Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
66dc75

Big guns moving

Recommended Posts

yes thanks for sharing.... aslo .DM 800    is one of my favorites...bob

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Matt Pfahl (not sure if he is on here?) had a big hand in moving them and posted some pictures on his facebook page. A big A-Car tractor was the power. 

And on a local note, the main castings for the 16" 50 Caliber Mark 7 guns were made not 5 miles from where I am typing this at Bethlehem Steel's Bethlehem, Pa. plant. As was most of the plate steel and the armor plating for all of the Iowa-Class BB's 

The USS Oklahoma BB-37 main gun is on display at the Bethlehem Steel Plant

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Globalists see no need for any of this weaponry .... "don't we all bleed red?"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We've come a long ways.............

.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aberdeen Proving Ground, dammit. There is no "S" in "Ground." 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Had an opportunity to see16 inch guns fired at Dahlgren, Va. In 1968/69.  Those shells weigh over a ton, and they travel 20 to 23 miles down range, ACCURATELY!  Very impressive.  The New Jersey worked on the little people with them.   Also witnessed 20 mm Vulcan cannon unleash.  Sounds like a train locomotive running wild, or as my friends and I remarked, VICTORY!! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, steelman said:

Had an opportunity to see16 inch guns fired at Dahlgren, Va. In 1968/69.  Those shells weigh over a ton, and they travel 20 to 23 miles down range, ACCURATELY!  Very impressive.  The New Jersey worked on the little people with them.   Also witnessed 20 mm Vulcan cannon unleash.  Sounds like a train locomotive running wild, or as my friends and I remarked, VICTORY!! 

Seen one of the first AC130 gun ship on a night run in Vietnam do a pylon turn locked on with the Xeon light all 4 miniguns and 4 Vulcans all firing at once. There was nothing left of the ground personnel but rags.  It's now on display at Elgin Air Force base in Florida.

Edited by 41chevy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those gunships are kind of like a giant rototiller on steroids.  They tell me the wart hogs are now the ground pounders best friend.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Dahlgren.....off 301 on the river?

Always wondered what took place there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, kscarbel2 said:

Dahlgren.....off 301 on the river?

Always wondered what took place there.

They test fired guns there, parts of the Potomac River were off limits just south /east of the Harry Nice Bridge (301) between Maryland and Virginia. I did a project there in 2013 and there were still many large guns setting around on cribbing throughout the base. As for what takes place there now, many buildings are very secure and the missions are classified. They are keeping us safe!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't mean to sound stupid, but if these guns are off the USS New Jersey, what guns are on the USS New Jersey?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is the giant Hammerhead crane at the PNSY, which was used to lift and install the gun turrets into the BB's during construction. Was torn down while I was there as a civilian firefighter. Was not allowed to take pictures, but a smaller crane lifted a skid steer with a concrete pecker up into the cab to break apart the concrete counterweight. 

PNSY Hammerhead Crane.jpg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some pictures I took of the USS Iowa BB-61 and the USS Forrestal CV-59 tied up on the "Battleship Quaywall" on the Delaware River at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard when I was a civilian firefighter there. I think I took these in the spring of 1997, by then the PNSY had been pretty much shut down and the ships there are under NISMF (Naval Inactive Ships Maintenance Facility.) Had I been caught with a camera in some of these areas when the PNSY was in full production I would not be here. Most of these were waiting for disposal but a few were part of the ready reserve force (could be activated, steam in the kettle ready to turn screws) within 96 hours. 
5a8cdbac7a19a_PNSY11.jpg.8de8c3f05c0db524295bcffb70b0a55c.jpg5a8cdbad23281_PNSY12.jpg.6ad499c7900605dc9a0103a8edfd4da7.jpg5a8cdbadca943_PNSY13.jpg.8a34639247f1ae9ad67533b69393ebfd.jpg5a8cdbae8185e_PNSY14.jpg.59c52c80dbc54758f8f1bcc8dbe61ac1.jpg5a8cdbaf86c0d_PNSY25.jpg.34c31c6d96e73b55ff217ddd6dab514b.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Iowa-Class BB's were almost as long as Forrestal-Class CVA's 
5a8cddb6eb151_PNSY19.jpg.edf2b64d1316845627d017099ddfdffd.jpg5a8cddb7a3a37_PNSY23.jpg.542dd5cb068f81a39a62703387ae304f.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2018 at 11:46 PM, steelman said:

Those gunships are kind of like a giant rototiller on steroids.  They tell me the wart hogs are now the ground pounders best friend.  

This was one of the first ones,  no 105 and analog fire computers. we had AC130's, AC47's and AC119 Boxcars. On a pylon turn the 47 could put 3 round in each square foot of ground. The newest AC130's I'm told are 5 times more deadly than ours in 1971.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That was one hell of a crane!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 1958 F.W.D. said:

Some pictures I took of the USS Iowa BB-61 and the USS Forrestal CV-59 tied up on the "Battleship Quaywall" on the Delaware River at the Philadelphia Naval Shipyard when I was a civilian firefighter there. I think I took these in the spring of 1997, by then the PNSY had been pretty much shut down and the ships there are under NISMF (Naval Inactive Ships Maintenance Facility.) Had I been caught with a camera in some of these areas when the PNSY was in full production I would not be here. Most of these were waiting for disposal but a few were part of the ready reserve force (could be activated, steam in the kettle ready to turn screws) within 96 hours. 
 

I often wondered how the Jersey, Iowa or Missuri would has faired in a one on one against the Musahsi, or Yamato

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, 41chevy said:

I often wondered how the Jersey, Iowa or Missuri would has faired in a one on one against the Musahsi, or Yamato

I might be mistaken, but I believe the Yamato carried 20" guns.  It would have been one hell of a fight.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

Welcome to BMT!

...The world's best antique, classic & modern Mack Truck support forum! Founded in 2000, BigMackTrucks.com is the place to go for everything related to Mack Trucks!

BMT!

BigMackTrucks.com is owned and operated by Watt's Truck Center, New Alexandria, PA. This forum and it's contents are not affiliated with Mack Trucks, Inc. or Volvo Trucks North America.

×