B model, power steering fluid question.

I replaced all my power steering hoses, and cleaned out the reservoir on my 64. The fluid was red when I dumped it out. I've heard of guys running atf for power steering fluid. Can this be done on this truck or is there something more specific that I should be looking for?

My B and R both use the same oil as in the crankcase. Remember ATF has additives to induce friction so the clutch packs and bands work on an automatic Kind of a no no one a P.S. system.You really feel the need to be specific,  run Power Steering oil in it

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

4 hours ago, j hancock said:

Is the power steering system the old B style with the pump off the back off the generator?

I looked at a Mack B operation manual and it list for hydraulic P/S to use Type "A" Suffix "A" automatic transmission fluid.  I agree that there is probably way more friction additive in the ATF now than there was in ATF 53 years ago.

On later rigs with the PS steering pump on the back of the compressor, it runs engine oil.

Another vote for P/S fluid if it is the early stand alone set up.

Type A was pre  Dexron.. I've never seen plain Type A  any more.  Go to Napa and look for "Type FA" fluid. It comes in a black bottle with a black cap.   . Type F and A , are so similar they are basically the same, just like Dexron/Mercon. Hence the "Type FA."

Edited by 41chevy
  • Like 1

"OPERTUNITY IS MISSED BY MOST PEOPLE BECAUSE IT IS DRESSED IN OVERALLS AND LOOKS LIKE WORK"  Thomas Edison

“Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting ‘Holy shit, what a ride!’

P.T.CHESHIRE

I put a power steering system om my B when I first put it together with the pump off the back of the ac compressor. the scrap truck I took it off had atf in it and the belts were loose. when I put it on mine and put atf in it it was all over the road like an olf Ford with a twin I beam front end. ended up takin the Shepard box out and putting the regular arm strong back in. probably should have flushed the system and tries some 15 40. doesn't really steer that bad with the 522 front axle but I have jockeyed a few trailers around with it that will make you curse.

post-6-0-64947600-1408238925_thumb.jpg

I have a Garrison unit that runs off of the generator also. The manual says to use motor oil of varying viscosity depending on the temp. When  I had the steering assist cylinder rebuilt last fall I asked about which fluid. The shop guy said it didn't matter which between ATF, hydraulic oil, PS fluid or motor oil as long as it is non foaming. I use 15/40 Rotella which seems to work fine once all the air is purged.

• Like 1