Hello everyone,

I live in Idaho. One of my hobbies is salvaging vintage truck parts when I can find them. I have just found a 1940 2 ton or 2 1/2 ton Mack truck that I can get parts off of. It is mostly just the drive train and the cab. It still has it's engine transmission and rear end. The front fenders are there. This was turned into a crane truck or wreaker. It has a second strange transmission behind the cab. The second one has a transfer case married up to it. It looks vintage. The bottom of the transfer case is totally flat and has a bolt on cover.  Usually they are solid, with a plate on the side some where. I could not see any marking on it due to grease and modified mountings block the information. Anything on this truck worth my time to pull off and sell?

I will have to go back. I did not think about scrapping the paint off the data plate to check the model. I was planning on making the trip back and pulling what ever parts than said Mack on them. Just was hoping to get some feedback on what would be best to pull before it gets chopped up for scrap.

The " second strange transmission behind the cab" sounds interesting. Some pictures would be very helpful to know what it might be.  It is probably not Mack built, but may be worth saving. At least see if there is an ID tag on it.

I know what you mean. I have seen a lot of transmissions and transfer cases. All the transfer cases, until now, don't have access plates on the bottom. I am thinking maybe military. There was a hint of olive drag paint. The plate looked like it was 6" wide and about 12" to 14" long.

Edited by idahosalvage

I found out what the model is, it is a Model EES. I will try and attach some pictures. First time so don't expect much. I have several more pictures. Did Mack use White rear ends? That is what this one has. The picture of a transfer case is the one attached to the second transmission. I also have the data plates.

DSCF2902.JPG

DSCF2896.JPG

• Like 1

Model EE      In Production  1938-1950            Total made  9,719

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

The picture of the "transfer case" does not help me to identify it.   A transfer case is used with four wheel drive, which this truck is not.  I suspect the transfer case may have been used as a multi speed PTO.  Was either of these transmissions used to power the winch? Was there more than one winch, or more than one PTO? Interesting. How is the second transmission driven by the main transmission? A shaft?

They sell it by the pound. 30 cents a pound. I got them to bring the truck down yesterday. Sorry to say, they put the truck back up to where it was in the pictures. I had pulled some parts but went back to pull the second tranny today. They said they would not bring it back down unless I bought the whole truck. So there it stays. At least I got some parts.