Pennsylvania Magnum's way back in the day

I was just catching up on the forum and there are several update's to posts involving Superliners & Magnum's which go me to remembering...  Back in 1991 & 1992 I was running back and forth across I-80 in PA about 3 trips a week in a new CH613. Our fleet was set to run 65 on the pedal & 60 on cruise so my right foot always rested on the pedal flat on the floor. Now remember back then the speed limit was still just 55.  So on several different nights as I'd be trucking east I'd begin to notice a set of headlights gaining on me. They'd come up on me much faster than I ever thought they could by the 3rd or 4th time one of them did it to me I had gotten use to the loud rumble that I'd start to hear & feel as they got beside my trailer then blow my doors off!  There were at least 2 Magnum's that pulled dump buckets. One a Superliner and the other an Ultraliner and they both (maybe more than just 2) were always flat out gettin' it.  So I'm posing the question to those of you from that part of the country.  Any of you ever encounter these guys or know who they might be (have been)?

A pic of the Dog I was driving then:

1991 Mack CH613.jpg

We had an '85 Superliner 350 with a 12spd. That would easily hit 100mph pulling a tanker. But when the back window explodes going that speed, you gotta clean out your shorts. Put full fenders on after that. But that was one of the trucks, as you were driving down the interstate you'd look down and you're doing 80. 

If anyone was ever passed by a can hauler my uncle had a fleet of V8 superliners pulling doubles. They were well known to be fast trucks back in the day. I borrowed this pic from Google images because most pics we had burned in a house fire. My apologies if I stole anyone's images.

download.jpeg

2 hours ago, alex g said:

If anyone was ever passed by a can hauler my uncle had a fleet of V8 superliners pulling doubles. They were well known to be fast trucks back in the day. I borrowed this pic from Google images because most pics we had burned in a house fire. My apologies if I stole anyone's images.

download.jpeg

Your trucks.    Your pictures in my mind.  

8 hours ago, Terry T said:

I was just catching up on the forum and there are several update's to posts involving Superliners & Magnum's which go me to remembering...  Back in 1991 & 1992 I was running back and forth across I-80 in PA about 3 trips a week in a new CH613. Our fleet was set to run 65 on the pedal & 60 on cruise so my right foot always rested on the pedal flat on the floor. Now remember back then the speed limit was still just 55.  So on several different nights as I'd be trucking east I'd begin to notice a set of headlights gaining on me. They'd come up on me much faster than I ever thought they could by the 3rd or 4th time one of them did it to me I had gotten use to the loud rumble that I'd start to hear & feel as they got beside my trailer then blow my doors off!  There were at least 2 Magnum's that pulled dump buckets. One a Superliner and the other an Ultraliner and they both (maybe more than just 2) were always flat out gettin' it.  So I'm posing the question to those of you from that part of the country.  Any of you ever encounter these guys or know who they might be (have been)?

1991 Mack CH613.jpg

terry     there were 4 black macks that pulled dump trailers  hauled salt out of a town just south of rochester ny around the time you are talking about maybe it was one or more of those guys .usually running together and haulin a$$

• Like 1

Charlie

That town just south of Rochester was Restoff NY. It and South Lansing NY, just north of Ithaca, were (and maybe still are) the largest producers of Rock Salt in the northeast. I know that the Cayuga Rock Salt mine went over 3000 feet BELOW Cayuga Lake.

Brocky

On 11/11/2017 at 9:34 AM, Terry T said:

1991 Mack CH613.jpg

I remember seeing a Magnum Superliner pulling a dump once in a while back when when I was a kid riding with Dad in his Superliner on I 80 when we would be getting on from I 79. It was a day cab from what I remember. Dad told me that he used to see it and a Ultraliner Magnum pulling a dump as well. I don't know who's they were but I know which ones your talking about. My Cousins and Great Uncle always hauled steel with there 4 Magnums across I 80 and up and down I 79.

Josh

• Like 1