RW Air Ride Assist on Front Axel

AZB755V8

I have not seen anyone doing this here at BMT but it worked out really well for me. I needed a little more clearance for Floats on the front of the Superliner for fender clearance. I have Australian fender flairs on it and they decrease the fender opening about an inch all around. First was tiring to find springs to increase the height about 2 1/2 inches or so and not just add a block that would not give me more suspension travel. Or extra leaves that would make it "ride like a Mack truck" even more so. Ether way it was the dollars that it would cost to do the work. Most spring shops said that they had to have the truck to even start with. There are no spring shops in Arizona that would even consider doing what I wanted. This is what I came up with for a few hundred $$  The ride height can be adjusted from side to side if separate air is supplied to each, nice to get the front end perfectly level. I did see the systems offered for around $1000 but none were for a RW that I saw. This cost $180 for the bags, $14 for steel and bolts, $20 for air fittings and hose, $4 for paint, 3 hours time to do 5 with the beer break...

I need to make a shim and add a little clearance for the draglink bolt.IMG_2017.thumb.JPG.0b9e3750b309ae096134a47659b15688.JPG

IMG_2016.thumb.JPG.c120a3f74fd38a257b360fad28dcf229.JPGIMG_2013.thumb.JPG.5b287b4faa3a51c5728b335ef85b883c.JPGIMG_2017.thumb.JPG.a6b1929d45e9299706808ea280686758.JPG

Edited by AZB755V8
add details
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Hobert62 said:

Is it going to take longer shocks?  

No there is still about 2-3 inches of travel on the the shocks that were on it. The air bags are rated for around 3200 pounds each and only help the leaf spring. This raises the height about 2 1/2 with 110 lbs of air. There is a lot of difference in front end height if you look at different Superliners. There is more than one shock length made for the RW but these ones work fine. You can see the difference in height on the shock paint in the photos. There was no adjustment in the steering linkage to center the steering wheel ether.

Edited by AZB755V8
add content

4 hours ago, Lmackattack said:

Looks like it will do what you need. Is the 110psi is needed to hold it up or will 50psi do the trick?

Any pressure will take a percentage of the load off the leaf springs. The more pressure raises the ride height  Or if a load was on compensate for the reduced loaded hight. I am using the 110psi to get a ride height to clear the fender flares. It  can works like rear airride, the more air the more load you can put on and maintain a ride height. Just thinking a ride height valve can be used on the front axle like on the rear to self level.:thumb:

Except getting out of stock configuration of a classic truck I like the idea.

A friend of mine rebuilt factory air suspension of his 1967 Mercedes-600 car with such airbags. Had to rifle through the chart with load ratings and travel limits to locate sutable bags. And ain't Volvo VLX (or so) has such setup as a factory front suspension?

Никогда не бывает слишком много грузовиков! leversole 11.2012

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2017 at 7:16 PM, AZB755V8 said:

No there is still about 2-3 inches of travel on the the shocks that were on it. The air bags are rated for around 3200 pounds each and only help the leaf spring. This raises the height about 2 1/2 with 110 lbs of air. There is a lot of difference in front end height if you look at different Superliners. There is more than one shock length made for the RW but these ones work fine. You can see the difference in height on the shock paint in the photos. There was no adjustment in the steering linkage to center the steering wheel ether.

That looks like a job very well done! But you don't want to ever run over 100psi in an air bag. That's when they burst from a sudden shock. You may need a bigger bag to be able to bring the pressure down some. But that setup looks awesome!

• Like 1

There was a fellow on here years back that did this with a B model.  Bill?  Dave?  Had a silver B67.  I had thoughts of doing the same, but never got around to it.  I could take a few leafs out and install the bag to hold the truck up.  I'm sure it would help drastically with the ride quality of the front end of a B model.

Donvel was a brand I recall.\

Edit:  It was Dale Hamilton

Edited by Freightrain
  • Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

When I switched my front axle I took the bottom 3 short leafs out on each side to get the ride height I wanted.    Its a noticeable diffrence in the ride and I think the longest leaf was about 9".   It helped take the bang out of each bump

Just have to watch, as when I cut my rear leaf stack down, after about 6-7 yrs the main leaf broke from "excessive movement" that it was not typically used to.  50 yr old brittle springs.   I had to have new leafs made, which wasn't really expensive.  Not an issue now with the air ride.  I had the main leaf replaced on my LF spring pack a few years back.  The clamps were coming loose and the springs were not flat anymore.  They remade the main leaf(no longer available) and reclamped the pack.  

• Like 1

IMG-20180116-202556-655.jpg

Larry

1959 B61 Liv'n Large......................

Charter member of the "MACK PACK"

• 3 years later...