Good news: The 'lectric fence works!

RowdyRebel

We have kayaks and go in local creeks and the river around here.    After a few hour float I was helping my sister load boats.   I had one end walking backwards and she had the other.   I backed into the fence and she kept pushing.     Guess it was payback for tying her up and throwing snow balls at her when we where kids.    

• Like 1

4 hours ago, General Ike said:

Rowdy... dude you have no idea how lucky you are.  That easily could have sent you into cardiac arrest.  The locking up of every muscle in your body could include your heart.  Glad the only residual is a sore chest.

Wouldn't surprise me if it did jolt the ol' ticker...sure hurt like a sumbitch inside. Only touched an electric fence one other time out where we previously kept the horses...wasn't thinking & rested my hand on the wire while standing. Got my attention, but other than my hand where I touched it & maybe a little up my arm, no big deal. This one rocked me through my core...don't know if the voltage is higher on this system or if it's just stronger because it's a shorted fence line. I think I'll try that crow bar trick if'n I'm ever dumb enough to fix a fence rail again without figuring out how to shut off the power to the damn thing.

I fully understand the reaction them horses give when they get popped for the first time...and why they never again try to push through the fence that got 'em...

• Like 1
When approaching a 4-way stop, the vehicle with the biggest tires has the right of way!

had a "lectric" fencer called a "King Sting"  that s.o.b. was brutal ! you didn't even have to touch it, It would  bite you from a few inches away we had it on a division fence between two 20 acre fields, well one day I got an irrigation pipe latch caught in the wire, not wanting to make a 1/2 mile round trip walk to unplug it I  thought i've  got rubber gloves and boots on I can do this........after getting stung 6 or7 times I made the1/2 mile long walk to turn it off then the 1/2 mile walk to turn it back on again cuz the only thing worse than its bite was the ole mans if the cows got out !  

• Like 1

Rowdy! The thing is designed to discourage farm animals up to 2500lbs!  That thing could "tickle you to death!" All kidding aside, if you still felt soreness a day later you should have your doctor check you out! I don't know your age or medical history but I suspect if you're anything like me you would rather drink used motor oil than go to the doctor but sometimes it's a good idea! I recently had some minor cardiac surgery and it will make you realize what a thin grip we can have on life!

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2017 at 11:19 AM, BillyT said:

Rowdy! The thing is designed to discourage farm animals up to 2500lbs!  That thing could "tickle you to death!" All kidding aside, if you still felt soreness a day later you should have your doctor check you out! I don't know your age or medical history but I suspect if you're anything like me you would rather drink used motor oil than go to the doctor but sometimes it's a good idea! I recently had some minor cardiac surgery and it will make you realize what a thin grip we can have on life!

All the electric fences i've seen worked either by battery or solar power,  but when I was a kid I remember my Daddy telling of a man that had his fence wired right into his house current, and it killed his mule. I guess he just didn't know any better.

Producer of poorly photo-chopped pictures since 1999.

23 hours ago, Mike said:

OD that's a priceless one. Yes I laughed my butte off again. When I was a kid visiting my grandad, we were standing near his garage where he had planted a small evergreen bush. His boxer dog came over and peed on the new bush. When the electric pulse hit, the pee went back up in the dog causing enormous great pain. That dog immediately broke the land speed record and sound barrier at the same time. I know if Don Garlett the Swamp Rat had heard of this dog, he would have wanted to know it's secret . That dog never came home. He probably is still on the run.

My grandfather told me once (I'm not sure how true).   They use to have a loose dog in the neighborhood always getting in there burn barrel after the trash.   He cut the end off of an extension cord, stuck it in a peice of meat, and plugged it in.     Supposedly that night the dog grabbed the meat and they heard it barking/howling all night.     They never had a dog issue after that.    

My dad would clean fish near the trash cans, and throw the remains with newspapers in.So apparently, we had cat issues. I remember having to sometimes go out and pick up trash. He had used the 110 method. Never had any more trouble with anything after that. OH! and I do recall a screw in Buss Fuse was used once.

• Like 1

My son when he was young put his dog food in a trash barrel in a shed near the dog pen. There was a coon getting into the barrel at night so i told him to use 110. That worked great for maybe a week till he for got one evening to disconnect the 110.I heard him squeal.

• Like 1

glenn akers

Yeah, I was sure only the top and middle strand of barbed wire were hot.  Thought the dog was stupid 'cause he wouldn't go under the bottom strand and get the pheasant....

So I grabbed that bottom strand to pull it up for clearance for him to go under.  Knocked me on my ass.  Did you ever see a trained lab laugh?  I did.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, grayhair said:

Yeah, I was sure only the top and middle strand of barbed wire were hot.  Thought the dog was stupid 'cause he wouldn't go under the bottom strand and get the pheasant....

So I grabbed that bottom strand to pull it up for clearance for him to go under.  Knocked me on my ass.  Did you ever see a trained lab laugh?  I did.

LMAO 

We the unwilling, Lead by the unqualified, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful.