Yesterday I bought a B57, I was looking for another parts truck for my B53 but when I looked at it, it's to good to part out (and sorta rare ). The question I have is if anyone has seen a B57 or a B67 with a turbo. The engine is supposed to be worn out, and I have a good 673 with a turbo out of a B61 parts truck. Will it fit? Also will it run tipped on it's side?

I talked to Rob on here awhile back.    He has a b67 with factory turbo.   He sent me some pictures I'll try to find them, but I'm sure he will beat me to it.   Think he said it looks the same as the b61 setup just tighter.   

• Like 1

Yup, B-673 were factory turbos. 

• Like 1

image.thumb.jpg.79273e31ab46873c4d00c56804b1dcf5.jpgimage.thumb.jpg.55b67433e7e36e21e1b432a46e07a0c5.jpg

I just posted a short video of it running yesterday.

Do you guys think that it uses the same exhaust manifold as a B61.

2 minutes ago, Mike Stormo said:

Do you guys think that it uses the same exhaust manifold as a B61.

It does not use the same exhaust manifold as the short nosed trucks have an different bend tothe manifold. I'm speaking from memory there but do have the fenders removed from mine so can get a clear shot. I'm pretty certain you would have a different turbocharger than the Switzer my truck has on it.

Now you think a B-53 is tight to work on.....

Ya I planned on taking the nose off just to look at the engine. I don't have the 57 home yet but I will look at the engine in the 61 in the morning. I am done with all I can do to my B53 until it gets out of the paint shop. I did notice that the B57 is alot like my 53. It has s cam brakes and spoke wheels, beam over suspension, power steering, a quad and an aluminum step fuel tank. The title says it is a 1966

Spoke, or Dayton style wheels in your area was not that commonplace on the steer axle. About 50/50 on the rears. S cam brakes are popular but parts to fit are scarce due to age and out of production. Sometimes you have to modify or rebuild to get good parts. I assume you mean "Hendrickson" rear suspension when you talk of "Beam over" suspension which is very heavy. Doesn't ride very well empty, but holds up well in dump truck work.

Not familiar with the B57 but the B53 had a beam over a three leaf spring, would stay in line real good, but would break leaves constantly.  I ran one for a lot of years, always kept a spare spring in my garage.   terry:D

• Like 1

2 hours ago, terry said:

Not familiar with the B57 but the B53 had a beam over a three leaf spring, would stay in line real good, but would break leaves constantly.  I ran one for a lot of years, always kept a spare spring in my garage.   terry:D

I've never seen this setup apparently. Used to be several B-53's around St. Louis, (mixer trucks) when building the Arch but I only remember Camellback, Hendrickson, and some Page & Page. That's been a few years though.....

Couple photos of the exhaust on my B67:IMG_0353.JPG.b765a5fc77c6c14d20ed614a1f6cf4d8.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG.e6abe4bee53104b3311984324cc50e78.JPG

Trying to show the "lean" of the engine in the chassis. Don't forget how the firewall of the cab is modified from a standard B cab also:

IMG_0357.JPG.7d2f68ec47a705055f00fc953c3b83a8.JPGIMG_0358.JPG.4ad8e3dd5dba8bac29acc13bc4ba578a.JPG

The firewall modification is why the engine has to lean otherwise there would be no room for a driver's feet.

has a doghouse right?    terry:D

Yes. Unfortunately I spend more time in it than out.....

yes the B-67 has a "doghouse" in the cab. I've never had it off as haven't ever worked on the engine. Original straps are still in place also.

Mine also has  original strap as far as I can tell.   The doghouse seams to be made out of some type of fiberglass.  

• Like 1

Mine seems to be something other than metal also.

I was planning on bolting a deceptive plate of stainless or aluminum on the interior of mine.  Then mounting my CB to it.  However  its double walled and seems  hollow in between so bolting through it prob won't work.  

True "Velcro" brand industrial hook and loop fasteners would hold to it. Clean the surface well with a cleaner, then wipe it a couple of times with denatured alcohol and wipe dry with a clean white terry towel. Do it twice with the alcohol and apply the Velcro strip to the area. It will take the heat of the cab if not in direct sunlight all the time and support a good deal of weight. I use the 2" wide variety for holding radios and such vertical.

• Like 1

I checked the turbo on the donor engine this morning and it looks like it might fit

IMG_20180419_104712.jpg

IMG_20180419_104720.jpg

IMG_20180419_104729.jpg

• Like 1

Your B-61 and mine appear to have the same turbocharger and exhaust manifold setups. I don't think it will go into a B-67 very well as the my B-67 exhaust outlet turns in more towards the center of the truck than the B-61 manifold does. Not saying you cannot make it work with some custom work or flex pipe, but it doesn't appear to be a "slip fit". I could be wrong as I've not tried it myself.

On 4/18/2018 at 5:01 PM, Rob said:

Couple photos of the exhaust on my B67:IMG_0353.JPG.b765a5fc77c6c14d20ed614a1f6cf4d8.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG.e6abe4bee53104b3311984324cc50e78.JPG

Trying to show the "lean" of the engine in the chassis. Don't forget how the firewall of the cab is modified from a standard B cab also:

IMG_0357.JPG.7d2f68ec47a705055f00fc953c3b83a8.JPGIMG_0358.JPG.4ad8e3dd5dba8bac29acc13bc4ba578a.JPG

The firewall modification is why the engine has to lean otherwise there would be no room for a driver's feet.

Ugh-that is a Luber-Finer right?  Why would they jam that under the hood?

I think that's the power steering reservoir

Yes, LuberFiner and it's a full flow type so has large hoses in the bottom. Tight for certain.

Here is a photo of the "Velcro" I use:

20180420_160412_resized.jpg