HDR.jpg

Powerful paint! It appears to have sucked all the paint off the bottom of the hood    :banana:

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE