Volvo/Mack Chicago training center

Mack Technician

On ‎11‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 7:09 PM, Dirtymilkman said:

Keep the updates coming. I love it. I don't understand the camshaft deal? Looking for weight savings? More durable?

Weight and savings. Unbelievable LIGHT!

I have a pic my co worker took of me arm curling it with one arm at chest height (some grunting involved). If anyone told me they would build a 13 liter cam this old man could arm curl I'd have called them nuts. Unfortunately I cannot add more pics, there must be a cap on how many pics you can put on a post?

They added a 120 pound compounder down stream of the turbo output. We won't see it on the off road machines. They cut and trimmed to keep the engine weight from increasing (multiplier). Once again emissions robs the gains of engineering.

The instructor says this engine is likely the last step of diesel power we will see.  

Edited by Mack Technician

11 minutes ago, theakerstwo said:

Last steps of diesel now that is sad.But i believe it.

CNG and battery power is entering stage right.

Who really wants a truck that makes no sound.........O'school truckers will be suffering from sensory deprivation and fall asleep at the wheel out of boredom with the new machine :D.       

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mack Technician said:

The instructor says this engine is likely the last step of diesel power we will see. 

Diesel will still be here in 50 years. there are applications electric just will not be practical in.

The method for doing the cams is a aero space process. The normal cams are forged and than machined / centerless ground. Volvo /MACK set up is a tube most likely molly based steel, the lobs are formed as a stick , machines and sliced off. The "swege" process is actually called Cryo-Fitting . The cam lobes are chilled in liquid nitrogen and placed in position on the tube.They will not move when they reach air temp. The assembly is than heat treated and final finished on lobes and bearing journals. Been used in Top Fuel engines for 3 to 4 years and they survive 9000 h.p. 97% nitro methane. The cams are lighter, have more torsional "give" and less rotating mass = less wear and spool up faster.  Paul

As for keeping the driver alert. . . .electro shock seats             

tenor.gif.9c031d32bb781db2aac6d81c30c2ad3f.gif

Edited by 41chevy
  • Haha 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

Keep your pockets sewn up while your here Mack Techniician,Illinois needs the money!  Keep clicking  your  heels  together and  repeat "there's no place like home"!  Lol!  Al  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

IF YOU BOUGHT IT, A TRUCK BROUGHT IT..AND WHEN YOU'RE DONE WITH IT, A TRUCK WILL HAUL IT AWAY!!! Big John Trimble,WRVA

To paraphrase " the demise of the internal combustion engine is greatly exaggerated". Same thing happening in the car end and right truck end of the auto industry where I am. Constant advances in the good old internal composition tech will keep them viable foe many years to come. However there are so many interest groups often funded by tax payer money trying to undermine it to make alternatives  seem more viable future powertrain

• Like 2

The fuel rail design raised a few heckles. Whole rail system is mounted under the valve cover. Makes for a nice clean engine, but a bit of a plumbing cluster under the cover. Other issue is any leaking goes right to sump. Advantage is no element exposure. Lines get replaced after every removal. 

The instructor was debating diagnostics on the internal rail system. He didn't deny upfront the potential of top deck leakage (or that it is being experienced in machines in the field). He mentioned a tooled cover built with an inspection window that allows you to see a leak and not be exposed to high pressure streaming.  

I went to the Atlanta school on the common rail engine last year and not much was known on it at the time. I think we were the first or second class ever. Yep hollow cam and no more balancer on the end of it. A few tech bulletins in CBR on checking for leaks under the valve cover. I haven't read them but I wonder if the $10,000 smoke machine that Mack sent all the dealerships is used. The only thing I dont like about the common rail engine is that the AHI module is made into the fuel filter stand. Better change your air drier filters! I been to the Chicago school a few time back 10 years ago. We get the choice of going to Atlanta or Chicago for school but since we only go in the winter , we head south. Heard stories of twisted cams on the new engine but it was on test trucks in Europe and was fixed before they got over here. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Jamaican Bulldog said:

To paraphrase " the demise of the internal combustion engine is greatly exaggerated". Same thing happening in the car end and right truck end of the auto industry where I am. Constant advances in the good old internal composition tech will keep them viable foe many years to come. However there are so many interest groups often funded by tax payer money trying to undermine it to make alternatives  seem more viable future powertrain

Day two stuff......I pressed the subject a bit and asked the instructor to back up.

