Mack ENDDT 865 V8 Maxidyne Engine

Here is an interesting 1970 brochure for a derated 865 Maxidyne.  Instead of 325 HP, you got 285 HP.  Don't know how many units were installed.  It seems to retain the same "95" engine identifier as does the 325 version.  So, a U-795 might have either HP rating.  Checking the engine tag would confirm.

I am thinking that the ENDDT 865 might have been done by 1974.  The 6 cylinder Maxidyne ENDT 676 was introduced in 1973 with 285 HP so it was probably regarded as being redundant to have a 285 HP V8 with similar torque ratings.

ENDDT 865 - Copy.jpg

• Like 1

Jim

It doesn't cost anything to pay attention.

I would agree the introduction of the ENDT676,probably meant goodbye for the derated V-8. Must be a misprint in C.I.D. department though. They have as 672 cubes. Should  read 865 ( ?).  Al

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

8 hours ago, j hancock said:

Ha!  You caught it.

The displacement is listed as 866 in the upper right corner of the dyno sheet.

And you caught THAT,Jim! Ha-ha! Al   (couldn't  remember  the cubes of the 865 off hand......I'll go to the doghouse  for the night)

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

I'll have to check that out on my Brother U795. Most the 865/866 engines had 27 degrees injection timing but his has a factory setting of 31 degrees injection timing and man can you tell.That thing is like a fire ball! I know the in one of our overhaul manuals is shows that a limited number of 865s had the 31 degrees timing but only in the first few years. Josh

• 1 month later...