I bought another B Mack

Yesterday I bought a B57, I was looking for another parts truck for my B53 but when I looked at it, it's to good to part out (and sorta rare ). The question I have is if anyone has seen a B57 or a B67 with a turbo. The engine is supposed to be worn out, and I have a good 673 with a turbo out of a B61 parts truck. Will it fit? Also will it run tipped on it's side?

I talked to Rob on here awhile back.    He has a b67 with factory turbo.   He sent me some pictures I'll try to find them, but I'm sure he will beat me to it.   Think he said it looks the same as the b61 setup just tighter.   

• Like 1

Ya I planned on taking the nose off just to look at the engine. I don't have the 57 home yet but I will look at the engine in the 61 in the morning. I am done with all I can do to my B53 until it gets out of the paint shop. I did notice that the B57 is alot like my 53. It has s cam brakes and spoke wheels, beam over suspension, power steering, a quad and an aluminum step fuel tank. The title says it is a 1966

Not familiar with the B57 but the B53 had a beam over a three leaf spring, would stay in line real good, but would break leaves constantly.  I ran one for a lot of years, always kept a spare spring in my garage.   terry:D

• Like 1

Yes. Unfortunately I spend more time in it than out.....

yes the B-67 has a "doghouse" in the cab. I've never had it off as haven't ever worked on the engine. Original straps are still in place also.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.

I was planning on bolting a deceptive plate of stainless or aluminum on the interior of mine.  Then mounting my CB to it.  However  its double walled and seems  hollow in between so bolting through it prob won't work.  

On 4/18/2018 at 5:01 PM, Rob said:

Couple photos of the exhaust on my B67:IMG_0353.JPG.b765a5fc77c6c14d20ed614a1f6cf4d8.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG.e6abe4bee53104b3311984324cc50e78.JPG

Trying to show the "lean" of the engine in the chassis. Don't forget how the firewall of the cab is modified from a standard B cab also:

IMG_0357.JPG.7d2f68ec47a705055f00fc953c3b83a8.JPGIMG_0358.JPG.4ad8e3dd5dba8bac29acc13bc4ba578a.JPG

The firewall modification is why the engine has to lean otherwise there would be no room for a driver's feet.

Ugh-that is a Luber-Finer right?  Why would they jam that under the hood?

On 4/19/2018 at 3:16 PM, Mike Stormo said:

I checked the turbo on the donor engine this morning and it looks like it might fit

I hope that turbo elbow hasn't been open like that---you don't want any debris or water getting into the turbo.

Dayton wobblers were a signature of the B53 and B57 trucks with the floatation tires on the straight beam Rockwell axle . be hard in my opinion to change them out when they looked great from the factory. B57 was basically an early version of a DM. same frame, same axles

Edited by Maddog13407
  • Like 1

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

My B53 has bud style wheels, I think I would like to make them the same. I am out west and there is no one that will, or knows how to change them.

It has a dog house and a fish belly frame, as far as I can tell all the same specs. as my B53 except for the short hood.

Can any body confirm that the front hubs would be the same as a DM and does anyone have a set they might sell.

I have a complete set or Mack rears on camel back springs with s cam brakes, that should make it ride better.

I think I am going to find a roll back bed for it and make a hauler, so a better ride would be important.

34K Camelback doesn't ride too bad empty but 38K and above are stiff unless loaded. With a bare steel rollback, or steel slideback bed with a subframe they will be a little softer, but still no pickup truck.

Going to be a challenge to round up parts to swap to Budd wheels. Need to remove a front hub, measure bearings, bearing surfaces, and spacing to obtain the correct style replacement hubs. Most of those axles used "Center Point" steering geometry which is different than standard. The spindles differ from standard.

There may be a reason that truck is out west and has Dayton hubs installed. In dump truck application and pit work they are stronger, (IMO) than the Budd style wheels as far as taking abuse. The newer unimount or hub pilot style have largely mitigated the broken mounting hole symptoms, but they have their own problems too; like not wanting to stay tight.

Dog.jpg.487f03da076af0150d2376dbd16843ed.jpgPlodding along with no job nor practical application for my existence, but still trying to fix what's broke.