Volvo/Mack has hit 95% emissions efficiency. Engineering believes it will be unable to satisfy another tier. They are to the point in engine building where this line has become a race engine that is virtually unable to be improved or manipulated for improvement. Engine is going to be a "Standard" condition engine. You will not be machining this engine. No bore cuts, no plane cuts, no align boring. They hit terminal on the emissions and hit terminal on certain lathe serviceability too.  

- Volvo will continue to ship engine components to USA for machining into service at Hagerstown. Cannot do casting of engine parts stateside due to EPA.

- They will keep the 7th injector instead of injecting on exhaust stroke like Cummins is going to.

- Buy all the warranty you can get. A major failure of turbo can down your emission/exhaust system (any engine OEM). Think $25K max damage.

-  Turbo compounder is back feeding 50 horse into engine through two additional gears in the rear timing gear train.

- New head is going to be reverse compatible to old engine despite harness differences.

- Cam is hollow, but can take it. Less unit pump injector action (due to high rail) has taken the stress out of cam action which means less stress, vibration and no harmonic balancer.

-New cam design means that, for the first time, they have an exact hardness match on lobe and follower. No sacrificial metal on one or the other as in past.

- really nice video mechanic website for DIY mechanics..... www.volvotrainingsupport.com

- Frank Russian has a system for setting dowels/ plate/ timing lash accurately in 4-5 minutes for someone doing it for the first time.

• Like 1

If this is accurate......tisk..tisk...tisk Volvo.

Volvo/ Mack will be shutting out (not shutting down) Emedia. Everyone will have access to the old information. They will put the info cut-line at post 2016. They will only be including information they have to legally present in open books, namely certain emissions system information. I'm going to save my rant, I did it on last weeks post, all ranted out on intellectual property warfare.

Ok, one more rant.....

There are two business models running parallel in our country. The European business model and OURS. The European model is about to come to complete fruition right before your eyes. Get ready to be injected with ignorance unless you are a dealership. No angst against BMT dealership mechanics, you guys are the new Robin Hoods of Mack Trucks.       

23 hours ago, 41chevy said:

Diesel will still be here in 50 years. there are applications electric just will not be practical in.

The method for doing the cams is a aero space process. The normal cams are forged and than machined / centerless ground. Volvo /MACK set up is a tube most likely molly based steel, the lobs are formed as a stick , machines and sliced off. The "swege" process is actually called Cryo-Fitting . The cam lobes are chilled in liquid nitrogen and placed in position on the tube.They will not move when they reach air temp. The assembly is than heat treated and final finished on lobes and bearing journals. Been used in Top Fuel engines for 3 to 4 years and they survive 9000 h.p. 97% nitro methane. The cams are lighter, have more torsional "give" and less rotating mass = less wear and spool up faster.  Paul

As for keeping the driver alert. . . .electro shock seats             

tenor.gif.9c031d32bb781db2aac6d81c30c2ad3f.gif

Per group discussions....

Predictions are no practicality for long haul. Battery power behind heavy loading is mixed. Long grades create unmanageable heat. Locomotives are pulling diesel over electric drivetrain, but also never seeing more than a %5 grade...so heat generation in drive system never hits terminal overheat.

Alternative power is trending toward sprint vans. Looking at practicality of smaller transports that may haul less on shorter runs, but can be fit with a lower skill set, uber-style, driver that does not have the paid qualifications of CDL driver. Tesla has a 800 mile charge (Though KS is only seeing 500 in his articles...not sure what truck these guys are talking about going 800?).

Per group discussions....

Predictions are no practicality for long haul. Battery power behind heavy loading is mixed. Long grades create unmanageable heat. Locomotives are pulling diesel over electric drivetrain, but also never seeing more than a %5 grade...so heat generation in drive system never hits terminal overheat.

Alternative power is trending toward sprint vans. Looking at practicality of smaller transports that may haul less on shorter runs, but can be fit with a lower skill set, uber-style, driver that does not have the paid qualifications of CDL driver. Tesla has a 800 mile charge (Though KS is only seeing 500 in his articles...not sure what truck these guys are talking about going 800?).

Musk states a 30 minute charge =400 miles.  We'll see as he is going to run some from his factory in Cali to his other factory in Nevada, 220 each way with Donner Pass thrown in.

Edited by 41chevy

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

On 11/28/2017 at 12:09 PM, Dirtymilkman said:

I don't understand the camshaft deal? 

I'm surprised they haven't gone Camless...& Actuate the valves By Solenoid..

But as Swishy  is wont to say..

Waddaeyekno...

"Be who you are and say what you feel...
Because those that matter...
don't mind...
And those that mind....
don't matter." -