B Model with a Cummins

I saw a B-87 the other day with a Supercharged Cummins. At first, I didn't believe what I was seeing but sure enough there it was. So I did a little internet searching and found that they did make such an engine. One article refered to this as an "Iron Lung Cummins". What is the opinion of this motor? Good runner, bad runner, or run like H*** away from this one.

Thanks,

Doug

12 hours ago, need4steam said:

I saw a B-87 the other day with a Supercharged Cummins. At first, I didn't believe what I was seeing but sure enough there it was. So I did a little internet searching and found that they did make such an engine. One article refered to this as an "Iron Lung Cummins". What is the opinion of this motor? Good runner, bad runner, or run like H*** away from this one.

Thanks,

Doug

that is a rare motor  they were the big horses of their day 280 to 335 hp 743 cubic inch ran really good if you knew how to drive them   would like to find one in good shape myself

DSCN1022.JPG

Edited by carlotpilot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BillyT said:

There was a B model hauling steel around Pittsburgh pa with a 318 Detroit in the 70s musta been a tight fit! Had the unmistakable skinny twin stacks!

I think late 60's and early 70's you get get a 318 in them, have seen one before.     terry:D my bad  i thought it said R model yes a b would be pretty tight!

Edited by terry

Dave Strickland of Cana VA has at least one B model with the "Iron Lung" Cummins in it.. Thinking it has an L cab???  He has had it to many Shows in the area possibly even ATHS York PA in 2015...

Brocky

There was a b71 advertised on this web site recently. It had a noticeable longer hood and a 220 Cummins diesel which was the natural aspirated version of the supercharged engine. These engines were popular here in the west. It made a huge difference on grades like E. bound Donner summit with 7000 feet of adverse grade with 275 hp. and 300 hp. vs. 170 + for a Mack in the late 40's and early 50's. Cummins engine were spec.  in B models mostly with the L cabs and were used almost exclusive by the LT models with a few using a Hall Scott in the early years.

On 7/3/2017 at 9:37 AM, need4steam said:

Thanks,

Doug

Rare truck, Where did you see it?